Large metal (iron) blocks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

We've come across 5 of these octagonal metal blocks. They range in size from 8 - 12" in diameter and they're as heavy as hell. We think they were used in the old gold mining processes, but don't know what for.

Any ideas?

Cheers

1586666676_steel_blocks_1.jpg

I have one as well. I think it's been used as an anvil or whatever it was used for impacted it. The depression in the centre is rounded and raised in the middle. It is sloped in thickness from 3.5-4 inches.

I can't recall where I got it but I did a lot of mineral exploration when I was younger so could have picked it up from an old mine site.

1586684272_20200412_190938.jpg

Possibly a plug for an air vent above a mine on the ground level ? A bloke once showed me a hole about 10 or 15 metres above an old major mine that was on his property and queried what it it might be. The hole was about 6 inches or so in diametre and you couldn`t see the bottom of the hole ,but there was no plug. Just a thought .

Nice finds SueBru and Blisters :Y: worth some research to know how long ago the stampers were in operation.

SueBru looks like yours have copped a hammering as opposed to Blisters which is larger and possibly wasn't in use for long. If I find one at least I'll know what it is thanks grubstake :beer:

SueBru's one looks like it has an imprint of a horseshoe around the edge. Could blacksmiths have used them as a 'mobile' anvil in remote places?

Cheers,
Megsy

Latest posts