You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

7.62marksman
18 March 2019 05:00 pm

I don't want this post to turn into a s%*t fight about what must be carried who is right or wrong etc etc
if you have something to add then please add it (photos would be good)
if you dont have anything constructive to say or add then shut up and move onto another post

Lets see what you all carry on your person when moving away from your veh/camp site
in an area you have never been to
or in an area you think you know like the back of your hand

Four things that are not shown that i carry are

1: Sat Phone (on loan) don't trust them out in the field but carry one
2: Map of the area i am going into (hard copy)
3: 2 x space blankets
4: 2 x 24 hour ration packs

for those that don't know what the item is above the PLB its an Infa Red Distress Marker Light and strobe light

This is MY OPINION ONLY i don't carry electronic maps as there is to much can go wrong with them
I have a VMS in the Turtle to get me into the general area i wish to go after that it is hard copy maps and compass

1552887284_100_8033.jpg

and this is what i carry it in

1552887310_100_8034.jpg

Last edited by 7.62marksman (18 March 2019 05:01 pm)

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), 3lt Turbo D Hilux, 14ft Olympic semi off road Caravan, Member of the "Banker Gang"

6 users like this post: MegsyB007, RM Outback, Ded Driver, dam it, Nightjar, LoneWolf

Ded Driver
18 March 2019 05:53 pm

my kit is very similar. the infrared beacon is a good idea I dont have. reckon i might add one
I also have a small pouch of kindling & water purification tablets

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

7.62marksman
18 March 2019 05:57 pm

Ded Driver wrote:

my kit is very similar. the infrared beacon is a good idea I dont have. reckon i might add one
I also have a small pouch of kindling & water purification tablets

thats a good idea might get some

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), 3lt Turbo D Hilux, 14ft Olympic semi off road Caravan, Member of the "Banker Gang"

Smoky bandit
18 March 2019 06:09 pm

I only go to Gympie area and surrounds...So the only safety equipment I need Is Aerogard. smile beer

No pain No gain..

5 users like this post: RM Outback, 7.62marksman, Ded Driver, LoneWolf, Thomo

savage bitter
18 March 2019 07:01 pm

I have a old round lolly tin with about 70 bits in it from matches thred and needle fish hook plus line Panadol mirror razor blade tooth pick small bit of wire alfoil and so on always comes in handy

2 users like this post: 7.62marksman, LoneWolf

Rockhunter62
18 March 2019 07:19 pm

Put a pack of cards in your kit. You can guarantee that if you start playing patience, someone will put their head over your shoulder and "say that card". mad

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

5 users like this post: 7.62marksman, Ded Driver, LoneWolf, AngerManagement, Pete E

Ded Driver
18 March 2019 07:25 pm

Rockhunter62 wrote:

Put a pack of cards in your kit. You can guarantee that if you start playing patience, someone will put their head over your shoulder and "say that card". mad
Cheers
Doug

playful
interesting comment Doug. Bob Cooper (survival training I mentioned in another thread), in his merchandise is a pack of cards & for exactly that while you wait for help, & on the back of each are safety & survival tips.

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

4 users like this post: 7.62marksman, robmoto, Gilly47, Rockhunter62

savage bitter
18 March 2019 07:32 pm

a good bit of safety gear I a good range of tools but not draggin the whole work shop behind you a good socket set screw drivers plyers hammer spanners and so on

1 user likes this post: 7.62marksman

savage bitter
18 March 2019 08:00 pm

a friend of mine carrys burnt cotton for fire starting the smallest spark and it fires up straight away is an old timers trick he told me have seen it work

2 users like this post: 7.62marksman, RM Outback

7.62marksman
18 March 2019 08:03 pm

ok i will have to try that one thanks mate thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

LoneWolf
18 March 2019 08:22 pm

Waxed playing cards are also good for fires.... And i also like the 9v battery and steel wool too...

LW....

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Union Proud and Union Strong... A.M.W.U Active Member....

3 users like this post: 7.62marksman, RM Outback, CreviceSucker

madtuna
18 March 2019 08:27 pm

I'm no Bear Grylls so I just carry a lighter

Extremely handsome covered in a fairly thick coating of ugly
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9zIt … KCVngVrjg?

4 users like this post: Smoky bandit, RM Outback, 7.62marksman, CreviceSucker

Smoky bandit
18 March 2019 08:32 pm

savage bitter wrote:

a friend of mine carrys burnt cotton for fire starting the smallest spark and it fires up straight away is an old timers trick he told me have seen it work

Yep works well..Even if it not burnt a flint will catch it straight away usually on the first strike. thumbsup

No pain No gain..

3 users like this post: goody2shoes, savage bitter, 7.62marksman

Rockhunter62
18 March 2019 09:22 pm

madtuna wrote:

I'm no Bear Grylls so I just carry a lighter

I thought you gave up smoking Steve? sad

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

goody2shoes
18 March 2019 10:06 pm

Cotton wool, petroleum jelly, Flint,, Alfoil

They are always part of my kit...

Plus the inside of a toilet roll full of newspaper,

Goody neutral

madtuna
18 March 2019 10:07 pm

Still carry a lighter Doug...every vehicle has a couple, every pack has a couple. Never leave home without one

Extremely handsome covered in a fairly thick coating of ugly
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9zIt … KCVngVrjg?

3 users like this post: goody2shoes, Rockhunter62, 7.62marksman

Ded Driver
19 March 2019 01:04 am

this thread is a very good idea 7.62
It has made me rethink how I store & carry some stuff as I have some stuff full time in my 4WD, some stuff in a pack stored with camping gear, some stuff in with my detecting gear 'important box', & I sometimes pull a bit from here & a bit from there to reassemble a pack depending on where im going & what im doing.
This is inefficient & I don't always keep good track of what Ive given away (I have a habit of coming across people poorly equipped & I give them stuff, more often than not friends of mine that should know better)
for example, Aust Day Long Weekend with dirt bikes out in the bush, a fair few people camped in the area where we were, kids running around unsupervised. I gave the eldest looking kid (about 13) the whistle out of my camel back & told him what it was for. Didn't hear that whistle so I figured he took on board what I told him about 'don't cry wolf' but to let his parents know he had it. tonight while thinking about it & going thru some gear I discovered the new whistle I bought & placed in a pocket where I normally wouldn't put it.
All food for thought, about what you carry & how you carry it.
Im now going to do a full reset, check, refurbish & renew where necessary.
cheers for the prod thumbsup

mudgee hunter
19 March 2019 08:47 am

I keep my old phone and charger in my glove box for back up.
And definitely a spare bottle open next to it!

Member of the "Banker Gang"

Pete E
27 May 2020 10:43 pm

7.62marksman wrote:

I don't want this post to turn into a s%*t fight about what must be carried who is right or wrong etc etc
if you have something to add then please add it (photos would be good)
if you dont have anything constructive to say or add then shut up and move onto another post

Lets see what you all carry on your person when moving away from your veh/camp site
in an area you have never been to
or in an area you think you know like the back of your hand

Four things that are not shown that i carry are

1: Sat Phone (on loan) don't trust them out in the field but carry one
2: Map of the area i am going into (hard copy)
3: 2 x space blankets
4: 2 x 24 hour ration packs

for those that don't know what the item is above the PLB its an Infa Red Distress Marker Light and strobe light

This is MY OPINION ONLY i don't carry electronic maps as there is to much can go wrong with them
I have a VMS in the Turtle to get me into the general area i wish to go after that it is hard copy maps and compass

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 0_8033.jpg

and this is what i carry it in

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 0_8034.jpg

I assume that strobe have a visible light function as well?

When I did a lot of deer stalking in the remoter parts of the UK, I carried a civilian strobe that ran off one C cell battery. The only problem with it was battery life as it only had about a 20 hour duration which is not even two winter nights worth over here..

I haven't looked lately but I would think LED strobes must be available these days and they would be the way to go....

7.62marksman
28 May 2020 08:09 am

Yes it does mate

1 user likes this post: Pete E

Anniegee
28 May 2020 10:47 am

Pete E... the PLB battery lasts for 10 years

I am willing to be pleasantly surprised!

Idlewild
03 August 2020 10:37 am

One thing I always carry when I go bush is a slingshot .
Great defensive weapon for dingoes / wild dogs or anything else that wants to have a go at you .
Will get you something to eat if you find yourself in that sort of situation .
Negligible weight and it takes up very little space in your backpack .
I also carry a spare set of rubbers and a small bag of marbles .

I never knew what true happiness was until I got married , but by then it was too late .
Minelab SDC 2300 - Minelab Gold Monster 1000 plus a whole bunch of other crap I'll probably never use .

3 users like this post: pinfire opals, Thomo, GreenRiver

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site