Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys was just wondering what detector you would suggest for use in the Victorian gold triangle. I cant afford anything too crazy like an sdc but would be looking to spend around $1000 on one. any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm leaning towards the GM but I know it can struggle in highly mineralised ground and was just wondering if there were any other options that can handle it a bit better or not in the same price range. thanks for the reply!

Maybe a QED, you might pick up a second hand if your lucky but you would have to add a couple more hundred to secure one.

Dont buy one yet save for a good gold detector if thats what you want to be looking for I went through 2other detectors before I bit the bullet and bought a sdc 2300 first was the garret At gold 1200 dollars at the time then minelab F1A4 for 700$ and had it modedfor $1200 so at that time a few years ago I could of got the sdc for that money I paid I know its a learning curve but if your after gold a dedicated gold machine is what you want I still have the F1A4 because it is great around power lines but my sdc is my go to machine and it has paid for itself a couple of times plus more all the best cheers Muk.

Spoke too soon, you know the old saying if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
Back to the drawing board to look for a detector.

Dont really see too many entry level detectors 2nd hand for sale.

The prospecting dream might be on hold for a while.

scott

Hey DD Long story short, was getting a mate to pick it up as it was in Brisbane, 1 hour before the guy messaged and said he had been sent to NZ for work and item wasn't for sale anymore.
my guess is he took another offer, tried to contact him to re negotiate with no luck.
it happens i guess just disappointed.

Scotty

I had a Equinox 800 and damn it was good. But had a dilema come up and needed some instant cash. So it was my 5000 or 800. No contest as I like the 5000 almost as much as my misses :lol:
But seriously, have had Terras, Sovs and an MXT but that EQ was pretty special. Never had a disc macine separate trash from treasure like it did once I got to know it. Very very good at it. Got gold with it too, but in quiet ground. Yep it was little stuff but it did find it when I didbt expect it too. But also wont lie, my 5000 in the same ground using an Evo on high sens settings after finding stuff with the EQX found things, gold, the Nox obviously couldn't, but still the Nox really impressed me. If right now I needed another machine to complement my 5000 id get another Nox 800 in the blink of an eye.
Now though I detect as a fun hobby and have no inclination to get anything else.
Hope that helps.

Just a follow up for anyone interested or reading this post to help with their own decision for a reasonably priced detector. I ended up going with the Gold monster 1000 and couldn't be happier with my choice so far. First day out with it the other week I managed to find my first nugget
1591862752_gold_find_1.jpg

Hello everyone
Brand new to detecting but no stranger to the Bush. Spent the last 30 years camping and 4wding all over Victoria.
I'm in the market for a detector, main target is gold but also wanting to target relics with my 2 girls. (they love the idea of treasure hunting)
Areas I would frequent would be mainly the Vic High Country. Reefton, Woods Point, Jamiseon, Mansfield and surrounds.
I fugured that buying second hand would give me more bang for buck but open to new also.
Budget is $1800-$1900 max for a full setup ready to swing.
Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. I'm located in Croydon Vic

Tough one, if you're primarily going after gold, then I'd recommend a second hand minelab machine GP 3000 or GP Extreme GP 3500 can be had for between $1500-1900 depending on the seller.

I guess if you want an all rounder, you could look at something like a Minelab Equinox 800, they wouldn't be my choice for a gold machine, not that they can't do it, but VLF on a gold field is my idea of hell :lol: but that's just me.