Gem fossicking Sites in Western Vic?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to your forum and enjoying learning about fossicking. I live in Mt Gambier so go through Western Vic a lot but I would like to go fossicking closer to home. I have enjoyed fossicking around Glen Inness and Inverell but too far for me to go too often! Does anyone know of any creeks etc that hold any decent gems, such as topaz, sapphires etc? I have been up in the Grampians a couple of times with limited success. Would appreciate any pointers. Keep up the good work, lots of good comments here.

Hello Bigbarra

Why not try Mortlake, Western Victoria. It's the "Olivine Capital" of Australia. I know nothing of olivine, but I had a group of fossikers staying in my park and apparently they did quite well.
Regards
Frank

Don't forget Morella - the Smokey Quartz from there is quite unique. There is also a brachiopod location at Dartmore and you can find fossilised whale bone on the cliffs at Portland. Contact the Mt Gambier Gem Club or the Warrnambool Lapidary Club for info.

Thanks Guys, I'll get in touch with the local gem club here in Mt Gambier. Have been to Morella and will try there again. I believe the creeks around Merino may contain topaz and zircon, so I will try these when winter's over! Do you know where the Brachiopod location near Dartmoor is? It sounds different. I've got some leave in September so I will also definitely try Mortlake, been looking forward to that!

There is olivine here in mt gambier I used to go down the saddle between the valley lake and leg of mutton lake there are some ok sized clusters there usually still encased in black stone been many years since I have tried for it so there may be more clusters on the surface again I am waiting to see a family friend again that knows all of the areas i the western victoria area for different minerals and gems will let some people know what I find out eventually

Welcome to PA Bigbarra. I'm from Mt Gambier also. There are a few of us lurking about on the forum. I didn't know about the Olivine vcfan. Very interesting. My boy and his mates have been digging up crystals and Galena from a hill at the school he goes to. I was shocked. Pretty cool. There is now a rush on every recess and lunchtime. :)

Hi Bigbarra, last week i went sluicing in a creek in Western Vic, i too am from Mt Gambier. Was looking for gems and gold. Did a bit of panning too, and brought some concentrates home to process.
I am a member of the Mt Gambier Gem Club, so if you want to know anything about it, private message me.
Cheers,
Cherokee.

Latest posts