Prospecting on a budget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with trying to do things on the cheap try making your own gear car springs/plough discs make excellent picks.Drill holes in a bucket and you have a classifier have a look through the DIY section of the forum heaps of ideas there cheers Muk.

Nothing wrong with staring out on a budget. We all learn as we go and make better decisions as we accumulate knowledge. I still use my 2 Bunnings sieves for classifying when panning (the bottom one is lined with aluminium mesh and the set up works well) and I have put a lot stuff through them. I also use them in the garden. As an older person I had access to my father's and grandfather's tools, so when out digging etc I have old tough well made tools of quality material from a different time. Picked up some good old tools in country 2nd hand shops also.

sand surfer said:
Hi alienslayer

The only problem that i have found with the little saxon picks from bunnings is that the one my mates young feller uses, is the tips roll and flare, as there has not been much hardening of the pick,they leave the metal quite soft

When the pick point starts to flare, that is when you will leave bits in the ground and maybe in the eye,those cheap picks can be hardened ,but you will have to take it to someone that knows what they are doing or you will end up with a cheap piece of scrap :Y:

I noticed this too! I have a workbench grinder and I end up re shaping the point every few months which keeps it good.