Safety Equipment and training

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockhunter62 said:
Put a pack of cards in your kit. You can guarantee that if you start playing patience, someone will put their head over your shoulder and "say that card". :mad:
Cheers
Doug
:playful:
interesting comment Doug. Bob Cooper (survival training I mentioned in another thread), in his merchandise is a pack of cards & for exactly that while you wait for help, & on the back of each are safety & survival tips.

a good bit of safety gear I a good range of tools but not draggin the whole work shop behind you a good socket set screw drivers plyers hammer spanners and so on

Cotton wool, petroleum jelly, Flint,, Alfoil

They are always part of my kit...

Plus the inside of a toilet roll full of newspaper,

Goody :|

this thread is a very good idea 7.62
It has made me rethink how I store & carry some stuff as I have some stuff full time in my 4WD, some stuff in a pack stored with camping gear, some stuff in with my detecting gear 'important box', & I sometimes pull a bit from here & a bit from there to reassemble a pack depending on where im going & what im doing.
This is inefficient & I don't always keep good track of what Ive given away (I have a habit of coming across people poorly equipped & I give them stuff, more often than not friends of mine that should know better)
for example, Aust Day Long Weekend with dirt bikes out in the bush, a fair few people camped in the area where we were, kids running around unsupervised. I gave the eldest looking kid (about 13) the whistle out of my camel back & told him what it was for. Didn't hear that whistle so I figured he took on board what I told him about 'don't cry wolf' but to let his parents know he had it. tonight while thinking about it & going thru some gear I discovered the new whistle I bought & placed in a pocket where I normally wouldn't put it.
All food for thought, about what you carry & how you carry it.
Im now going to do a full reset, check, refurbish & renew where necessary.
cheers for the prod :Y:

I keep my old phone and charger in my glove box for back up.
And definitely a spare bottle open next to it!

7.62marksman said:
I don't want this post to turn into a s%*t fight about what must be carried who is right or wrong etc etc
if you have something to add then please add it (photos would be good)
if you dont have anything constructive to say or add then shut up and move onto another post

Lets see what you all carry on your person when moving away from your veh/camp site
in an area you have never been to
or in an area you think you know like the back of your hand

Four things that are not shown that i carry are

1: Sat Phone (on loan) don't trust them out in the field but carry one
2: Map of the area i am going into (hard copy)
3: 2 x space blankets
4: 2 x 24 hour ration packs

for those that don't know what the item is above the PLB its an Infa Red Distress Marker Light and strobe light

This is MY OPINION ONLY i don't carry electronic maps as there is to much can go wrong with them
I have a VMS in the Turtle to get me into the general area i wish to go after that it is hard copy maps and compass

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8005/1552887284_100_8033.jpg

and this is what i carry it in

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8005/1552887310_100_8034.jpg

I assume that strobe have a visible light function as well?

When I did a lot of deer stalking in the remoter parts of the UK, I carried a civilian strobe that ran off one C cell battery. The only problem with it was battery life as it only had about a 20 hour duration which is not even two winter nights worth over here..

I haven't looked lately but I would think LED strobes must be available these days and they would be the way to go....

One thing I always carry when I go bush is a slingshot .
Great defensive weapon for dingoes / wild dogs or anything else that wants to have a go at you .
Will get you something to eat if you find yourself in that sort of situation .
Negligible weight and it takes up very little space in your backpack .
I also carry a spare set of rubbers and a small bag of marbles .

Latest posts