Almost Ready to Start Gathering Rough

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The slant cabber is almost ready for a trial run, but I need some rocks :) ( wifes been saying that for years )
I've got a 4" tile saw for cutting them, so they can only be small.
So where to get some stone/slabs to practice on ? There are no rivers or creeks nearby to me. I've seen heaps for sale, (ebay, etc ) but I don't know which is which, what will just fall apart and/or not polish.

I thought of giving this place a try, not expensive for a big chunk, and I like the colour
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...lgo_pvid=c64f70d9-4c1d-4c21-91e8-6104ab41ee00

Thoughts please

Just head down to your local creek and look for stones that look a bit different... Take them home and 'play' with them on your Machines... Then when you get the feel, start on purchased stuff....
That's a good price for a big slab of Synthetic tho... Something worth snapping up for latter use...

This place is close to You isn't it... Lots of Rough to keep you busy for years...

https://www.crystalworldaustralia.com/

I also have found some excellent 'rough' from Pet shops... They use them for display in nice fish tanks...

Pet Barn up here had some great stuff for a few $ a rock...

I found some fine examples of 'Tigers Eye', Rose Quartz, Picture, Moss, Tree Agates and some nice Jasper from My local pet shops...

LW...

Got pulled into a day trip there with MrsGT and the eldest daughter.

Saw the shark (Rosie) out the front and it got better from there. Cheap(ish) and the range is massive, I mean massive. Good enough I wanted to go back even in spite of being dragged there agsinst my will in the first place. 10/10, and a local Aussie company :Y:

Pet Shops, Lol.... That's what I thought too Till I was in one and spotted a whole row of shelves and some really nice examples.... Snapped them up real quick... :lol:

Now im in every pet shop looking...

Landscaping Supplies can also have some interesting rocks to cut as well....

LW....

I have dealing with an eBay seller, stunning gemstones. I am new to faceting myself and found that they have what I would class as affordable rocks for me to wreck without breaking the bank. Maybe worth a look, I am not linked to them in any way, just saying that is what I have done.

Fiery_carrot said:
I have dealing with an eBay seller, stunning gemstones. I am new to faceting myself and found that they have what I would class as affordable rocks for me to wreck without breaking the bank. Maybe worth a look, I am not linked to them in any way, just saying that is what I have done.

Look for some rock shops, pet shops etc and see if you can find some jellybean quartz. It'll probably be polished so you can look inside to see how clear it is and if there are any cracks. Pick a few nice ones to play with, cheap and good results, also many faceting designs are done for an RI 1.54 which is quartz. If you can't find anything let me know and I'll have a look through the garden dump.

Thanks Dihusky. Have to be pet shops as I am not aware of any rock shops in Tas. I will have a look.
Much appreciated.

These are jelly bean quartz crystals from Stannifer, once, they were well formed quartz crystals, 6 sided, but after been transported to there present position in streams and rivers eons ago, they have been naturally tumbled to form what is commonly known as jelly bean crystals.

1590007964_imag4736-min.jpg

Pat Hogen said:
Fiery_carrot said:
Thanks Dihusky. Have to be pet shops as I am not aware of any rock shops in Tas. I will have a look.
Much appreciated.

And the Beaconsfield rock shop had plenty of smoky quartz available.

Thanks Pat. I will have to slip over and have a look. When lapidary club resumes, I might be able to get some off some of my fellow members.

Pat Hogen said:
If you have to "slip over" means to me that you are either in Victoria, or West Coast / East Coast Tasmania. Depending on where you are, I used to get around a bit in Tasmania, so maybe I can assist locations-wise.

Hi Pat, Northwest coast of Tassie. I would just slip over from Devonport via Frankford Highway then through to Beacy.

Well you know then that there is a fossil deposit out at Merseyvale Rd near Railton. Agglomerates and red/green Jasper before Piggery Bay at Penguin. Flower Jasper up the Leven past the dump. Good agates at Wynyard.

Latest posts