What did they do in the Great Depression.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about everything was made on the farms in those days
As been said before ,waste not want not
Dad come from the farm, mums father was a school teacher,even the teachers were not immune from the depression
Mum would coat a slice of bread with dripping on it and sit it on the slow combustion stove top to cook it ,that and a hard boiled egg in the egg cup, was lunch over and done with,she said they had that a lot when she was a kid, it was not to bad either the old dripping and toast,kids today would not know how to make dripping let alone how to put it on toast :lol:

Best meal ever was duck under the table ,it was like a meat pie ,you had no idea what was in it :lol:

Sometimes i miss a lot of the good food from when i was a kid
Pork brawn
pressed tongue
stuffed heart
ox tail soup
rabbit
tails and sweet bread (when in season) :lol:
home made butter, loved helping mum make that, all that butter milk to myself, no wh and o in those days,patting the pound of butter with your paddle, and then one hand on the butter so it would not fall off the plate and up end the plate when it was getting a bit full of butter milk and straight down the hatch
May be they will make a come back one day
I still make my own sausages , i can not eat the bought ones ,the meal they use with all the junk in them give's me a pain in the gut, i buy the sheep gut skins from a butcher supply store here ,i hate what i call plastic sausages ,
I can not eat brains ,liver or tripe ,dads favs were crumbed brains and crumbed tripe :awful:

Mmmm oxtail soup.

I remember as a kid walking past the butcher and the rows of sheeps brains in the window. Nowadays you're lucky to walk past a butchers never mind sheep brains.

G'day

Many of the things that were fed to us kids were left over recipes from the depression I reckon, and made in the home out of necessity, poor families with lots of kids, which was common and seemed to be the way most of the families I remember, it seemed for the most part we were always one step ahead of starvation, we were fed all sorts of things like tripe, lambs brains, sweet breads, liver, kidneys and everything else in between, may times it was better not to ask, and anyway in my family if you walked away from your food it was gone so soon learnt to clean your plate first, I remember home made brawn and tongue, rabbit stew and porridge every morning until later years when wheeties came out, we ate whatever our parents could afford and as we knew no difference it was what it was, but I would have to say that back then from what they had available our mothers were the masterchefs of the day.

I remember being absolutely amazed the first time my mum came home with a bucket (real bucket size) of Kentucky Duck, now its everywhere and fast food so common people think it disgusting that we ate such things but it was probably less damaging to us than the fast foods that are fed to kids today.

cheers

stayyerAU

Hello Peter,had the same experience here in Ballarat,threw it in the bin,just could not eat it!!!! :mad:

Cant stand KFC on Muckdonalds stuff.
When we "used to go to the city" My wife goes to them. I always say I will wait till I get home to eat thanks.

Point was made be for about feeding the dig the scraps left over from meals. Yes thats what they got and maybe some fresh rabbit. Animals are so spoilt now with canned stuff. But do you really know what their eating ?

G'day

Didn't say I was a lover of KFC it was just the novelty aspect of it, (my mate calls it Colonel Bumblowers!) when I first saw the Kentucky bucket chicken as a kid as there were no local takeaways back then so we were all amazed, there was only a bakery and fish and chip shop, we kids never got the fish only the chips, remember the chippy used to give us a handful of chips on a piece of news paper while we waited for the order, in later years we had a Burger King open at the end of the road where waitresses would walk out to the cars and serve you on a tray hitched on the car window, how naive we were back then :lol:

cheers

stayyerAU

I've been serving up.bacon and egg on cruskets to Mrs S as of late (less carbs).
My Dad went through the depression in a big city overseas... he used to push a slop cart to get peoples scraps for their chickens.

Latest posts