gemstones at oallen ford.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greglz86

Greg Anderson
Reaction score
Hi guys, its me again :D
After the past few weeks going to oallen ford chasing the gold, I stumbled across a couple of sapphires.
I found both of these stones hidden away in my cons from my walbanker and didnt see them till I got home.
Im just curious to how often do they pop up there as im starting to think I might have thrown some away in the past.
im also wondering if anyone has seen or knows of other gemstones I should be keeping an eye out for. (If any)
Thanks for your time guys :)
Greg

If you have the gem catching section in your Walbanker I doubt you'll lose many. Have heard of small one's there, but don't think it's renowned for big ones like GG.

Greglz86 said:
Hi guys, its me again :D
After the past few weeks going to oallen ford chasing the gold, I stumbled across a couple of sapphires.
I found both of these stones hidden away in my cons from my walbanker and didnt see them till I got home.
Im just curious to how often do they pop up there as im starting to think I might have thrown some away in the past.
im also wondering if anyone has seen or knows of other gemstones I should be keeping an eye out for. (If any)
Thanks for your time guys :)
Greg

Never found one out that way myself. Have you had the banker and the mat out at Grabben Gullen recently.???? Have found 1 small diamond out there though.

Cheers Wal.

Haven't been out that way for a few months mate. Not since i got the banker anyway. Been meaning to though.
I wanted to shorten the breadcrate And add some expanded mesh at the end before I Had a good crack out there.
Cheers Greg

Just thought the sapphires may have come from the mat after a trip to GG. Might have to check out our "Forde" concentrates more carefully next trip, to see if there's any in them. Certainly never noticed any that would stay in the 1/8" sieve.

Cheers Wal.

All good. I had three trips to GG before I got the banker and all of those trips we would flip the sieve strait onto the ground with no mat.
The sad part is, the one I found at the ford is the biggest I have ever found :8
Greg

Greglz86 said:
All good. I had three trips to GG before I got the banker and all of those trips we would flip the sieve strait onto the ground with no mat.
The sad part is, the one I found at the ford is the biggest I have ever found :8
Greg

You got to be kidding mate :eek: .......did you shovel any gravel at all out of GG creek :D

Something else I noticed. I didnt see any spinel/black jack in the cons. Dont the two normally go together.
Its possible I just missed them but with my spinel to gem ratio at GG (1000-1 :8 ) I would have thought I would have seen a few.
Greg

Latest posts