Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
22shells said:
Nah it's not the batteries, had that issue early on and fixed it with a few laps of electrical tape around the batteries. With that problem it used to shut off and restart. The batteries are tight now, I even made a little wire tool to get them out because they don't slide out on their own.

Just use a Macka's straw in the middle and get rid of the tape and the wire..

Hi! Just wondering if anyone can help me with retracting the handle on my 2300?

I closed it the first couple of times I used it with difficulty, but now can't unlock it and slide it to the closed position. I know they can be difficult to close.

Any suggestions? I would love to just pop it in my backpack again!

thanks, K

The handle needs a firm wack :power: with the palm of your hand right at the top , push it towards the arm rest . Utube will probably have something showing you how . Cheers Booney.

Rest the coil on the ground.
Give the control head a firm whack with your hand
back towards the rear of the machine.
It can be a bit tight at times.

Are you asking about the lower shaft extension or the collapsing handle to then fold it up. If it's the collapsible handle I've found mine difficult (just needs a good wack) when I do fold it up but that's not often. If it's the lower shaft I've never experienced the problem, Harry's advise to take it to a dealer is the best option if you can't sort it.

Hi Booney,

have tried this to the point of almost breaking my hand. It has always been hard though. Might ask someone with a bit more ommph than me to give it a go. , thanks, K.

No luck!

Rang Minelab and the dealer I bought it from and no one available to talk to me at the moment. Looks like it will just continue to stay in the upright position for now.

Thanks everyone, K

Sounds like you have dirt/dust on the two pressure pads that slide along the rod.

They flex upwards and into the base of the handle and the module also rotates a bit. The movements are all very slight but works well when clean.

I have pulled mine apart after lots of beach work, but that is not for every one.

If your close to the ML Dealer - take it in. But if you some distance/time away; then .....

I would get a bit of water under a bit of pressure ( NOT FIRE HOSE STRENGTH), maybe just a spray bottle and get the water in and up and around the base of the handle.

I use a bit of a dry lube BUT you do not need much and DO not use wet type lube as the dirt and crap will/can/may stick to it and make it worse in the long run.

It is then just a firm slap/thump and all works well. Sand is a PITA for me as it gets into ever surface and becomes crunchy if not washed out.

Kurra All good. Better to have a clean and smooth system rather than a fractured handle.

I would still get a spray bottle of water and give it a good clean/wash out. The SDC2300 is waterproof and had mine under water a good few times.

The trick is just using a non pressurised hose or a spray bottle. And move the handle backwards and to full forward to ensure any crap is out.

Then a little spray of a dry lube. It may leave what looks like a white stain but all good. Remember less is more lol.

Glad I could assist. Just remember to PIF

Mark

I use this stuff on my machines shhhhh don't tell any one its a secret ????
1572508315_20191031_181659.jpg

My SDC has been fruiting out for the last few days, totally unusable due to false signals and unable to balance.
Had cleaned out skid plate etc...still no good.

Was thinking coil fault and maybe a trip back to ML for a service.

Last night though I undid all the screws on the coil and where it connects to the shaft and pulled it apart. Gave it a wicked shake and it was surprising how much dust and crap gets up in there in those enclosed bits and the shaft itself.

Put it all back together and gave it a whirl today....best it's run in forever! :Y:

Just thought I'd post this here for anyone with an SDC behaving similar. May save you a trip to Dr. ML.

madtuna said:
My SDC has been fruiting out for the last few days, totally unusable due to false signals and unable to balance.
Had cleaned out skid plate etc...still no good.

Was thinking coil fault and maybe a trip back to ML for a service.

Last night though I undid all the screws on the coil and where it connects to the shaft and pulled it apart. Gave it a wicked shake and it was surprising how much dust and crap gets up in there in those enclosed bits and the shaft itself.

Put it all back together and gave it a whirl today....best it's run in forever! :Y:

Just thought I'd post this here for anyone with an SDC behaving similar. May save you a trip to Dr. ML.
A great tip MT.
Ill store this in the memory bank should I experience similar unexplained noise.
Thanks

Unfortunately no... got two bits within 5 minutes of turning it on though :D
But then I put it back in the ute and donned the 7000 and walked for 6 hours for only 2 more bits grrrr!

Hi Madtuna
How sloppy is the area of the pivot joint of the coil to the shaft??.
Mine did something very similar , the pivot joint on mine was as sloppy as an old mole, so i sent it back to minelab and they replaced the entire coil with a new one and she's purring away again.
They also replaced a guys coil and pivot joint I know and his was over 4 years old so over a year out of warranty and they fixed it free of charge.
Minelab certainly aims to please there customers I'll say that!! as they also replaced 2 faulty Gold Monster coils that I wasn't happy with.
Anyway hope you get it sorted out.

Not sloppy at all that I can see. Will keep an eye on it though thanks.
It's purring away beautifully now. Well out of warranty.

Latest posts