Advice for a newbie.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SDC is pretty much the perfect starter PI machine. you're on point.. only other one i would suggest in that price range would be the QED, but its a bit technical and to be honest, a massive pain in the arse.

PI = SDC 2300.

VLF = Equinox.

But, you may want to wait a little while. There are new products coming out from Minelab and MAYBE one of those things could be an SDC in a decent housing. Which would also make the Coiltek coils a little more plug and play. That is a 100% guess but shame to buy it in its current configuration and then have a lighter, more ergonomic, cheaper version come out in a few months time.

JMHO :Y:

The QED is definitely not a pain in the arse. I can easily disprove that statement and will offer a demonstration. I would put my experience and success rate up against anyone using an SDC. The QED costs less than $2000.00 and has a 5 year warranty with free software updates.

There lies the rub Reg...your experience.
Yep the QED is probably not a pain in the arse to someone with experience, not just detector experience but prospecting experience and all it entails.
To a new person, ease of use between a QED and an SDC would be chalk and cheese. Switch on...a 5 minute how to swing, what to listen to listen for etc and off they go with some degree of confidence.

Yes Reg, I think the 'massive pain in the ass' statement is unwarranted. It is not and I have just been out doing some testing today after my QED had a little re-tweak and it is working amazingly well. I'll do a write up on that down in the QED section soon.

And the QED has some distinct advantages over the SDC such as price, weight, ergonomics, versatility with coils, etc.

But, the SDC for a complete newbie is so simple, so basic yet so effective at getting the small, shallow, wiry, specimen or solid type gold. It is much simpler to understand than almost any other PI.

And the SDC is just ridiculous at how it handles mineralisation. Digging hot rocks, cold rocks, false ground signals are almost a thing of the past with it. In respect of mineralisation it is better than the QED, it is better than the GPZ 7000 and probably better than any PI on the market.

The SDC has limitations in its ergonomics, coil selection, price, sometimes EMI, etc, but for a complete newbie its ability to find gold regularly and to simply ignore mineralisation puts it in a unique position.

Again, just my non-expert opinion.

Hi Largolad,

Welcome to the forum. As a beginner that would like to chase gold you can't go wrong with the SDC. You will also find the SDC in a lot of the experienced detectorists ownership.

Where are you located?

The QED has also been mentioned but has not been very successful in WA.

Cheers

Doug

2300 for sure mate. Love mine. Even though I dont get out much I wont ever sell mine...unless maybe there is a great upgrade later. Honestly they are extremely sensitive. But go slow and low meaning on the ground.
Not many here dont like them.
Also do the tuition that is offered with the machine if going through Minelab and not second hand. 3 year warrantee new.
Good luck and do your own "Research"

Northeast said:
PI = SDC 2300.

VLF = Equinox.

But, you may want to wait a little while. There are new products coming out from Minelab and MAYBE one of those things could be an SDC in a decent housing. Which would also make the Coiltek coils a little more plug and play. That is a 100% guess but shame to buy it in its current configuration and then have a lighter, more ergonomic, cheaper version come out in a few months time.

JMHO :Y:

G'day

Just wondering if your statement on a new version SDC was just speculation or have you heard something about it?, I love the Sdc for its ability to find gold but have never been a big fan of its ergonomics and find the only up side for me in its folding capability is that I am able to carry it in the crate on back of the posty bike, I have hoped all along that minelab would see the light and bring the same machine out in a better package, but have always thought that if they did then it would have a big effect on the sales of their other models.

cheers

stayyerAU

Largolad said:
Hi, could I get your advice on what metal detector to buy for an amateur non-technically minded person. Have done panning before and owned a cheap detector. I'd like to get a good one this time. I am leaning towards Minelab SDC 2300 at this stage. Thanks.

G'day

The Sdc is an excellent choice for a starter detector and a great little gold finder, I have had mine since they were first released and it has well and truly paid for itself in that time, the only thing I would also suggest is to not bother using the standard c cell batteries that it come with and buy yourself the inserts so that you can run the two 18650 Li ion batteries, you will also need the battery charger as well, these are available online and in stores so should be easy enough to get, they are lighter in the detector and have a longer run time, the original battery set up has an issue with alignment of the batteries in the compartment causing the detector to randomly shut down which was a pain in the butt at times.

There are also other accessory item available for them as well, like some different coils from coiltek, I have not tried them so cant comment really so someone else might be able to enlighten you on them if you decide you want to get the sdc.

cheers

stayerAU

Hi Stayer,

Pure speculation about a better package SDC. Minelabs annual report mentions 5 new products coming up and it just makes sense to put such an effective and well liked unit in a more comfortable housing that doesnt have the loose battery issue and can accept the aftermarket coils without an adapter kit, etc. But maybe it doesnt make financial sense?

Cheers, NE.

Northeast said:
Hi Stayer,

Pure speculation about a better package SDC. Minelabs annual report mentions 5 new products coming up and it just makes sense to put such an effective and well liked unit in a more comfortable housing that doesnt have the loose battery issue and can accept the aftermarket coils without an adapter kit, etc. But maybe it doesnt make financial sense?

Cheers, NE.

G'day NE

Anyway I hope you are right, after doing some browsing of other forums I have read that a few other people have been saying the same thing about the sdc, so maybe there is something in the pipeline from Minelab and from what I have read it will be announced some time this month, the only issue is that the current sdc will probably take a hit price wise, that would be a shame as currently they are one of the few detectors that still hold their price well for a used one.

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts