Using Google Earth Pro to Show WA Tenements, and your location

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you arent aware:
With the use of a good laptop and using Google Earth Pro you can import all the required tenements, zoom in and identify each individual tenements properties.

By attaching a small GPS receiver via USB to your lap top you can identify the exact location of your lap top and yourself within any tenement or other place.

Similar to The Happy Prospector program.

On the lap top you can zoom in closer to see towns and roads/streets etc

As with The Happy Prospector the DATA information imported into the maps from DMP.WA.GOV.AU is HUGE and takes a little time to load into Google Earth.

Happy to help you with the this

Graeme.

I have also used The Happy Prospector with success. Got stopped by a guy who thought we had been on his Live Tenement, he had his mind changed quickly when I showed him the app and the live track showing our movements in his neighbours tenement which we had permission to be on. Stopped him in his tracks and created a good talking point with him. We all went away friends.

Hi all, I am Located in Victoria and have been to WA only once but hopefully coming back next year. I am working on the Google Earth Pro and Iphone useage while I am out in the fields here in Vic. I am also working on stuff for the WA trip.

If you are not familiar with the things you can do in Google Earth Pro, here are a few of them....

1) When you have down loaded the Google Earth KMZ (Zip) file into GE Pro these files are unzipped by GE Pro and appear in the far left hand column, you can then expand that list so that you can see all of the listed Tenements. You can then check or un-check any or all of the listed tenements and only leave checked the Tenements you wish to see.

2) You can change the color of the Tenements to reflect Better the current status of the Tenements you are interested in ie. change Pending to green (for go) and Live to Red for Stop No Go.

3) If you isolate all the Tenements you are not interested in and only show those of interest you can then zoom right down into the Tenement then drop a pin point into each corner of the Tenement and from there obtain the GPS Co-ordinates of that corner. To be safe I drop the pin inside the boundary a little so know I am OK.

4) Using my Iphone 6s from Google Maps I down load a map of the area where the Tenement is located then add the GPS co-ordinates of the pins I have placed in GE Pro. I can then use this map as an off line map on my Phone when I don't have phone reception.

Graeme

I use Australian Geological Travel Maps, it's an app and way better than the Happy Prospector. (THP is too slow)
It does cost, but I love the app.
It gives you all the info you need like magnetics, tenements, bedrock geology plus it shows your position and you can track yourself, so you can find your car if you get lost.
This app doesn't need mobile signal when you're out in the field, as it works off your phone's GPS signal.
1590240896_screenshot_20200523-213410_australian_geology_travel_maps.jpg

1590241073_screenshot_20200523-213722_australian_geology_travel_maps.jpg

Hi GPX5000, you have just become my best friend for life.
This app is bloody fabulous, I have been able to import various kml files and maps from Vic Gov web sites so I dont have to look at all the different maps, I now have them all in one place. I will continue to add to it as time goes on.
One thing I found is you need heaps of memory to run it so have loaded onto a mini iPad.

Again thank you
Stay safe and well and GOOD HUNTING

Graeme

Hi Graeme,
I'll be your friend for life :D
Its a great app, I use it all the time, I asked the developer to add a couple of functions, and he did.

Look in the extra features section (3 lines) under Manage downloads, some handy stuff in there too.

Also, everything I download goes onto my SD card to keep memory usage down. I don't have the fastest phone....or brain, but the app works seamlessly on the old Samsung J8

Cheers
Paddy

Thanks Paddy for the updated info. I will continue to look at your instructions and drill further into the app.
Working on it.

??????????

Gpx5000 said:
I use Australian Geological Travel Maps, it's an app and way better than the Happy Prospector. (THP is too slow)
It gives you all the info you need like magnetics, tenements, bedrock geology plus it shows your position and you can track yourself, so you can find your car if you get lost.
This app doesn't need mobile signal when you're out in the field, as it works off your phone's GPS signal.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...523-213410_australian_geology_travel_maps.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...523-213722_australian_geology_travel_maps.jpg

Agree 100% with you again Gpx5000 :D we have this on our mobile phones and used it in WA last year, way better than happy prospector APP, which also cost some money.

For the price which is minimal for the Australian Geological Travel Maps, and then a bit extra if you want a particular state tenements,well you really cant ask for more.

Well I guess I can, because it has not had much use this year yet. :8

cheers dave

Would anyone know the website/URL where I can download a current dataset of all mining tenements in WA in the Google Earth KMZ format? I managed to do it several years ago using the WA mines dept website but cannot locate the download location again.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
1590240896_screenshot_20200523-213410_australian_geology_travel_maps.jpg

1590241073_screenshot_20200523-213722_australian_geology_travel_maps.jpg
Trilobites is an amazing app. I’m new to the game and went did the course run by reed’s. Went for 7 hrs 😂 but the information I now know how to properly look for in the app is priceless. Heading out Monday to see if I can find my first ounce😎. Edit; I just seen your name paddy and I’m sure you put me onto the app if you a panel beater?

Latest posts