GPX Wireless set up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Playing with a wireless setup for the GPX, wondering where you can buy the little patch leads which you plug into the detector, then have a power lead and and audio lead coming of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Neo__04 said:
Hey all,

Playing with a wireless setup for the GPX, wondering where you can buy the little patch leads which you plug into the detector, then have a power lead and and audio lead coming of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
This bloke makes up patch leads to any length you require:

http://www.vkteksolutions.com/

Assume your looking to mount a battery on the control box ?

So I decided to have a try at wireless on the cheap before shelling out $399 on the minelab set up.
I hit eBay and ordered a 4.1bluetooth transmitter and a set of 4.1 Bluetooth headphones then went to j car and got an adaptor to go from a 3.5 jack to a 6.5mm jack.
My eBay orders arrived to day so I tried it out and it works perfectly, Im not quite sure if there is a delay just yet as I only able to turn it all on briefly so I cant wait to get out in the field with a test nugget and see how it all goes, for obvious reasons Ill be taking all the usual cords and gear with me to do a comparison and just in case some thing fails... wouldnt want to wast a day in the gold fields :/
Have any of you guys done this and if so how did you find it worked?

Did some testing with the set up today in the backyard run in cancel will the dd to cope with the emi from all the power lines associated in residential areas and seems this set up works fairly well with very minimal delay on target response

Just watch a few high quality video's on Youtube.
That will give you an idea on how much lag there is.
I have a similar setup and it is pretty darn good.
Not solid equipment.

My recommendation to anyone going to do this is to get Bluetooth products that support APTX low latency or other low latency wireless systems.
Other Bluetooth units are getting pretty good at versions 4.1, 4.2 (~ 100ms) but having the latest Bluetooth with low latency (~40ms) giving the least delay is the best option IMO. Some people do seem less sensitive to any delay though.
There are other non Bluetooth RF wireless devices that claim latency even less than 40ms (Garrett Z link ~17ms) but are more expensive options.
Years ago when I first started playing with Bluetooth wireless options the Avantree Saturn Pro aptx low latency rx/tx units were pretty much the only low latency option but there are now a lot of options out there with APTX low latency at reasonable prices & some as cheap as regular latency Bluetooth tx/rx units. Some other units to look at/research are Tao Tronics, Geartist, Paxcess, Acekool, Dodocool, ArchMage etc.
(I've used Avantree, Tao Tronics & ArchMage which all worked ok).
Battery life is important to take into consideration to. I've found any that state 8hrs in receive mode will last a full days detecting or more & usually fully charge within a few hours via USB.
I'm currently using the Minelab Prosonic set up on the SDC (got it free with package deal) & find it pretty good to. No noticable lag & love having a volume control over a reasonable range of volume handy. The Minelab Prosonic does seem prone to cutting out when the tx & rx aren't in clear "sight" of each other - I've changed how I place the detector on the ground when locating targets due to this but it's not been an issue while detecting. This can be an issue with all wireless systems to some degree so you need to mindful of where you place the tx/rx + body position when locating targets etc.
When used with lightweight battery systems attached to the control box (GPX/GP/SD) or detectors with internal/attached batteries (SDC/GPZ/QED) having a good wireless audio system is the way to go IMO. Once you've been wireless there's no going back :Y:
Another good wireless headphone system, but a little more expensive, is the Seinheisser RS-160 Kleer wireless headphones.
There are heaps of wireless options out there these days.

Gday Tarth and mbasko, cheers fellas
I did search through all the junk on flea bay, the transmitter I bought and earphones both claim low latency targeted for wireless gamers both support 4.1 blue tooth and music run time of 10 hrs so I figured its worth a shot worst case I got some new earphones for wireless music lol.
And for the total cost of about $40 Im pretty happy so far with how its turned out.
Next thing I need to order is a new controll box cover to hold the gpx batter and then Im completely free from the machine which is going to be great. No more cords getting caught up on branches and will be much easier to set down the 45 to dig targets.
I will start out using the full size battery and maybe grab a lightweight battery down the track depending how the swing arm holds up with the weight

Hi All,

After my last trip a couple of months back around Dunolly, I came to the conclusion that there were two things that I hated most of all about my new hobby-

The Koss Headphones that came with my GPX 5000, and the Cable that connects them/me to the detector. So, I bought myself a set of Sunray Gold Pro's from the US and I have to say when I put them on my head, even without plugging them into the 5000 they feel like they were tailor made just for me, and I personally prefer the firm fit around my ears. The build quality is exceptional, the switches and fittings appear high quality, and hopefully when I get back out detecting again the sound will also be an improvement on the koss.

Which leaves me with one last problem to solve- Going wireless (my little heart gets a flutter of excitement just at the thought of cutting the cord!). The on again-off again headphone saga associated with my newbie "Dig every Signal" policy, is the thing I hate most of all, and something I Psychologically & Physically find more testing than actually digging the holes.

I've been looking at getting either the Quest Wire-Free Transmitter/Receiver Kit from Phase Technical, or the Minelab Pro Sonic wireless kit.

I realize from the technical info that both of these units give an imperceptible time delay on signals, but can anybody who has used either or both of these units please give advice on the following-

Is the sound/ tone still true to what you would normally hear through a set of quality headphones if they were connected directly to your detector?
For instance, would say a soft murmur of a deep biggie be just as perceptible?

Is the price difference between the two ( $140 Quest versus $398 Pro Sonic) something that is reflected greatly in robustness or performance?

And, are these types of units (or any one in particular) more prone to any electrical/emi interference than if I am hard wired?

Appreciate any constructive feedback, Thanks :D

Deepseeker said:
Hi All,

After my last trip a couple of months back around Dunolly, I came to the conclusion that there were two things that I hated most of all about my new hobby-

The Koss Headphones that came with my GPX 5000, and the Cable that connects them/me to the detector. So, I bought myself a set of Sunray Gold Pro's from the US and I have to say when I put them on my head, even without plugging them into the 5000 they feel like they were tailor made just for me, and I personally prefer the firm fit around my ears. The build quality is exceptional, the switches and fittings appear high quality, and hopefully when I get back out detecting again the sound will also be an improvement on the koss.

Which leaves me with one last problem to solve- Going wireless (my little heart gets a flutter of excitement just at the thought of cutting the cord!). The on again-off again headphone saga associated with my newbie "Dig every Signal" policy, is the thing I hate most of all, and something I Psychologically & Physically find more testing than actually digging the holes.

I've been looking at getting either the Quest Wire-Free Transmitter/Receiver Kit from Phase Technical, or the Minelab Pro Sonic wireless kit.

I realize from the technical info that both of these units give an imperceptible time delay on signals, but can anybody who has used either or both of these units please give advice on the following-

Is the sound/ tone still true to what you would normally hear through a set of quality headphones if they were connected directly to your detector?
For instance, would say a soft murmur of a deep biggie be just as perceptible?

Is the price difference between the two ( $140 Quest versus $398 Pro Sonic) something that is reflected greatly in robustness or performance?

And, are these types of units (or any one in particular) more prone to any electrical/emi interference than if I am hard wired?

Appreciate any constructive feedback, Thanks :D

by using the search function on the forum you will find several in depth threads on this subject ;)

The Pro-Sonic is a wireless transmitter, receiver, and speaker and also includes an adaptor for the SDC2300.

The Quest Mate system is simply a transmitter and receiver, which is why it is a lot cheaper.

If you will be using your Sunray headphones, then 2 differences you will notice:

- The sound quality will be cleaner through the Quest Mate system, as it is un-amplified

- You will get more volume with the Pro-Sonic as the amplifier is still active with headphones

Now, with the 5000, unless you are mounting a battery on the side of the control box, you won't be really achieving anything with wireless headphones.

Thanks ctxkid and Nenad.

I should have mentioned in my first post sorry that I have already got the Battery Cable problem solved. Before my last outing I had already had enough of the battery being mounted behind me and being attached to the detector, so I purchased a Control box cover from Double D that has a pouch in it for the minelab battery. It means of course that the battery cable is now too long, but fortunately the long velcro straps on the DD cover are sufficiently long enough to run the coiled cable behind them along the top of the control box and keep it held in place with the straps to prevent the cable from hanging down.

I have no need or desire for an external speaker, and of course the SDC2300 adapter is of no use to me either so it seems like the Quest Mate system may be better value for money for me.

Just one other thing Nenad if you don't mind. Even though the Pro Sonic would give more volume, would the Quest mate system still give sufficient volume with the minelab battery built in booster combined with the Sunray Headphones better external sound exclusion and their own volume knobs on the ear cups?

Thanks again for the reply,

-Gary

Deepseeker said:
Thanks ctxkid and Nenad.

Just one other thing Nenad if you don't mind. Even though the Pro Sonic would give more volume, would the Quest mate system still give sufficient volume with the minelab battery built in booster combined with the Sunray Headphones better external sound exclusion and their own volume knobs on the ear cups?

Thanks again for the reply,

-Gary

Hi Gary, the Quest mate is simply a wireless link - it neither adds or takes away any volume. Depending on the headphones, it can give a very slight lift in signal response when on the maximum volume setting. I used to run Sunrays on the 5000 without any booster and was happy with the Target Volume on about 11, sometimes up to 13 if it was a particularly windy day.

Thanks Nenad,

I've just purchased one from your Phase Technical Website. Appreciate your help and advice with this.

:D < Sings "I'm Free, I'm Free,- I'm Free at Last"!

Deepseeker said:
Thanks Nenad,

I've just purchased one from your Phase Technical Website. Appreciate your help and advice with this.

:D < Sings "I'm Free, I'm Free,- I'm Free at Last"!

Knowing Nenad you probably already have it by now :D ;) As for advice you won't get better as audio being his gig :Y: Wish all I dealt with were as great to deal with ;)
Phase Technical still delivers the personal touch ...................... a rapidly dying attribute these days.
Shameless plug maybe :8 but in the many purchases I have made from Nenad the service has been top level every time with product knowledge second to non :Y:

Hi folks. I know some of you have graduated to these. Can you tell me how they work? What you need? I see w headphones advertised on Ebay but what makes them talk to the detector. Im sick and tired of the wired phones crackling and not working. So annoying.
Your insight would be appreciated.

They usually work via Bluetooth mate.
You plug a transmitter in the Detector and just turn everything on?!

GPS ? I figure you mean a GPX or GPZ ;)
I have migrated to the Quest headphones. I have a pair of the 'Wire-free Pro' & the 'Lite' (smaller & more comfortable in hot weather)
Not having that sometimes annoying cord dangling around is good :Y:

All they are is a small transmitter box that attaches to your detector with a plug coming out of one end that goes into where your headphones normally go and then you just press a button on the headphones and a button on the transmitter to turn them on. They work via bluetooth sending a signal from the headphone jack to the headphones via the transmitter . The headphones and transmitter need to be charged up via a USB cable for about an hour or so and last for quite a few hours. They work very well and are small enough that they don`t weigh much at all or get in the way. I got this set from Nenad http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/quest-wirefree-lite-headphones/