Dopping and Cabbing Rocks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the wax do you think this would work ?

2 of these , 1 for wax and 1 for rocks

1590814599_pie_tin.jpg

sitting on 1 of these

1590814882_simmer_ring.jpg

On top of this little cooker

1590814957_portable-butane-stove.jpg

With the wax do you really need to use the shellac as well ?

Xcvator have a look at blackopaldirect.com where you will find a couple of useful videos on dopping.

xcvator said:
For the wax do you think this would work ?

2 of these , 1 for wax and 1 for rocks

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8322/1590814599_pie_tin.jpg

sitting on 1 of these

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8322/1590814882_simmer_ring.jpg

On top of this little cooker

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ges/8322/1590814957_portable-butane-stove.jpg

With the wax do you really need to use the shellac as well ?

I thought of using these things as I have them all at home already

Bunnings $8 - Loctite PRECISION Super Glue (recommended out of all the super glues), initially, final setting I use Tite-On, but I think 2 part Araldite will work just as well. A torch flame on the dop will release the stone within 10 seconds.

Pat Hogen said:
Bunnings $8 - Loctite PRECISION Super Glue (recommended out of all the super glues), initially, final setting I use Tite-On, but I think 2 part Araldite will work just as well. A torch flame on the dop will release the stone within 10 seconds.

can you explain this "initially" part please Pat, is this for cabbing or facetting ?

steve f said:
40w hot glue gun and a glue stick is all you need

I've got a little BGS 10w glue gun, tried it with the stone cold and warm, just fell off,( wooden dop stick ) is there a secret to using a glue gun ?

Thinking 2 alternatives atm

1/ superglue
pros=quick, strong
cons=acetone to release(highly volatile)probably need a pin vice to hold small nails as dop sticks,might need reinforcing with epoxy ( how to release ?) {and messy }

2/ wax
pros=tried and proven ? (might need shellac for strength), easy to remove from dop stick
cons=needs outside heat to melt the wax, prone to failure if not done exactly right.

I'm not wanting to start a glue v's wax discussion, just what is overall the easiest,most reliable way of doping. Personally I don't care which I use provided it WORKS RELIABLY.Once I'm committed to a system I can't afford to go back and change.

Acetone (a type of paint thinners) is available from Supercheap in the Paint section, or just steal some of the Mrs Nail polish remover... Most are Acetone based.. Should be on the label somewhere if it is or not......

Just got 2 litres for the Daughter to melt off her acrylic nails with... ;)

LW....

I don't have any problems with the wax xcvator, i only do cabs ,i use the green cabbing wax on dowel dops

I use the dop pot from aussie sapphire to melt the wax it has a edge around the dop pot to heat the stones up too ,you will need a lid for it ,it does not like cool/cold weather it has trouble melting the wax,i found the lid of a lortone 3 lb tumbler barrel is a good fit

SS

cons=acetone to release(highly volatile)probably need a pin vice to hold small nails as dop sticks,might need reinforcing with epoxy ( how to release ?) {and messy }

No to all the above. A cigarette lighter on the dop will release the stone, that is all that is required. Use a cloth to hold the stone but the stone should not be allowed to get so hot that you cannot touch it.
Use a nail or toothpick to apply epoxy to dop and stone.

There is nothing complicated in it. Clean up with acetate a small jar or bowl.

No to all the above. A cigarette lighter on the dop will release the stone, that is all that is required. Use a cloth to hold the stone but the stone should not be allowed to get so hot that you cannot touch it.
Use a nail or toothpick to apply epoxy to dop and stone.

There is nothing complicated in it. Clean up with acetate a small jar or bowl.

Why is my dopping wax sticking to the stones, lots of it, bung the stones in the freezer, 10 minutes or over night, doesn't matter. The only way I can get it off is to warm the stone and carve the wax off.

Think I'll stick ( :D ) with super glue and acetone

Latest posts