Help identifying rocks and minerals

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I accidentally posted this in the gold prospecting forum and am not sure how to move it here as I believe this may be the most appropriate forum. Please advise if not.

I have been doing a lot of research on the areas where I am and need help on identifying minerals.

Below are pictures from different sites. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

I am wanting to know which areas should I be looking at for possible gold or other minerals of interest/worth.

Also, with the rusty quartz, what is the probability of gold being in it, and if so how to get it out, and would there be placer gold close by on the hill? These areas have not had a detector through them as yet. When I go over these areas I get so many hits it's driving me crazy. So far I have only dug up solid hits and found bullets/shells. I use an X-Terra 705 Gold Pack with DD coil.

These rocks are spread over around 600 acres.

Non magnetic rock with dark grey/black sheen.
1392192919_img_4921.jpg

Dirty rusty quartz from quartz outcrop on top of hill from an extrusive quartz arenite, siltstone and shale forming distal flysch sequence (still learning what that all means but getting there )next to a major fault line. This is from the Ordovican era. I know that there was a gold mine a few kilometres away that have the same geology rock wise according to the geology map.
1392192961_img_4925.jpg

Close up of quartz with gold/red sheen. What is that sheen?
1392192985_img_4941.jpg

Ironstone/quartz contact on rusty quartz - is this a good sign? And if so, what types of minerals would be associated?
1392193076_img_4933.jpg

Rock found on fault with gold coloured specs throughout (may be pyrite?) and is from a fault line where the above meets with Grey green dacite ignimbrite, limestone and shale lenses, minor rhyolite and andesite. This is from the solarian era. It is from a one of the large rocks that is sticking out of the ground sideways. It is near a cold spring.
1392193022_img_4930.jpg

Magnetic hot rock from outcrop on fault line. Looks like gossan. Its from another area and is not quartz, it is magnetic and goes off under the detector. It is on the fault line where tuff and ingnimbrite, feldspathic sandstone and siltstone from the Devonian era meet with the previous mentioned extrusive quartz section, where the rusty quartz is from. I have found quartz veins nearby - some 100 - 150 meters, although thin.
1392193132_img_4943.jpg

Rock found near an intrusive area that is quartz-feldspar porphyry, adamellite, granodiorite.
1392193161_img_4927.jpg

I have done some crushing but need advise on which ones would be best to cut open/crush and best way to do it. I am not an experienced 'panner' or prospector.

Thank you in advance, I do appreciate the help. :D

Merry

Latest posts