⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swinging & digging said:
Jazz said:
aussiefarmer said:
Jazz said:
Mike678 said:
I only use plastic containers , the best one for me , is the old black plastic film one . If you drop a glass one on the rocks , good bye gold ! Any club in the Bega Valley area ?

Can't imagine anyone would use glass containers in this hobby. Plastic all the way.

I'm not aware of any clubs in the Bega Valley, seems like a secret society. Extremely rare for anyone to offer a meet up around here. I keep asking, but it's like pulling teeth.

Even asking advice on this forum is akin to getting your molars extracted through your nose cavity without any anesthetic.
Plastic in the feild for sure , gold at home cause it looks better.

Once you realise how rare a good spot is and how much research and favours it takes to get one , your opinion will change , and multiply that by 1000 after you share a great spot and then return 2 months later to find it scratched clean and rubbish and bogan handy work strewn every where :awful:

Bega valley would have very few public access spots and private access isnt the sort of thing to share about , imo.

For sure, I understand that. Sorry about the frustration, it gets the better of us all at times.

I never ask people to give up spots though. All of the research I have done (for possible locations) is all of my own. In the past I have even mentioned specific potential places that I have reasearched myself, but never get any advice back. Probably explains why the places suddenly look like a bomb has hit it the next day - LOL :lol:

Naming Gold bearing Locations on Gold forums is like telling toilet paper hoarders which supermarket just got a delivery of Toilet paper. 8.( :eek:

Sadly this could not be truer as I found out once. A bloke on a forum approached me for help. I decided he was genuine and took him to an area. MISTAKE!
Next thing I realized he had taken someone else behind my back... AND THEN, they took some other person who turned out to be a jerk. He even buried gold painted lead in the area. What a absolute wa***r. NEVER AGAIN>>> Now I don't tell anyone where and when I am going.
Once bitten....

panther said:
Sadly this could not be truer as I found out once. A bloke on a forum approached me for help. I decided he was genuine and took him to an area. MISTAKE!
Next thing I realized he had taken someone else behind my back... AND THEN, they took some other person who turned out to be a jerk. He even buried gold painted lead in the area. What a absolute wa***r. NEVER AGAIN>>> Now I don't tell anyone where and when I am going.
Once bitten....

That's the thing though, I've never once asked for anyone to give up their locations. I have always done the research myself and then ask questions like 'are we allowed to fossick here?'. The replies end up being riddles, that say an absolute 'yes' and an absolute 'no' simultaneously (or no replies at all, which is more often the case).

I've got a dozen spots around the area that I'm pretty sure that I'm allowed to be. If it turns out I'm not meant to be there and someone challenges me, I have a wad of paperwork that I can provide stating why I believe I am allowed there. Any reasonable judge would at least see that I have been putting in a hell of a lot of effort in trying to do the right thing.

I won't keep quoting everyone's posts - but yes, I have made the mistake of sharing a spot with someone a couple of times in the early days. It bit me on the backside and I was left very disappointed. Now I only have a very small circle of trusted colleagues who've earned that trust over a period of a couple of years. I'll keep the circle small, and a some spots to myself. They're too hard to find for it all to end in disappointment.

I think I have this beach sand stuff figured out now. This is from just 7 Kg of beach sand.

1584592485_gold_190320.jpg

Gotta love our golden beaches! :lol:

Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of black sand. More than I have seen anywhere else in fact, but doesn't pose much of a challenge in the pan.

I'm also keeping the black sand as I'm sure there has to me micros in there that I can't see. I'll work out what to do with all of that at a later date when I have a substantial amount.

At present I have about an inch of black sand in a big Moccona jar. Will wait until it's full before I start asking what to do with it. Won't take long at this rate.

Jazz said:
Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of black sand. More than I have seen anywhere else in fact, but doesn't pose much of a challenge in the pan.

I'm also keeping the black sand as I'm sure there has to me micros in there that I can't see. I'll work out what to do with all of that at a later date when I have a substantial amount.

At present I have about an inch of black sand in a big Moccona jar. Will wait until it's full before I start asking what to do with it. Won't take long at this rate.
Wait til it builds up a bit, then run it through a miller table is a good bet I usually find. Coffee jar full should be at least a two can job.
A bit of chalkboard paint on glass does a good job

Saw the reference to using glass jars (not a good idea) I was fortunate that may last job (not a medical one) before retirement where I had access to spare specimen jars and was able to keep them. Found them very handy, doesn't break plastic, wide mouth, tight screw lid, fits in pocket or bumbag. I was able to give a lot to our local Lapidary club which they sold on. You should be able to buy them but if you're in a place where you cannot I still have few spare ones for the cost of postage.

Hey Steve, some nice looking pieces there, not real smooth either. Do you have a detector. The SDC 2300 would pick up most of what you found there. By the way - do you have vanilla beans curing at the moment ?

Latest posts