Hi All

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in Victoria and always wanted to go fossicking but never had the time or money to get a metal detector and and off road car. Now i have a 4x4 and want to buy a detector but don't have a lot of money so I'm looking for a second hand one. i hope someone can advice me which is the best one to get for around 2000.
i would appreciate any help and where to go would be great too.

G'day GoldSeeker2020 welcome to PA :beer: as for location tell us where you live and where you intend to travel. When it comes to gold detecting spending hard earned money and be happy with your purchase if you can add to your stash you can get the best start up machine on the market which is the Minelab SDC2300. The next best value machine within your budget would be the QED the learning curve is the difference between the two. Your other option within your budget for gold is the Minelab GM1000 (Gold Monster 1000)

I'm sure others will offer their thoughts, the above is my opinion only. All the best when you get a machine and get amongst it :beer:

I might take your advice and get the GM1000 to try. I read a few reviews about it and sounds good for beginners. I leave in Melbourne's west and I don't mind traveling.

Have you given thought to hiring before you buy worth considering if you have never used a machine before. Most prospecting shops will have machines to hire, hiring will help you understand the difference especially between the GM1000 & SDC2300. The 1000 is a VLF machine whereas the 2300 is a PI machine the 1000 will be noisy in most ground and the 2300 will operate quite. Noise saturation does cause fatigue imo so the smoother (quiet operation) the better.

Latest posts