Steel Phase Amplifier

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks,

Have been using SP01 for a couple of years with under chin Lanier Phones/Buds...
Gradually have increased volume on SP01 and am now nearing the upper limit..
My hearing is very poor and need to wear hearing aids when not detecting..
Also I run the coil on the ground and the wife wonders that I can hear any targets at all
as she can hear me scrapping around from over 100 metres away.

Bear with me, getting to a question shortly..

Met a bloke out on a lease the other day and he was wearing Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones plugged
straight into his WM12, said it was an awesome setup..

Whats the thoughts on these Noise Cancelling Phones and would I still be able to run them through the
SP01s.... Hopefully at a much reduced volume level?

Cheers
Den

A cheap solution would be to just get a set of noise blocking muffs and put them over your ear buds.

Funny you should suggest that Nenad, I tried a set of muffs on the other day but they are so damn tight I gave up after 15 minutes...

Incidentally was looking at your Pro Headphones a couple of weeks ago.... Are they still out of stock till July?

After getting the SP01 about 4 months ago and not having a chance to test it out due to being busy at work and lots of renos to do around the house , i finally had the chance to do some testing at home .
What a beast.
I couldn`t believe the difference it makes ,especially coupled with the stereo Quest lite wireless headphones.

I can`t wait to try it out in the field.

:perfect:

Rush said:
SteelPat said:
Not sure where you heard that but the sP01 booster doesnt trigger the internal amplifier in the GPX batteries so it is impossible for this to happen. When I designed it I made sure that we didnt use the battery amplifier as they are pretty raw and dont do anything to improve the audio other than make it loud.

I use the internal amp in my GPX battery and have compared it to a friend with a B & Z system with his same GPX over undug targets and found lttle difference between the two.

Could Phase Tech produce a video for his You Tube channel comparing the SteelPHASE against the GPX battery internal amp to display the differences for those interested?

I use B & Z too. It is as much about instantly controlling the volume level with varying wind conditions or detecting with respect to direction of wind. I don't think it alters the sound quality much. I most often prefer using speakers. Often thought filters and compression and/or expander might be helpful. That is sound level amplification varies with signal level with given (maybe variable user adjust) time constants. I would prefer primary cell power than Lithium any-day.

Anyway great to see some local ingenuity being used. My two bobs worth.

Really like the idea that you can use headphones with these as the noise level is low enough.

Has anybody tried plugging a bluetooth transmitter receiver into the battery audio socket and using bluetooth earplugs on the earlier model detectors?
Gets rid of some leads... It should work. :/

Haven't tried it but should work. In my opinion though Bluetooth would degrade a bit of the sound, better off using 2.4 Ghz wireless systems.

PhaseTech said:
Haven't tried it but should work. In my opinion though Bluetooth would degrade a bit of the sound, better off using 2.4 Ghz wireless systems.

Thanks PT
I'm thinking of the cost at the moment (up to $40), these transmitters are pretty cheap, if you already have the earbuds or bluetooth headset.
I have my SP01 should hear everything my detector puts out (i'm just asking at the moment)

PhaseTech said:
Low Latency bluetooth like the Equinox uses is pretty good.

Just had a rethink on this.
The transmitter and headset have their own power source, more things to keep charged.
Think i'll put up with the leads for now. Too much to go wrong.

Thanks PT.

It's pretty much still the same as SP said for the Treasuremate less the speaker i.e. the SP01 enhances the signal as well as amplifying the level.
Other booster/enhancer/amplifiers sold for metal detectors are no more than a basic amplifier with no filtering & some get background noise/hiss whereas the SP01 is an amplifier with very low noise circuitry & a switchable 3 position filter to enhance signals to suit user/equipment.

That's not to say any of the others won't suit your needs/wants. Something basic to just amplify level may suit?
I believe SP is putting a basic model amplifier out soon - the SP02.

Hi all ,thinking of buying Steel phase Sp01 Enhancer , could anyone share any light, that a new Upgrade model Steel phase booster will be released soon. ?
The reason I ask ,if going to buy Sp01 enhancer soon ,and If they Are going to release a new model may be worth waiting for It before purchasing the latest one .
Once again depends on the Time they release the new Model.

Latest posts