2 hrs hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Went today for a 2h hunt to test out my metal detector.
Found a lot of rubbish - bottle caps, shredded alu foil ,couple of metal nails... (I have prepared myself for that kid of treasure :D so I was expecting to find a lot of those).
Couple of times there was a strong signal but nothing was there, assuming its all normal due to high mineralized soil or some other interference causing it I have decided to move on (most probably it was due to my inexperience, who knows maybe there was actually something worth of digging out but I missed it).
However , there was one finding that was worth it - 1953 Australia threepence :) .
The coin itself is in a very good condition, so I was very lucky to find any coin for the first time out in the bush with the detector :)
Cheers!

Dig every signal mate you never know what you could be missing, I was watching a mate while he was using my detector and he had a little Sharp signal which he presumed was junk like the other two targets only a metre away so he decided to just keep walking and I said hang on go back and I dug out a beautiful 8 gram nugget.

Good luck mate.

Big mysterious signals are usually your pick or phone or a beer can up to a meter away. If they disappear once you start digging they usually are something you are carrying .
When I started I would carry a can of refreshment with me and it's crazy how far away it could make a warbler.

Victorian Gold Fever said:
Dig every signal mate you never know what you could be missing, I was watching a mate while he was using my detector and he had a little Sharp signal which he presumed was junk like the other two targets only a metre away so he decided to just keep walking and I said hang on go back and I dug out a beautiful 8 gram nugget.

Good luck mate.

Thanks for the advice mate.
I remember one spot where the detector kept on beeping with each swing , started with digging the ground out and checking it but couldnt find anything. Was thinking to fill up the bucket and bring it home to pan it out later, but didnt.
Definitely should have been more persistent and spend some extra time on those kind of spots, for sure thats one of the lesson from yesterday :)

aussiefarmer said:
Big mysterious signals are usually your pick or phone or a beer can up to a meter away. If they disappear once you start digging they usually are something you are carrying .
When I started I would carry a can of refreshment with me and it's crazy how far away it could make a warbler.

I am still on the beginning of getting to know with the detector, testing and adjusting it to get the best out of it. Indeed the metal shovel was one m away, it could be the cause of the mixed up signal, who knows , otherwise it would mean that I have missed some nugget there :( .

Latest posts