I'm Back And Have Some Great Finds!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
happyenough said:
That place must have been done a million times and you flushed out the old bones of history.

There is motivation itself.

Nice.

Cheers , yeah handed alot of historical items to the local museam but hitting up private properties now. Most items end up with the owners but i will take what they let me take

tailormarc said:
happyenough said:
That place must have been done a million times and you flushed out the old bones of history.

There is motivation itself.

Nice.

Cheers , yeah handed alot of historical items to the local museam but hitting up private properties now. Most items end up with the owners but i will take what they let me take

That's fair enough on private sites, besides most of the fun and satisfaction comes with detecting and recovering historic finds. :Y:

Well guys walking through the ww2 training bush last night and found where a soldier lost his wallet, few coins and this beauty! Now with help from lots in the know its now narrowed down to these 2 soldiers! WW2 nom roll are onto it for me but will take a couple weeks to find out who it belongs to as his number doesnt come up as they are currently updating records...
Untitled by Marc Russo, on Flickr

One of these 2 guys...

1582257778_img_5303.jpg

1582257792_img_5304.jpg

Great finds Tailormarc.

It`s funny with that WW2 nominal roll. One of my late Grandfathers was trained as a light horseman ,but was never sent to war because of his emphysema and subsequently got put to work on the munitions factory in Maribyrnong ,but his name still appears on the nominal roll .

Not sure how that all works .

FOZ

just starting said:
Great finds Tailormarc.

It`s funny with that WW2 nominal roll. One of my late Grandfathers was trained as a light horseman ,but was never sent to war because of his emphysema and subsequently got put to work on the munitions factory in Maribyrnong ,but his name still appears on the nominal roll .

Not sure how that all works .

FOZ

Cheers Foz, yeah quite tricky trying to suss that website out. Hope i heard back from them soon :)

That V service number does exist here is one i looked at

Service Australian Army
Service Number V90104
Date of Birth 30 Nov 1915
Place of Birth CARLTON, VIC
Date of Enlistment 29 Nov 1938
Place of Enlistment ST KILDA, VIC
Date of Discharge 19 Dec 1941
Rank Gunner
Posting at Discharge 2 MEDIUM REGIMENT
Prisoner of War No

Veteran Details
Name ROBINS, REGINALD LESLIE
Other Name SMITH, JACK
Service Australian Army
Service Number V156157
Date of Birth 19 Dec 1924
Place of Birth WEST MELBOURNE, VIC
Date of Enlistment 17 Feb 1942
Locality on Enlistment NORTH MELBOURNE, VIC
Place of Enlistment MELBOURNE, VIC
Next of Kin ROBINS, IRENE
Date of Discharge 16 Oct 1944
Rank Private
Posting at Discharge 4 ORD STORES
Prisoner of War No
Honours None for display

Army numbers during the Second World War
The Second Australian Imperial Force (AIF) was raised as a separate army and introduced its own numbering system. Numbers were allocated according to the military district in which the soldier enlisted, commencing from 1. The number was prefixed with an index letter for the district and an X to indicate enlistment in the Second AIF (for example VX12843). The district indexes were:

Q 1st Military District (Queensland)

N 2nd Military District (New South Wales)

V 3rd Military District (Victoria)

S 4th Military District (South Australia)

W 5th Military District (Western Australia)

T 6th Military District (Tasmania)

D 7th Military District (Northern Territory)

Additional prefixes were introduced as the war progressed. These included:

P Papua

NG New Guinea

F Female

The prefix F was added to the other prefixes (for example, VFX61330).

Army numbers for CMF and PMF personnel used the same district prefixes. PMF soldiers numbers also included a P to indicate they were serving with the permanent force (for example VP3596).

Initially, members of the CMF who volunteered for service in the Second AIF had an M inserted into their service number (for example, VMX1234). Due to tension between the two forces and confusion over duplication of numbers, the practice was discontinued in 1942. New AIF numbers (without an M) were issued to all soldiers who transferred to the AIF.

some interesting info in the ww1 war files, a 14 year old's age was discovered in Egypt. His pay was taken off him as part punishment, including his mothers allocation.

A lady from The burragorang Valley had 7 grand sons in the first war

:clap: :clap: :100:

Wow! What a great result! Fantastic finds there! What an amazing site! :eek: :Y:

The one you weren't sure about at 4:15 looked like a drawer pull to me. Was it?

Cheers,
Megsy

That is a pretty good day out.

The Rising Sun is a special find and i love the Engineer`s badge. Never seen one before.
It`s a pity the pin and clip on the back of it wasn`t engineered as good as the rest of it and it came off .Would have been good to have it all complete.

Good work.
:perfect:

just starting said:
That is a pretty good day out.

The Rising Sun is a special find and i love the Engineer`s badge. Never seen one before.
It`s a pity the pin and clip on the back of it wasn`t engineered as good as the rest of it and it came off .Would have been good to have it all complete.

Good work.
:perfect:

Cheers mate, so spewin we fouind this spot and left it with many more good finds, lockdown happened and havnt been back. Oh well wont be long till we can get back. The WA Gov has locked down all the regions of WA so i cant leave perth area

Latest posts