Newbie digging in Lowmead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My name's Terri, I've always been into gems and rocks however I've only just discovered Lowmead in the last two weeks, even though I've lived in Bundy for 15 years. Apparently I live under a rock... Pun intended haha.

Now i know a fair bit has been posted about Lowmead already but I wanted to start fresh and get a bit of help.

The partner, kids and myself headed out over the weekend to have a bit of a dig, we weren't overly successful, finding only a few little gems after digging for 2 hours and hurting my sciatic after only ten minutes of sieving :rolleyes: . It appears it's been pretty well dug out so I don't expect to find anything that will allow an early retirement but to be honest I'm not 100% sure exactly what the indicators are that I should be looking for, even after scouring the internet (and lefty's posts and replies as he seems to be the go to man on here) for info as the few gems we found sat right on top or near the clay.

I have heard that there is another spot around lowmead that isn't just the triangle on clarkes road but from what I gather, it's private property and you need permission to dig there (I could be wrong though).

Anyway, I apologise for the novel but any advice or tips would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Lowmead is just about dug out in the area where you are allowed to dig... Some still have some success tho... If you are digging in an area that the stones in the dirt are around the same size, you are digging in someones old dig... Look for various size stones in the dirt and you just may have found a patch that hasn't been dug before..

Yes there are other areas near by but as you said, Private Property....

You won't 'Retire' finding Crystals, unless you are Patrick Gunderson... Have a Google of what that guy finds.... :eek: ;)

LW...

I have had mixed results from lowmead,some days you win some, :) days you loose, 8.( as lone wolf said if the stones are all the same size pick another spot.

When looking for a new spot i take the pelican pick and a 1/4" sieve for a walk and test dig,scrape the top couple of inches off and dig about 1 foot deep and sieve ,if you have stones of various sizes you are on new ground if not test dig somewhere else

About this time last year my sister was visiting and we had a dig for a couple of days ,we got some show and tell stuff and six nice stones, the pick of the stones was a 82 carat smokey quartz ,about a third of the stone was cloudy but the rest was clear :argh:

But like all fossicking and prospecting there is always way too much empty dirt you dig before you find what you are looking for 8.(