hello everyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, new to this forum but have been prospecting for a few years now on and off, not with much success i'm afraid, i keep trying though.
I live in the western suburbs of Melbourne and have prospected around most of the goldfields of victoria, i started with a GPX4500 running an 11" DD then upgraded to a 15" evo coil. Found my first bits of gold with that combo. I have upgraded to a 5000 and the same 15" coil and a 14 x 9 evo coil. i struggle a to find anything but rubbish and what i call phantom signals. Ill get a target and i ground balance and try again and after digging the signal either disappears or ends up in more than one pile! hope i can find some help on here and maybe get onto some gold. Thanks for reading , hope to meet more like minded prospectors :)

Welcome jefft,
Thats what we call chasing the ground..... its very frustrating, but keep at it, you will learn to tell ground noise apart from real targets by doing a ground balance on your spoil dirt near your target hole and if your signal disappears once you sweep over the hole afterwards, then move on. Youll probably need to run in Enhance with the Evo coils as they will pick up a lot of hot ground noise in Vic. soil.
Its all a learning curve, which once you master can get rewards.
Cheers Adrian.

thanks for the reply, i am sure i will eventually get the hang of it! its only been 3 years lol im heading out tommorow to a freinds property near Avoca and hopefully find somthing other than junk ! lol
OzzieAu said:
Welcome jefft,
Thats what we call chasing the ground..... its very frustrating, but keep at it, you will learn to tell ground noise apart from real targets by doing a ground balance on your spoil dirt near your target hole and if your signal disappears once you sweep over the hole afterwards, then move on. Youll probably need to run in Enhance with the Evo coils as they will pick up a lot of hot ground noise in Vic. soil.
Its all a learning curve, which once you master can get rewards.
Cheers Adrian.

Latest posts