NSW Highbanking - what is the current state of play?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, basically... Unless you're panning, you're breaking the law, I've got 3 grand worth of gear in my garage that's been gathering dust since 2017..

:pickshovel: G'day Troops,

It is now 2020 and I see a lot of the replies in this thread were published 4 or 5 years ago, I have recently become interested in prospecting and have purchased a 6 inch mini high-banker. When I made the purchase I was not aware of the legalities involved with the use of such a device, but I am now aware and want to be as law abiding as possible, so....
The set up I plan to use is either as simple or as complex as you see it, here is a brief scenario, I set up a campsite more than 30 meters from the rivers edge, I classify material from the stream into a bucket and carry the bucket to my campsite, I then fill more buckets with water from the stream and carry them to my campsite where I use them to fill a 90 litre plastic box. I then place my mini high-banker in the box of water along with the 12 volt 1100 gph bilge pump witch recirculates the water through the high-banker. So, in effect, I have a closed system, at least 30 meters from the stream.

Can anyone please tell me if what I'm doing so far is illegal ?

My personal opinion is that the only point where I may be silting up the stream is when I classify the material in the stream before hauling it up to my campsite.

I invite you to give me some feedback please ?

Thanks in advance :D :pickshovel:

It is still illegal.
The guide states, "No mechanical processing on any land. "

Where they get you is the term "Processing."

Does not even matter if it is being carried out in your shed in the back yard in Sydney.

As above, The Reg's were originally written in the spirit that you were not to use machinery of
any kind to dig or use things like a trommel etc.

It's true.
Say you go scratching and sniffing.
Take home 20 kilo's of concentrates.
Run it through a mini banker in a tub.
Have a read through the "Guide"

There are a lot of issues.

No more comments from me.
Not at liberty to discuss them. O:)

Seems a popular past time in victoria , so it must be legal in this state. To put it into perspective , you can buy a highbanker in NSW and QLD , but can`t use it ? Similar to hydroponics shops selling bongs ,but it is illegal to use them . Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I have never used either , by the way. Not my thing.

In NSW, if you call them what they are, under the law they have to ask you to leave the store.. So they call them "Salad Dressing Pourers.." :8

LW....

Latest posts