Difference between Mono and DD coils? When to use?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alienslayer said:
Elijah said:
Alienslayer said:
It didnt come with a stick coil Im only running a commander 11 inch mono right now

Nothing wrong with the 11" commander mono.

I'm thinking about buying the commander 11" DD

Just look for a good price, often the 45, and 5000 users ditch the dd out of the box, would have to be one of the most common coils for sale.

Check ebay, i got one last week for $60 only needed the cord off it, but still they go cheap.

Hi all
I recently purchased a 2nd hand gpx5000 and it came with a few coils I am very new to gold detecting I am interested in what coil out of the below you would use. I am located in the pilbara WA (paraburdoo) I'm not sure what the ground is like around this area but there are iron ore mines around the place everywhere. I think the 18" might be to big to maneuver around all the stubble and spinifex but I may be wrong.
Advantage nuggetfinder 12"x8"mono
Advantage nuggetfinder 17"x11" mono
Advantage nuggetfinder 18" mono
Minelab commander 11" double D
Minelab commander 11" mono

Many thanks
Rod

Basic knowledge so I am sure more will provide better answers.

The 4 monos are all bundle wound so they are less sensitive than the new Evo's, Elite's, etc which in your country is possibly a good thing as they will handle the mineralisation better.

The DD will handle the mineralisation better again but will give up some sensitivity to smaller stuff.

I would think start with the original Minelab Commander 11" mono and learn your machine first. I am sure I have read many on here say the Commanders were quite good coils and quite underrated.

Learning the 5000, getting it to run quiet in your country and finding gold country will probably be bigger challenges than coil choice.

Best of luck :Y:

For prospecting 18 and if you cant get it in between the spinny go the 17x11.

Same. I'd go the 17*11 most days of the week. I had that coil before. Great coil. Hopefully you have the solid one...I think they havea spoked one also..the solid one is slightly heavier but doesnt get snagged.

The 1711 is spoked unfortunately. I have been using an equinox 800 coin/relic hunting for a while now so use to the coil style getting caught up regularly.
Are there any advantages in running a smaller coil like the 128 or is it more a dis advantage re covering less ground.

Roddo said:
The 1711 is spoked unfortunately. I have been using an equinox 800 coin/relic hunting for a while now so use to the coil style getting caught up regularly.
Are there any advantages in running a smaller coil like the 128 or is it more a dis advantage re covering less ground.

Some of it will depend on your comfort level carrying it around. I agree with Northeast, the Commander coil is an excellent coil with good behavior in the heavily mineralized Pilbara ground. As he said the choice of coil is not as important as getting to know your detector and that will be easier using the original Minelab coil.

As a general rule the larger coil will punch deeper and obviously cover more ground but will miss the little stuff. The smaller coil will detect smaller targets but will limit the depth you can reach. Bear in mind that most gold we find is quite near the surface because it's traveled and been deposited there.

I've just been watching a video on YouTube made by Steve Graf from the Grafboys channel. In one area he says the hot rocks , high mineralization, is driving him nuts because the detector is giving a lot of false signals. He looks to be using the gpx 5000 with the evo 17 x 13 coil. My question is, is it worth while using the 11 inch Double D coil in this situation?

Snapperhappy said:
I've just been watching a video on YouTube made by Steve Graf from the Grafboys channel. In one area he says the hot rocks , high mineralization, is driving him nuts because the detector is giving a lot of false signals. He looks to be using the gpx 5000 with the evo 17 x 13 coil. My question is, is it worth while using the 11 inch Double D coil in this situation?
Without seeing where he's detecting and what sort of gold he's chasing it's hard to say. But a DD is always worth a run.
In WA where you are a bigger DD is a worthwhile purchase. The NF25DD chubs me up severely :Y: I have some deep noisy ground where I know some big bits should be hiding

edit: sorry...it was the OP who's in WA

Roddo said:

Hi Roddo
You can purchase a flat coil cover for the 11x17 as I have bath coil covers for mine not sure if they make a heavy duty flat cover though? If the do I'd suggest one or buy some flat Perspex from Bunnings and cut it to size then use either a liquid nails or a sealant/ liquid gap filler to attach the coil cover to it as this'll last ages , I use them on my 12inch EVO coil and my 8 inch SDC coil cover it's a fantastic way of making it last for ages compared to a heavy duty coil cover it's cheap and enough to make at least 4-6 skid plates .

Depends where you are detecting I suppose. If you are detecting in scrubby bracken laden ground then the Advantage nugget finder 12"x 8"mono is the go to poke in and about. If the ground is a little clearer then the Advantage nugget finder 17"x11" mono is the first choice most would suggest with the 5000.
Out in the wild west where there is quartz and iron stone and not much else the 18" round mono is the go.
You have a coil for all occasions there-- so you know what Im gonna say "Lets goooo !!"

Good luck

GT :) :goldnugget: :pickshovel: :Y:

goldtruck59 said:
Depends where you are detecting I suppose. If you are detecting in scrubby bracken laden ground then the Advantage nugget finder 12"x 8"mono is the go to poke in and about. If the ground is a little clearer then the Advantage nugget finder 17"x11" mono is the first choice most would suggest with the 5000.
Out in the wild west where there is quartz and iron stone and not much else the 18" round mono is the go.
You have a coil for all occasions there-- so you know what Im gonna say "Lets goooo !!"

Good luck

You been watching any Youtube in lockdown GT? :lol: :lol:

Northeast said:
goldtruck59 said:

Good luck

You been watching any Youtube in lockdown GT? :lol: :lol:

I am afraid so he he

GT :p :zzz: