Gemstone Fossicking Methods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seeing as we now have a few experienced gemstone fossickers on here, I thought it would be a great idea to start a topic about the methods used. I for one would love to get have a serious go this, you guys have got me interested :)

Please include any tools and equipment that might be needed.

Hi Nugget....The most important items are a pair of sieves...1/4" and 1/8". A standard pointy nose shovel and the picks we all use gold detecting are the other "must" items. Things like large picks and crow bars are handy in some areas...especially in the dry areas of central Qld but usually not needed when working creeks with water.

In some areas the use of a hi banker can dramatically boost your daily taking but these also have their drawbacks if they are not real portable....most good areas require at least a short walk from the car and basic hand tools give you more freedom to walk up the creeks.

Each of the gem varieties require a slightly different method of recovery. Sapphires for instance concentrate themselves on the deepest layers of wash and are therefore often found with gold bearing gravels. They're nearly always found in association with zircons and spinnel (a black shiny stone )with a close specific gravity to sapphires..We generally say..."no spinnel...no sapphires ". As with gold ...the best places to dig are behind large boulders and in natural bedrock traps. Clay layers or .."false Bottoms " can be great traps especially when close to decomposing bedrock.

Reading the streams is basically the same as reading the streams for gold..Gold traps along what we call the "gold line" and sapphires do the same..They concentrate along this line and are only forced from it during a substantial flood.

The most important thing with Gemstones is to go to the areas where they are commonly found. You get the odd ones while panning in gold areas.....but you're never going to get many and disappointment will soon set in when you're back gives up for no returns. Most states have well detailed descriptions of the gem areas as does the "Australian Gem and Treasure " magazine.

If anybody wants to know where we fossick I'm more than happy to let you know...and if ever anyone wants to join us you're more than welcome.....Cheers Wal.

well you have just about said what i was going to tell nugget :( but heres what i use

1. a shovel
2. a pick
3. a crow bar
4. 1-4 sives
5. 1-5 buckets
6. wand windlass for digging 14 ft holes at mooralla for smokeys
7. a small bottle to put small gems in lol
8. tweezers for small gems
9. a geo pic
10. a slege hamer
11. a malot hamer and cold chizel
12. a head torch
13. waders
14. jumboots
15. wet sute and snorkel
16. camping gear
17. a hat
18. steel caped boots
19. a hard hat
20. a vest if in a quarry
21. acid to take off iron on my crystals
22. grinder and cuting saw for grinding my rocks/gems and cuting them
23. a pan for paning for small sapphires
24. a verry strong bag for rocks
25. a portable angle grinder with a diamond blade for cuting out big chunks of rock
...................................ect :D

HTY, sounds like you don't travel light & need a truck to get about LOL! :D

I wouldn't mind having a crack at finding some pretty rocks/gemstones too. Got me curious...

Specially since most gold panners already have the tools to look for gems etc.
Just got to figure out where to go & what to do/look out for.

Best go chat to a local PMAV member I know who's fairly knowledgeable on this topic.

Thanks HTY, I was going to have a good crack at the Gems but after seeing what I needed I ran into a little problem. I only have 1 semi trailer not 2, so not sure how I would get all the gear there :p Don't think there was too much missing from your list. If I go for gems I'm coming with you. I have a case of beer ;)

Dogmatic said:
Thanks HTY, I was going to have a good crack at the Gems but after seeing what I needed I ran into a little problem. I only have 1 semi trailer not 2, so not sure how I would get all the gear there :p Don't think there was too much missing from your list. If I go for gems I'm coming with you. I have a case of beer ;)

cheers just send a pm and well go gem hunting :D :D

Hey y'all,

I was interested in fossicking for gemstones and joined my local lapidary club....best move! They will often have the machinery to polish and shape your gemstones. The hunt is half the fun I know but when you bring out the real beauty in a stone it's very satisfying. I used to give polished stones away for presents, but these days I'm cleaning rocks in a highbanker looking for the yellow. There are some good websites that will sell you raw gemstones that can only be found overseas like Lapis Lazuli. Worth looking at for that special piece for a loved one.

the duck, I have a large piece of fossilized wood from Moonlight head. As a kid I lived at Wattle Hill and went to school at Lavers Hill. Pebble beach at Moonlight Head is the place to find semi precious stones. Magnificent but dangerous coast.

Latest posts