Detect on FNA file notation area in WA?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking at different areas on tengraph. There's a promising looking area I would like to detect but there's a FNA over it. Is it legal to detect there? It's on a pending exploration permit.

FNA = File Notation Area
have found the definition somewhere before ... I will see if I can dig it up
last year I sent a general enquiy to the Dept MIRS regarding a couple of FNA & if I needed any special permissions, & their response was 'please specify the FNA number & we will advise you, as each FNA my have differnet or special rules over it'

here we go, hope this helps a few people. Below is an extract from the pdf document.
This is the "Tengraph - Description of Land Type Categories" document from the DMIRS
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/12692/1589676584_tengraph-landtypes_categories-faq.pdf
FNA FILE NOTATION AREA
SPECIAL CATEGORY LAND
DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING,
LANDS AND HERITAGE / MISCELLANEOUS
File Notation Areas, (FNA's) are:
- An indication of areas where Government has proposed some change of land tenure that is being
considered or endorsed by DMIRS for possible implementation; and/or
- Areas of some sensitivity to activities by the mineral resource industry that warrants the application of
specific tenement conditions.
Many of the FNA's involve Section 16(3) clearances under the Mining Act 1978.

It still doesn't say anything about prospecting there. So it's an individual decision? Bit complicated if you ask me. There are a lot of FNAs, sometimes they even overlap each other.
It's not easy trying to do the right thing and not end up in an area where one is not supposed to prospect.

An example of an FNA no-go zone is the Square Kilometre Array site in the Mid-West of WA
https://www.industry.gov.au/strateg...tronomy/co-hosting-the-square-kilometre-array
"The SKA site is:
: located in remote Western Australia, around 800km north of Perth
: situated on part of the ancestral lands of the Wajarri Yamaji people
: ideally positioned in the Australian Radio Quiet Zone WA to protect the SKA from radio interference from electronic devices"

This site is about mid-way between Shark Bay & Meekathara
1589678568_fna_7618_for_ska_1.jpg

1589678592_fna_7618_for_ska_2.jpg

scrub walker said:
It still doesn't say anything about prospecting there. So it's an individual decision? Bit complicated if you ask me. There are a lot of FNAs, sometimes they even overlap each other.
It's not easy trying to do the right thing and not end up in an area where one is not supposed to prospect.
If in doubt, contact the DMIRS by email (they are usually very responsive)
I have found that most FNA locations are ok to prospect in.

This is from the DMIRS TenGraph Web contact details (Mods delete if not permitted to quote)
email : [email protected]

Yeah, I've been in that radio quiet zone; signs everywhere that the use of two-ways is not allowed, etc.
I'll try the department of mines and give them the individual numbers. I still think that this system is making it very hard for prospectors; there are a lot of FNAs covering interesting areas and to get the assurance for each and every single one of them?!

scrub walker said:
Yeah, I've been in that radio quiet zone; signs everywhere that the use of two-ways is not allowed, etc.
I'll try the department of mines and give them the individual numbers. I still think that this system is making it very hard for prospectors; there are a lot of FNAs covering interesting areas and to get the assurance for each and every single one of them?!
Right click on teneraph web, click "find data on map". In the left "identify results" area, "file notification areas" comes up. click that and it highlights the FNA and explains what it is for.
As far as I am aware there are NO FNA's that restrict prospecting....even in the radio array area you can prospect. I know this as I asked the DMP office.
The FNA's are mainly in relation to mining tenements.