DRONE ZONE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a parrot bebop 2 Power delivered today, I'm charging the batteries now, so hopefully she will be flying tomorrow.
I've got the free flight pro app and just bought the flight planner part for $30, can't wait to use it....nervous as hell like.
I got this drone because it has a 1080p camera and 2klm range.
$522 delivered to WA, ordered last Friday, delivered today (Wed) good going for Auspost.

Cops using drones;

My understanding is these can't be flown over public areas (DJI Phantoms) as these drones only have 4 motors and a motor failure could cause serious injury if not death, plus FPV is illegal in Australia, my question is, how come, when it suits the cops can use these drones to police overcrowding in WA?
If they can use them on beaches......can't I?

Plus they can use them up to 1klm away, the law states the drone MUST be operated within eyesight.

Aren't the 'Authorities' operating these drones illegally?

Gpx5000 said:
Cops using drones;

My understanding is these can't be flown over public areas (DJI Phantoms) as these drones only have 4 motors and a motor failure could cause serious injury if not death, plus FPV is illegal in Australia, my question is, how come, when it suits the cops can use these drones to police overcrowding in WA?

Plus they can use them up to 1klm away, the law states the drone MUST be operated within eyesight.

Are you for real? I can think of a lot of things the police use and can do that us mear citizens are not allowed to.

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Gpx5000 said:
Cops using drones;

Are you for real? I can think of a lot of things the police use and can do that us mear citizens are not allowed to.

Cheers

Doug

Aaaahhhh yeah, one rule for them, another for us.
Drone warz, I can see it now.........
The law's the law mate.

Gpx5000 said:
Rockhunter62 said:
Gpx5000 said:
Cops using drones;

Cheers

Doug

Aaaahhhh yeah, one rule for them, another for us.
Drone warz, I can see it now.........
The law's the law mate.

Mmm, while they may have some latitude, I am sure they will be trained drone pilots. But as there are significant safety risks associated with drone use, it would just take one nasty incident or misuse and they too could get into hot water.

Rob P.

New casa approved app is out called Airmap. Had a quick look and it looks like it has a lot of functionality and caters for both recreational pilots and repl pilots. At 1st glance I'd have to say it looks a :poop: load better than open sky.

I posted this on one of our FB groups, hopefully it should work here?

Hey Y'all hope you are all coping ok at this strange time....
Can't wait to get out there amongst it!!

I know we have a few avid Drone operators on this page so thought I would post some changes that came thru to my email from CASA.

The Mandatory Drone Registration and Operator Accreditation for a recreational operator has potentially been pushed back to a 'date to be determined'.

If you are currently operating Commercially in the Excluded Sub 2kg realm.
Your 3 year renewal has been given 6 months grace.

As we know, CIFT has been shut down for some months, and its replacement, OpenSky, is not really very good.
A new App has come out called Airmap, it's a little better but I am still trying to get my head around it. (These can be found at the Play store etc.)

A really good site to go to is https://ok2fly.com.au/
This gives a host of information for RPA Operators, but it's only web based at this stage.
And as always...
https://www.casa.gov.au/drones/rules

Simmo said:
I posted this on one of our FB groups, hopefully it should work here?

Hey Y'all hope you are all coping ok at this strange time....
Can't wait to get out there amongst it!!

I know we have a few avid Drone operators on this page so thought I would post some changes that came thru to my email from CASA.

The Mandatory Drone Registration and Operator Accreditation for a recreational operator has potentially been pushed back to a 'date to be determined'.

If you are currently operating Commercially in the Excluded Sub 2kg realm.
Your 3 year renewal has been given 6 months grace.

As we know, CIFT has been shut down for some months, and its replacement, OpenSky, is not really very good.
A new App has come out called Airmap, it's a little better but I am still trying to get my head around it. (These can be found at the Play store etc.)

A really good site to go to is https://ok2fly.com.au/
This gives a host of information for RPA Operators, but it's only web based at this stage.
And as always...
https://www.casa.gov.au/drones/rules

Thanks Simmo, the first link looks like a very interesting site. I haven't used mine for nearly 12 months but was using the CASA "Can I Fly There" app at that time. Is that still valid?

Rob P.