Durikai, Talgai, Thanes creek (Qld) Queensland information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mr Tee,

My wife and I have been to Talgai and Durikai about half a dozen times in the last 2 months. Have found plenty of targets but no gold yet. We seem to be doing things correctly, just no luck YET! We have a GPX 4500 and an sdc 2300. We are undaunted, and will certainly go back there. Next time I think we will do a lot more walking deeper into the GPA's (with the GPS of course). All the best with it!

Ednell

Hi guys would like to know everyones thoughts on Talgai prospecting area, I have never been there but would like to know if it is worth trying it out detecting and any tips you might have.
Cheers.

Hi Mike. Ive walked a bit. There. Hilly. Bit confusing at first on how it get it. Down south from the road. Theres signs. Mine shafts keep out but next to it theres a GPA sign. It would a good idea to take a GPS. So you know your in the correct area. Theres mining leases in there. Just keep away from them. The creek running down the middle is always good for a pan when water is in it. But now days dry dry dry. So you need to soak the dirt for a week. Very fine gold. Pull into the Karara Pub. Ask for Pete , he has maps and tell where to go in.

Ward69 said:
Hi Mike. Ive walked a bit. There. Hilly. Bit confusing at first on how it get it. Down south from the road. Theres signs. Mine shafts keep out but next to it theres a GPA sign. It would a good idea to take a GPS. So you know your in the correct area. Theres mining leases in there. Just keep away from them. The creek running down the middle is always good for a pan when water is in it. But now days dry dry dry. So you need to soak the dirt for a week. Very fine gold. Pull into the Karara Pub. Ask for Pete , he has maps and tell where to go in.

Thanks Ward69 do they find any nuggets there? So in the GPA there are mining leases?

No mining leases within the GPA area. Right next to them , I know both parties, one is hard rock digging down and the other hasnt started to date. Didnt find any nuggets to that area, mainly over at duriki.

Been to both talgai and durikai..a lot of lead in talgai..no luck at durikai ..I'm slowly working my way through the area something may send the Detector singing..

Dunn Gully in Talgai produced some of the largest nuggets found in the area.
You will find a lot of dry wash left behind from the blowers.
People seem to put a lot of effort lifting some of them huge boulders and shoring them up. Might have something to do with the gold. lol

Friday Gully has a lot of history, and leads to all the main cluster of mines. That being said, rubbish in the gully, a lot of rubbish. But that is half the fun.
So detecting will net you a lot of rubbish and work, but it might also net you some big ones left behind. Patience is key.
Same goes for Dunns Gully.

I have found a couple of pieces there, and would love to spend more time. But I guess that is the same with everyplace.

If you go, good luck (success)

Durikai and Talgai have both been heavily worked, being an easy day trip for Brissy or the GC, I think everyone who owns a detector has swung over the area at some point. Been there a few times with the 4500 and the 5000, never found anything apart from rubbish, had more luck with a pan in the creeks when they're flowing.

Love the area and the bush but I think it's much more luck than planning that finds gold there.

Now we go South of the border in a different direction, as we have some new spots, a bit further to go, but colour in every pan when we headed out for a day a few months ago.

Just a notice to anyone prospecting the durakai..
Arial 1080 baiting has been done(signs everywhere), surrounding property's baiting heavy to so it's a no go for your dog if ya have one.

20xwater said:
Arial 1080 baiting has been done(signs everywhere), surrounding property's baiting heavy to so it's a no go for your dog if ya have one.
And don't pick up any stake for the BBQ :8

20xwater said:

Good post :Y: with the easing of restrictions I'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to get out of the house :beer:

Hi All
Heading to durakia tomorrow just wondering if theres been any rain over there .Newbie 1st time to durakai done a bit of research but being there will be a lot of fun with the family.have a gm1000 and equinox 800

RM Outback said:
20xwater said:

Good post :Y: with the easing of restrictions I'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to get out of the house :beer:
I won't dig without my dog, waiting for the border to re-open

Hi guys!

Pretty new to the prospecting scene, but have been bitten by the bug well and truly! I'm heading out to Durakai this weekend for my second trip to the area. Last time I managed to find a few specs (less than .1g) along fossil creek just panning and am excited to explore some more.

I'm not looking for anyone's secret spots but it would be great if I could get a few pointers on general areas I could try pan some of the shiney stuff.

Cheers guys!

Latest posts