Sd2100 vs qed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday all Im just after some advice fairly new to the scene Im after a new detector well not new Im tossing up between a mine lab as 2100 and a qed my budget cant stretch to a sdc at this stage my question is whats a better machine the mine lab or the qed Im aware that they no longer make the 2100 anymore but second hand still available
Im trying to concentrate on gold in fairly high mineralised ground around the heathcote areas if anyone has any any advice or a machine for sale that would be fantastic I like the qed for the simple fact that its Aussie made cheers Dave

G'day Dave welcome to PA the SD2100 is Aussie made too. As for which machine to invest in I'd put my money on the QED. The QED is a relatively new machine and should retain a decent resale value if you choose to move it on whereas the SD2100 was released in the 90`s and any issues might make it difficult to repair.

Use the search icon top left and check out the threads that mention both machines to help with your decision making.

Not sure to be honest it all depends on what it comes with in the way of extras. I've never used one but there are plenty on here who have and do. Once again using the search icon top left and your search engine word QED you will find threads in the for sale section. Maybe already sold but if the thread has the details of what is for sale and the asking price it will act as a guide.

Edit : Also have a look through the Closed Trades thread's to see what's in there as a reference.

Ded Driver said:
dont be too hasty to discount the SD2100 if one comes along at a good price.
They were, & still are a good machine, & there's good techy's around that can repair & service them...
AuMan is one for an example.

DED
That's good info. They were a good machine. Mlab stopped fixing those and others ages ago. Great someone can still keep them going repair wise. :Y:

I've been a QED owner for about three weeks now, got about 40 ish hours on it... Now its a good machine, gets okay depth and good sensitivity on small gold (with the appropriate size coil)

I had written out half a page of all the things i dislike about the QED in only the short time I've owned it, but I'll cut it short and just give you the no BS answer.

BUY A MINELAB... (maybe not a 2100) look for a 2200D or 2200v2 they can be had for $1200-1400

As to why? ... flip on a minelab, ground balance and you're off swinging.

Flip on the QED, and you've got to D!@# around with a bunch of bullS!@# settings for 5 minutes trying to get it stable enough to start swinging..
the interface is digital clunky, its target response is a bag of D!@ks .. simply put, if i could send it back for a full refund, i would, in a big hurry.

Yer unfortunately my budget just cant stretch that far otherwise I would unless I can get one for under $2000 I would but at this stage it isnt going to happen unless I have a bumper hay season cheers anyway fellas ?

Cheers mxt sniper I will keep my eye open for one hopefully it comes sooner rather than later going to sell my 705 as it doesnt cut the mustard but have found some great coins though

for around or under 2k you should be able to pickup a GP unit.. GP Extreme, 3000... MAYBE even a 3500.. anyway good luck. (don't buy a qed) :)

Are the whites Tdi sl pulse induction machines any good are they on par with the sd 2200 or a gp machine

I have a TDI pro oz. They are a good machine although not as powerful generally speaking as a minelab. The discrimination setup can be quite useful at times especially for coin hunting. I've found coins very deep with mine.

Does the QED have a sufficient coil selection? Minelabs have a wide range of coils available both in house and after market. The TDI was produced with the intent that the coils which mate to the SD/GPX series could be useable. The compatibility of these coils to the TDI is somewhat sketchy and that in itself could be a whole new topic.

I've been on the fence about a GP 3500. Can anyone give me an approximate size of a nugget that would be detectable with an 11" DD coil?

Latest posts