You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Alienslayer
18 April 2020 12:26 am

G'day everyone, i'm looking at sat phones or sat sleeves?

what is you opinions on this?

what option is cheaper.. not that you can put a price on safety and also what are the costs involved? plans ect

savage bitter
18 April 2020 06:11 pm

epirb

Nightjar
18 April 2020 07:58 pm

savage bitter wrote:

epirb

perfect thumbsup

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

Jaros
18 April 2020 08:05 pm

Epirb and satphone. perfect

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

Alienslayer
19 April 2020 12:46 pm

Nightjar wrote:
savage bitter wrote:

epirb

perfect thumbsup

kinda already got one

RM Outback
19 April 2020 01:22 pm

Use the search icon top left thumbsup check out these threads.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … p?id=33017

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … p?id=32357

1 user likes this post: Phil_In_Boots

condor22
19 April 2020 05:05 pm

FYI - The difference between devices is generally shape n size, however;

EPIRB - designed to be used with marine vessels and are registered to a vessel.
ELT - are used in aviation and registered to an aircraft.
PLB - for individuals and registered to a person.

You can carry a PLB on water, i.e. River or Coastal, but they do not negate the requirement for an EPIRB.

All are registered with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) and they ask where you intend to use it in determining the right type of beacon for you. Beacons must also meet Australian Standards to be registered, so be careful if you are thinking of buying overseas or on "Evilbay:

The KTI SA2G is probably the most economic. Registration is free and the battery has a 10 year life. Other brands of PLBs can have ongoing subscription i.e. SPOT.

My Garmin MT410G battery runs out at the end of this year, the cost of refurbishment and postage, makes the KTI more viable and it's a lot smaller than the GME.

1 user likes this post: Simmo

PabloP
19 April 2020 06:49 pm

condor22 wrote:

FYI - The difference between devices is generally shape n size, however;

You can carry a PLB on water, i.e. River or Coastal, but they do not negate the requirement for an EPIRB.

All are registered with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) and they ask where you intend to use it in determining the right type of beacon for you. Beacons must also meet Australian Standards to be registered, so be careful if you are thinking of buying overseas or on "Evilbay:

The KTI SA2G is probably the most economic. Registration is free and the battery has a 10 year life. Other brands of PLBs can have ongoing subscription i.e. SPOT.

My Garmin MT410G battery runs out at the end of this year, the cost of refurbishment and postage, makes the KTI more viable and it's a lot smaller than the GME.

My GME Accusat (PLB) battery has also just run out so I am in the market a replacement. So when the stay at home conditions ease a bit, I will be out looking myself.

Rob P.

SDC 2300, Xterra 705, GPZ 7000

blisters
19 April 2020 07:56 pm

I wouldn't use a sat sleeve as you are tied to a particular mobile so upgrading/replacing is a problem.

Nightjar
19 April 2020 08:11 pm

condor22 wrote:

Condor22, I have a GME MT600G EPIRB that I bought to be legal going more than 2KM offshore in my boat, did ask the retailer if I could have it with me when I went prospecting.
The answer was a firm "NO! you will have to buy a second one." I declined the 20% discount for two!
Went home and checked with marine authorities (WA) and they advised me that "one" EPIRB can be registered for both land and sea and that the retailer was trying to gouge the cost for a second purchase.
Needless to say I went back to the retailer and made it quite clear in front of many other customers in the store he was a liar, cheat and a disgrace.
Thought I was going to have to dodge a gidgee or a filleting knife when his face became bright red and he waved me out of the store.
Actually had two customers follow me out of the store and comment, "Good on you."

Hope you haven't been ripped off Condor?

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

4 users like this post: Jaros, Nanjim, savage bitter, AngerManagement

condor22
20 April 2020 01:44 am

Nope, I don't have a boat. Bit difficult to tow a boat and a caravan at the same time, lol.

The GME Accusat is around $300 new, a replacement battery is over $200, only done by GME in Sydney and is only a 1 year warranty on refurbished PLBs.

The KTI is $269 (Snowys Outdoors) 10 year Warranty, I think that's about the best deal I can found.

Re my previous post, I checked the AMSA website re what and where. I would suggest that if you have an EPIRB initially for maritime and want to use it on land, they may still need to know that, to save looking for for your boat in the middle of the Simpson Desert, lolol.

I think I mentioned on the other posts, my main reason for having one is I mostly detect alone (Victoria). Although not far from civilisation, or people, if I fall, can't walk etc and no means of raising the alarm, I have the PLB on the harness, so someone can come get me. In W.A. I reckon a PLB is a must. smile

1 user likes this post: AngerManagement

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site