Smithsgold Youtube Channel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mining Relic's of the Mother Lode

There are relic's from the California Gold Rush all over the State. The pictures in the video are from Grass Valley to Beckwourth and just about every camp or village in between. When Gold was discovered in California in 1848 it started a mass expedition to the territory in search of great wealth. I hope you enjoy the pictures and the video I just love visiting the Historic mining towns and sites .

Cleaning Bedrock for Gold Nuggets

The Rain can't stop Jeff and Gary (Two Toe's ) as they head to the Hills in search of those elusive Gold Nuggets. Jeff has his White's Gold Master V-Sat (VLF) Metal Detector and Gary has his White's TDI (Pulse Induction) Detector see which one finds the most and biggest Gold in the California Mother lode. Clear that Bedrock and check those Crevice's there might be Gold Nuggets hidden in there !!!!

SG 018

Tim from Blue Lead Gold Productions and Gary ( Two Toe's ) got to do some Metal Detecting and Boulder rolling Look at the Gold Nuggets they Found !!!!!!!
I'd say it was a Great Day !!!!!!!!
TM 010

Uncovering Family Artifacts ( Sifting History )

I return to the Family Home site this time to Sift through the dirt looking for Family artifacts.
Filmed in the Fall of 2019 we uncover a Chauffeur's pin that belonged to my Great Aunt Kathryn's husband William Ernest Thrower.
The pin dates back to 1935-36 # 51927 from California.
A little bit about William Thrower he was a World War I United States Army veteran having served from March 26 1917 to July 2 1919.
Sergeant William E. Thrower 81 Division 324 Infantry, Company K of the American Expeditionary Forces .
Buried in Golden Gate National Cemetery in San Bruno, Ca 1895-1965

Plans dont always work out but the Gold we found metal detecting an old Gravel bar sure didnt disappoint !!!!
Me and Gary (Two Toe's) had planned to do some Hydraulic Pit detecting in one of our favorite spots but old Mother nature had other plans.
After a lot of discussion and a long drive we decide to Metal Detect an old Gravel Bar to see what Gold it might be hiding in its bedrock crevices.
This time plan B worked out pretty good !!!!!!

SG 034

Detecting a Gravel Bar for Gold Nuggets

Armed with a Minelab SDC 2300 and a White's Gold Master V-Sat Jeff and Gary ( Two Toe's ) head back to a spot they worked in the spring in search of Gold Nuggets !!!!!
Jeff brings the Big Breaker Bar and it boulder moving time on the creek while Gary searchs the high bench for those elusive Nuggets.

See what the guys find with there Metal detectors while working the Bedrock both High and low !!!!!

SG 035

Moving Boulders to find Placer Gold

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/WR8PAVG4qnQ[/video]

Moving Boulders to reach Bedrock Crevices to locate those Placer Gold Nuggets that are hiding just out of sight.
Jeff and Gary ( Two Toes ) use a Come-along and a Breaker bar to move the boulders then check the bedrock crevices with a Minelab SDC 2300 Metal Detector.
A Come-Along is a hand operated winch used to pull objects in this case Boulders !!

SG 036

Finding Gold Nuggets with the Minelab SDC 2300

Can I beat @Two Toes with his own Metal Detector ?
We head back to finish off a few spots we left from our last trip out.
Gary found some good gravel so he decided to run it though his Sluice box while I was happy to use his Minelab SDC 2300 while he was busy sluicing !!!!
Those targets that we left sure paid off !!!
nothing like hearing a good sounding target sitting on bedrock .

SG 041

Nugget Hunting a Hydraulic Pit

Me and Gary @Two Toes head deep into the Sierra's in search of those elusive Gold Nuggets the Old timers missed.
Yes I include Gary in with the Old Timers as he has Detected this spot before.
Nugget Hunting in a Hydraulic pit isn't the easiest thing to do but it's one of the funnest and most rewarding ways of finding Gold.
On this adventure we take three different Metal Detectors The Minelab SDC 2300, White's TDI, and a White's Gold Master V-Sat this allows us to use both Pulse Induction and VLF technologies in our search for Gold and Treasures.
Watch as we pull those Gold Nuggets the old timers missed over a hundred years ago out of the ground !!!!!
Gary finds a old Lead soldered painted Can with Gold inside what did the Old timers us it for ?
I find Six musket balls encased in rotting wood how long have those been there ?
Plus Many many old square Nails !!!!!
Thanks for watching I hope you enjoyed the adventure we sure had fun finding all the cool stuff and wondering what and how they used it.

SG 046

Yuba River Crevice Detecting for Gold Nuggets

Me and Gary head back to Mother Yuba in search of Gold Nuggets and are joined by Tim from Blue lead Gold Productions.
Let's Find some Gold on Mother Yuba !!!
We are armed with the Minelab SDC 2300 and the White's Gold Master V-Sat that gives us both a Pulse Induction detector and a VLF detector.
While me and Gary clear the boulders off Bedrock to detect Tim gets right to Sluicing with his Angus MacKirk Sluice box.
The Yuba is known for it's small Gold so he should do pretty good !!!
Moving those Boulders is hard work but that's what needs to happen to expose the Bedrock Crevices and get those Nuggets in our pockets !!!

Yuba River Crevice Detecting for Gold Nuggets

SG 047

Latest posts