Long Gully/Panton Hill

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caesar

Did someone say gold?
Reaction score
Hey all, I've seen a few mentions of Long Gully and Panton Hill (Vic) in regards to panning spots. But are creeks in reserves off limits? The Parks Vic website says "...many Reserves..." are ok for prospecting, but can't find anything about specific reserves.

For example, Long Gully (a creek which isn't on the exempt list) passes through Long Gully Bushland Reserve and Motschall Reserve and a few others in that area.

Instead, should I just be looking for areas where the creeks pass through Crown Land?

As a newbie, I just want to do the right thing.

Any advice from someone familiar with that area?

I have been to long gully in the past for a Bush walk up chinamans gully with the family. There wasn't much water in long gully when we were there but i did notice a few tailings piles about.

In saying that though. My understanding is you are not allowed to prospect in any reserves managed by vic parks unless stated on their website(I could be wrong though).

If anyone's interested, I've contacted Parks Vic about two of the reserves that Long Gully passes through. They advised that prospecting is NOT permitted in Long Gully Bushland Reserve. I also asked them about Wurran Reserve and was told this reserve is managed by the Nillumbik council. So I contacted Nillumbik council and they advised the prospecting is NOT permitted in Wurran Reserve.

It's good to have definitive answers on this - hopefully it helps others.

It has never been allowed in the aboriginal reserves... :)

At the same time, expect to get an answer off a council member about as honest as spit on a rock. Just fill holes in, dont flog a joint, or tell everyone where you dig, and youll have no problems at all.

One day, you will have no where to go. Just enjoy the hobby before all of us have to be illegal miners.

Councils approve logging, new tracks to be dug, drains to fill with rock and mud, dump huge rocks in the stream.. whatever. You can ask, but they will not give you the right answer. Anywhere. Its beter to save it all for the court date, if someone wants to attempt to push that far.

Hey all, I've seen a few mentions of Long Gully and Panton Hill (Vic) in regards to panning spots. But are creeks in reserves off limits? The Parks Vic website says "...many Reserves..." are ok for prospecting, but can't find anything about specific reserves.

For example, Long Gully (a creek which isn't on the exempt list) passes through Long Gully Bushland Reserve and Motschall Reserve and a few others in that area.

Instead, should I just be looking for areas where the creeks pass through Crown Land?

As a newbie, I just want to do the right thing.

Any advice from someone familiar with that area?
Hi mate. Sorry this reply has taken so long.

I frequently use long gully creek for panning. No one seems to mind as I've had many locals pop over for a chat. There's not a lot of gold in it but there is gold there. It was stripped and dredged in the 70s and 80s and the board of works divided up the land for sale and put a dam on each one so the dams collect the gold, pretty much.

With that said: just fill your holes in, don't rip out the native plants as some of them are protected and take your rubbish home with you.

Hi mate. Sorry this reply has taken so long.

I frequently use long gully creek for panning. No one seems to mind as I've had many locals pop over for a chat. There's not a lot of gold in it but there is gold there. It was stripped and dredged in the 70s and 80s and the board of works divided up the land for sale and put a dam on each one so the dams collect the gold, pretty much.

With that said: just fill your holes in, don't rip out the native plants as some of them are protected and take your rubbish home with you.
Thanks for the reply - I'm still yet to get there to take a look. Good to know it's accessible.

Latest posts