Any clues on this slug.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzzieAu

I’m a bloke
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this today while relic hunting in the South Parklands of Adelaide, not more than a km. from the CBD.
Was wondering what type of munition it is.
Diameter is 7.8 mm. (.303?)
Weight is 13.5 gm.
Brass/bronze/copper alloy?.... definitely not lead.
How did it get here?????
1591607906_4ff73d40-0955-46f5-955f-bdbb38488b7c.jpg

1591607907_7529fcb5-0a18-4c57-8f3c-e89165e889c3.jpg

Cheers.

Only tapped whatever it hit, so it musta slowed after travelling a fair way.... probly someone shooting at a duck on wing or a bird in tree (but maybe missed) :Y:

CreviceSucker said:
I was reluctant to open this post in case it was a photo of some bloke with his wang in the wind !
No, this slug is an inanimate metal one. :power: :lol:
Whats it doing in the middle of a city park tho....even if youre letting loose into the air, its not a bloody bb pellet ffs.

being 7.8 mm more likley a 8mm mauser round 303 is 7.7 mm they normaly dont grow in size and finding old projectiles in parks around towns is pretty normal a member for this site and i have done a few parks where he lives and we have found a few even live rounds

OzzieAu said:
Thanks goldtrapper, is that special military issue and how old would it be ?

Would be Military issue to Comomwealth forces till the changeover to MKVII 174gn Spire point copper jacketed rounds took over prior to WWI. Were probably some still being used up until the 1920's.
The MKVI had a different barrel twist to the MKVII ammo. Should weigh 215gn's.

Latest posts