Amazing Amber Finds in Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is really disturbing what is being churned up and lost to coal mining throughout the country. B-I-L was a dragline operator and he said the amount of fossils and petrified timber and agates that get crunched was a piss-off and there used to be a game to grab and hide from the overseers and from the rotating crew on the next shift. Another one of my b-i-ls used to get slabs of petrified leaves and fruits from his coal face.

Pat Hogen said:
It is really disturbing what is being churned up and lost to coal mining throughout the country. B-I-L was a dragline operator and he said the amount of fossils and petrified timber and agates that get crunched was a piss-off and there used to be a game to grab and hide from the overseers and from the rotating crew on the next shift. Another one of my b-i-ls used to get slabs of petrified leaves and fruits from his coal face.
If it is any consolation - 1. they would never be found otherwise, and 2. we only mine an incredibly small percentage of the coal (because of quality issue), 3, amber is about as common in coal as gum is on trees in a gum forest.

Latest posts