Gold detecting in the pilbara W.A. what detector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
I have just moved to the pilbara in W.A. and would like to do some gold detecting I have a nox 800 that I have used plenty for coin and relic hunting but would like to get serious into the gold side of things.
I'm thinking of getting a gpx5000 or maybe an sdc2300 what's your thoughts? And what coils would you recommend.
Most of my detecting will be close to iron ore deposits so not sure if one will work better then the other I'm leaning more towards the gpx5000 but want to make sure it's worth spending the extra money.
Many thanks
Rod

Hello Roddo. I'm a newbie too. And was planning a trip to the pilbara for June this year . That may have to be delayed until later this year or maybe even next year.But from my research if you have the money go for the gpz 7000. I bought a new gpx 4500 and added a NF 17x13 evo coil . I haven't been able to use it much yet, but a bloke who has done a fair bit of detecting in WA said the gpx 4500 did well with the 17x13 evo coil. I think the main ingredient is persistence no matter what detector you use .

Cheers for the comments.
I dont think the minister of finance will let me splash out on a 7000 maybe after I find a few pieces I may be able to. You can get a 4500 pretty cheap at the moment is it worth it or for the little extra is the 5000 a heap better unit.

Roddo said:
Cheers for the comments.
I dont think the minister of finance will let me splash out on a 7000 maybe after I find a few pieces I may be able to. You can get a 4500 pretty cheap at the moment is it worth it or for the little extra is the 5000 a heap better unit.

Gday

As far as the 4500 goes, there is the early release one and then a later version, the early release one in my opinion is the better of the two, much better depth but does not run as as quiet as the later version, the later version used the 5000 circuit board with a couple of timings disabled so is very close to the 5000 and runs a bit quieter and slightly more stable than the early version 4500, but either one will do well up there.

As far as pilbara detecting goes, I found the 4500 very good as being able to select different sized coils was important, often due to the restrictions on the ground covering spinifex, some areas are so covered that a small coil is all that you can use to get close to the ground and in between the spinifex clumps, alternatively a larger coil was used to scan over the top of the spinifex, some people used the nuggetfinder 25" mono for this, I used mainly the minelab 8" mono and also the nuggetfinder 12x7 eliptical mono for the tight spots and a lightweight 14" or 18" nuggetfinder sl mono for the open areas.

Some of the later version flat wound coils might also be good as well, I didn't use any of those as they were not in production back then, also I reckon the sdc2300 would have been a worthwhile machine as I did find lots of small nuggets and specimens, also found a really nice specimen with the 4500 and 8" mono, very deep in the spinifex with a couple of ounces in it, might not have heard it with a bigger coil as I was pushing the small coil through the spinifex.

cheers

stayyerAU

Well I bit the bullet and bought a gpx5000 a 2nd hand one popped up that was to good of value to knock back comes with an array of coils time to do some researching to find out how to get the best out of it and understand how to use it properly. Unfortunately I'm to far from civilization to do any proper training on it so will have to study up online and learn by trial out in the field. If there are any members in the Tom price paraburdoo area send me a message if your keen for a catch up.
Cheers
Rod
1585914879_20200403_195207.jpg

G'day

Looks like you did very well, you now have pretty much all you will need for up there, if you Utube "Jonathan Porter" he has done some very informative instructional vids on the Gpx detectors and you can also still find his dvds for sale on ebay and such, sometimes it makes much more sense when you are trying to learn to use something to see it done in conjunction with reading the manual, there was a detector dealer in Karratha, Pilbara Prospecting Supplies, not sure if its still operating now though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw74Rvd7SOw

cheers

stayyerAU

I lived in the Pilbara for many years. Still work there in Paraburdoo, but on forced vacation due to C19. I started with a ML 3500 with my go to coil a NK 17x11 mono. found lots of small gold, best one 23g 5 minutes from town. Changed up to a ML 5000 and to tell the truth I done better with the 35 which I found a lot easier to use and had the depth and sensitivity without too much wabbling in hi min ground. If you are just starting out and want to reduce your costs you should be able to pick up a 35 for around $2000 with a few extras thrown in. Will be out again when all this is over. Cheers Randy

Thanks guys.
I'm in paraburdoo and have heard there is plenty of gold around the place cant wait to get out there amongst it.

Hi Roddo, there are dozens of old patches within 3 hours of Para, you could even take a walk behind the church on Meharry st. I have heard of gold being found out there. Cheers Randy

Latest posts