machine guns found with a metal detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes you wonder just how they ended up there. Surely its not just those if it was a dump site.
Great find

GT :eek: :Y:

Not wrapped up ,by the looks of it ,so they could have been left in an old training bunker before it got bulldozed.

just starting said:
Not wrapped up ,by the looks of it ,so they could have been left in an old training bunker before it got bulldozed.
I know someone who once left a Bren in a trench that was subsequently filled in at the end of the exercise! It's the sort of thing that's quite funny when it happens to somebody else... :D

In a past life, I was conducting a grenade practice at Canungra. There were two ammo sheds, and two boxes of spare grenades were stored in the far shed. We finished the practice, and about 8 o'clock that night, I was having a beer in the mess, when I suddenly thought about the grenades in the shed, as I didn't remember them being packed up. In a cold sweat, I gave the sergeant a ring, and we met up and drove across the range to the grenade range. Sure enough, the two boxes of grenades were still sitting in the shed, available to anyone who wanted to sneak over the fence. A few cartons of beer changed hands, and the grenades were slipped back into the magazine. Could have been a disaster. Lucky for me, the guy in charge of the magazine was a friendly fellow.

One day, someone will come across weapon stashes along the old Brisbane Line. This line was to be where Australia would defend against the threatening Japanese invasion.
Guns and ammunition were hidden along this line in preparation, no doubt all would not have been retrieved?

Latest posts