40E Permit's for WA - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StayyerAU said:
G'day

Much of the research you can do by means of the computer, tengraph, books, maps and so on and then deciding on where to go is just an educated guess really, as you are just relying on whatever information you can find being accurate for the area, there is no substitute for boots on the ground and until you get on the ground and have a look for yourself then you really have no idea what you have paid for, sometimes these areas have little or nothing of interest and although the information you have gathered makes it look likely to be productive you will soon find out that it is not, or its already been flogged to death anyway.

If you are looking for an area to spend some time camped on for the duration of the 40E then that's well and good, but should the area prove to be unproductive for you then of course you will have to go further afield and that's when people do and will trespass on to neighboring leases, that is the very reason we have always in the past put in several 40E's for use over the period we intend to go for, so that we have options if one or two are duds, I know that many people don't stay on the granted 40E for the whole period and wander the district using the granted place just as a base as we run into people all the time doing just that.

In short I understand that prices increase and cost have to be met, but my point is that the increase was dramatic and if you are putting in for say four permits, knowing that some are not going to be of any use to you and will give you a nil return then instead of $100 you have to pay $360, as we do a couple of weeks up and then a few weeks home in between sometimes we may only get to access the permit area one or maybe two times before it runs out, like I said its a different story if you are from interstate or whatever and intend on staying for a long period in that one area you could possibly see the value in that, but in this day and age with the gold being harder to find and many more boots on the ground moving about and trying as many area as you can during the trip is the only way to get consistent gold.

cheers

stayyerAU

I agree with your first para to a point....don't forget you can pass and re-pass as much as you like. You have said you come up for few weeks and then go home for a break...this would maybe give you the chance to drive around and check out ground before you put a 40e in??

The many people that wander.....they are just thieves. I wish I could put it in better light but you can't be a little bit pregnant as they say...your either doing it legally or illegally.

Can I assume you get onto consistent gold by moving around? If so...with the rise in Au price then what the hell are you on about? You are still so much better off?
I suppose people either see the value in the permit system and keep going on as before or change strategy to suit the budget....things change and you can either fight it/whinge about it or adapt. As a tenement holder I do all three!!!!...with only one approach ever working!!

Goldtalk Leonora said:
StayyerAU said:
G'day

Much of the research you can do by means of the computer, tengraph, books, maps and so on and then deciding on where to go is just an educated guess really, as you are just relying on whatever information you can find being accurate for the area, there is no substitute for boots on the ground and until you get on the ground and have a look for yourself then you really have no idea what you have paid for, sometimes these areas have little or nothing of interest and although the information you have gathered makes it look likely to be productive you will soon find out that it is not, or its already been flogged to death anyway.

If you are looking for an area to spend some time camped on for the duration of the 40E then that's well and good, but should the area prove to be unproductive for you then of course you will have to go further afield and that's when people do and will trespass on to neighboring leases, that is the very reason we have always in the past put in several 40E's for use over the period we intend to go for, so that we have options if one or two are duds, I know that many people don't stay on the granted 40E for the whole period and wander the district using the granted place just as a base as we run into people all the time doing just that.

In short I understand that prices increase and cost have to be met, but my point is that the increase was dramatic and if you are putting in for say four permits, knowing that some are not going to be of any use to you and will give you a nil return then instead of $100 you have to pay $360, as we do a couple of weeks up and then a few weeks home in between sometimes we may only get to access the permit area one or maybe two times before it runs out, like I said its a different story if you are from interstate or whatever and intend on staying for a long period in that one area you could possibly see the value in that, but in this day and age with the gold being harder to find and many more boots on the ground moving about and trying as many area as you can during the trip is the only way to get consistent gold.

cheers

stayyerAU

I agree with your first para to a point....don't forget you can pass and re-pass as much as you like. You have said you come up for few weeks and then go home for a break...this would maybe give you the chance to drive around and check out ground before you put a 40e in??

The many people that wander.....they are just thieves. I wish I could put it in better light but you can't be a little bit pregnant as they say...your either doing it legally or illegally.

Can I assume you get onto consistent gold by moving around? If so...with the rise in Au price then what the hell are you on about? You are still so much better off?
I suppose people either see the value in the permit system and keep going on as before or change strategy to suit the budget....things change and you can either fight it/whinge about it or adapt. As a tenement holder I do all three!!!!...with only one approach ever working!!

G'day

Unless you have not noticed the price of gold is up but we are unable to get up to the goldfields from Perth to take advantage of it-, all is well for you lot that are marooned where the gold is poor buggers :lol: but us mere mortals will have to wait until our nannies decide we are responsible enough to go out of the metropolitan area.

Cheers

stayyer AU

People that are and have been detecting in WA over the past years, this is what is now happening, the DMIRS (wa dmp) have stopped issuing 40e permits for pastoral leases in WA that are held by the Aboriginal Lands board. There is 61 pastoral leases on the list at the present time

"The following has just come to my attention it will effect all prospectors who love their passion of prospecting in WA without this complication..
I would ask you all to copy and paste the following to all the sites and groups u belong to..this needs to be stopped
Cheers

Hi Scottie, for your info new clause has been written into WA Mining Act where any pastoral leases owned by Aboriginal Lands board will not allow any prospecting 40E applications.on their leases. This covers a lot of the goldfields."

Dave,
Just received notification from APLA, support is required.
Next move will be "NO ENTRY" signs.
Any members here who prospects now or in the future in WA should think very seriously about joining APLA (if not already a member) to support our cause.
*** 1 gram + is all it takes for membership.***

Not good news dave but it comes across to me as its only in force while the virus is about,thats how i read it......

APLA members, after the good news yesterday regarding the removal of WAs Regional Borders, we now have some bad news.

A number of Aboriginal Corporations own Pastoral Stations across WA and some of those are in the Goldfields areas. The Mines Minister has powers within the Mining Act to exercise his discretion to grant or refuse Sect 40e applications. In this case he has chosen to refuse to grant any Sect 40e permits where the permit area is within any pastoral station that is owned by any Aboriginal Corporation.

Here's the text direct from senior management in DMIRS and we have attached the list of affected pastoral and business areas. There are some very serious implications in this move and APLA will be asking questions of the Minister pointing out several flaws in any logic used that arrived at this decision and the implications therein.

Hello Les,

For your information, further to the uplift of the moratorium on the lodgement and processing of section 40E permits, the Minister has made a declaration under section 40F of the Mining Act removing Pastoral Leases leased by Aboriginal Corporations from the provisions of section 40E of the Act. The declaration was published in the Government Gazette on Friday 22 May 2020 (page 1254).

The Ministers intent is clear, he is anxious to extend protection to the Aboriginal communities across Western Australia, including those on pastoral leases.

In light of the declaration Mining Registrars are reviewing the underlying land interest and will be contacting affected applicants for 40E permits lodged before today that intersect or are entirely within the declared specified areas and explaining options available to them.

The File Notation Areas are promoted to TENGRAPH so individuals will be able to identify that land that is removed from the operation of section 40E. The position paper is going up on the Departments website along with other COVID-19 information.

The Ministers declaration can be varied or cancelled by the Minister at any time but takes effect on the date of gazettal.

The attached position paper sets out the consequences of the declaration and provides some further information on the section 40E permit and regional travel restrictions.

G'day Goldchaser1 (dave)

Hmm, so that what they have done in regards to 40E's on the pastoral leases held by Aboriginal Lands board, but what about pending leases or unpegged land on the same pastoral leases. My understanding is if a person has a WA miners right it gives them the right to prospect on Crown Land, and a pastoral lease is crown land.

So yes it stops the people getting a 40E, but how does it stop prospecting on the same area if you don't need a 40E because it is pending or the like.

cheers dave

Dave (davsgold)
The way I read the email from APLA
Is the DMP dont want anyone going on Stations Leased by
The Aboriginal Corporations weather covered by mining leases or not ie VCL etc etc I think that takes out a fair bit of available prospecting territory
Just the way I read it

Cheers

Nanjim
Jim

Excuse my ignorance (I know bugger all about WA) will this affect mining in the case of EL's and permits if not why would it only apply to 40e's.

davsgold said:
G'day Goldchaser1 (dave)

Hmm, so that what they have done in regards to 40E's on the pastoral leases held by Aboriginal Lands board, but what about pending leases or unpegged land on the same pastoral leases. My understanding is if a person has a WA miners right it gives them the right to prospect on Crown Land, and a pastoral lease is crown land.

So yes it stops the people getting a 40E, but how does it stop prospecting on the same area if you don't need a 40E because it is pending or the like.

cheers dave

Yeah the pending ground is a curveball,was talking to some friends about that 20 minutes ago..... ????????

RM Outback said:
Excuse my ignorance (I know bugger all about WA) will this affect mining in the case of EL's and permits if not why would it only apply to 40e's.

That's the thing RM, but I don't think Mining leases (ML) or Exploration leases (EL) will be stopped doing what they do, well lets just say they have been doing what they do the whole time, with the quarantine guidelines being followed obviously

A 40E permit just allows a prospector with a WA miners right, after paying a fee for the privilege, access to ground on a granted Exploration lease in WA.

This 40e is the only thing being put on hold at the present time, and affects only prospectors with metal detectors doing what they love doing.

cheers dave

The way I interpreted it is, the freeze on 40E's is for the the time duration of the 'CV19 State of Emergency', so as to minimise the amount of 'out of region' people coming into contact with the aboriginial people in the communities throughout the goldfields.
I assume that this freeze will be withdrawn upon lifting of the 'State of Emergency' in WA ..... have to wait & see if thats how it pans out.

DED

Some good looking reefs in this lot. Is it worth the $90 for the 40E?

1594041507_capture.jpg

I can get there. It is no problem. I have even seen the ground when driving past. Lots of quartz in it.

Hi Shaker,
Presume your a Ford man ! Your a lucky bugger mate living in paradise ( esperence) close to gold fields. After this bloody covid crap I might have to move to Esperence as well . Getting too old to waste a year sitting around tubing and googling all winter, just got to get out there swinging.
I like to see quartz and iron stone or quartz and green stone but I never have much luck with just quartz. My favourite combo is ironstone with a dash of quartz in WA and in GT pink quartz with a dash of ironstone. :goldnugget:

I tried several years in a row with 40 E permits based from maps and google earth without one single winner, now I only do a 40 E if I have had a look at the property.

Go the General ! :)

Big Johno, definitely a ford man. One decent nugget would get me that shaker :) I look for the pepper and salt ground mostly in WA. Iron stone and quartz in other words. So far every time I have done a 40E I have struck the gold. It depends how much time I get in the area as I am looking at two spots. I have been to one of the spots before and taken nearly an ounce and a half in sub gramers. This time I am looking at going just a little further north from last time. Hopefully the goods come up.

Latest posts