LED headlights/drls

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD3

Reaction score
Hi guys. Thinking of changing some DRLs from Halogen to LED. Have read though that even though the front end of LED globes run much cooler than halogen the rear end runs much hotter. So much so that some have small cooling fans and or heat sink fins in the rear housing of them. As they last so long I have wondered if that extra heat, in particular DRLs as they are on all the time, (yep some can be turned of but im saying the ones that cannot be) has caused globe housings not designed for them originally to become, where they are in contact at the base of the globe, brittle but the owner is not aware. Has anyone heard or know of any issues swapping over?

Up here(QLD), I think it is Illegal to fit LED's to anything that didn't come from the Factory with them... plenty are running the Gauntlet tho...

Could also be the same in other States, worth while checking, as it could Void your Insurance in the Event of a Claim...

I have some very bright lights fitted(non-LED, but Legal) and have been questioned by Dep of Transport if they are LED's. when I said No, they wanted to look further under the bonnet... And then said Mine are Ok...

I asked Why and was told that LED's are illegal for Headlight use UNLESS fitted from Factory.... I have no idea about DRL's tho...

This happened during "Operation Lift"... Which was also deemed an Illegal Operation anyhow... :lol: :lol:

and Yes, Heat can be an issue with them...

LW...

LoneWolf said:
Up here(QLD), I think it is Illegal to fit LED's to anything that didn't come from the Factory with them... plenty are running the Gauntlet tho...

Could also be the same in other States, worth while checking, as it could Void your Insurance in the Event of a Claim...

I have some very bright lights fitted(non-LED, but Legal) and have been questioned by Dep of Transport if they are LED's. when I said No, they wanted to look further under the bonnet... And then said Mine are Ok...

I asked Why and was told that LED's are illegal for Headlight use UNLESS fitted from Factory.... I have no idea about DRL's tho...

This happened during "Operation Lift"... Which was also deemed an Illegal Operation anyhow... :lol: :lol:

and Yes, Heat can be an issue with them...

LW...
Ah, now that is something I never thought of. Yes, if you had a prang and they find an alteration, no matter how small, you could blow your insurance. And warranty too if they found out. Mmm, thanks. Not worth it. I'll just get some halogen spares for when one goes.
Cheers. :Y:

Halogen are a more 'User Friendly' light anyhow and much easier on your Eyes... Just make sure you get a Quality wiring loom as well... No point getting good lights with a crap loom or worse, wired up wrong... Makes a big difference...

And easier on the Eyes of on-coming Drivers... :lol:

LW...

LoneWolf said:
Halogen are a more 'User Friendly' light anyhow and much easier on your Eyes... Just make sure you get a Quality wiring loom as well... No point getting good lights with a crap loom or worse, wired up wrong... Makes a big difference...

And easier on the Eyes of on-coming Drivers... :lol:

LW...
Yeah there sure are some dangerous blinders out there. The times I have driven at night here iv had cars come toward me blinding me so I flash my high beams thinking they forgot to dip theirs only to have them then burn the pupils out of my eyes as the hit the high beam and leave them on. I dont think many out there realise how blinding their led headlights are. Think those that are made with them are ok but the ones where they swap from Halogen to Led can be the issue. Watched a video of this guy yesterday saying why he was going back to the factory halogen for his drivers and he showed the difference with what it was like for oncoming drivers. Get blinded by those and I know it takes a good minute to see fully clear again, where I am in roo city thats a recipe for disaster. From what Iv found over the past couple of days is a lot of non led headlight housings are not made for them and no matter where you point them the oncoming traffic is blinded. You got me looking and from what I found im not changing them.
Cheers mate.

Most Vehicles over here come with DRL's, My Brother has added little strip LED's as DRL's front and Rear of the last 3 cars he's owned, Being small they don't put out a lot of light but they are enough to make the vehicle seen and when fitted they look like the little LED's that come standard on Merc's and Audi's.

Latest posts