GPX handle problems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is becoming an 'older' thread now, but i too have had to replace my oem 4K handle. I went with the oem replacement myself and no probs for 4 yrs now. I admit i have detected less in that time, but have been assured ML have upgraded the composite used in manufacture...and i have also adopted a different 'grip' to transfer energy differently when sweeping the ground.

The point of my post arose from Nightjars comment. Most of my detecting has been done with basically the 11" and NF 17"x10" mono's....
although i own up to 20" coils they don't get much ground time where i detect. I also use the bungy when the 17x10 is on, though not as much when 'bulldozing' an area on 'clean-up' with the 11".

So, to finally get to the point of this post, i am left wondering if it is only those not using a bungy (as i imagine it was the 11" bulldozing without bungy that resulted in the broken handle) that are suffering the deadly BHS (broken handle syndrome)???

How about it folks, let us know how you use your gear that results in a broken handle?..I noticed back in 2007 JP in his video's reveals a very low to shaft 'grip' while he's swinging (and big coils a lot of the time) and his bungy.

Do those with broken handles also (or not at all) use the hand strap on the handle? or just free grab the handle and push?

There may be a common denominator to arrest all these FAILS i keep reading of, that has so far been overlooked.

Let's see if we can get it sorted once and for all huh? :)

BTW, how is the 'fix' holding out for you Luke???

Cheers,
Gypsy

I have never broken a handle. I only use a bungy if going bigger than an 11"/12" coil, but one point is that I hold my handle quite low towards the shaft.

If I do bust a handle one day I'd probably replace it with the Detech one. They look nice n chunky.

Could be worth a note also that the further down you move the handle (to a point) the more counter weight effect the battery will have and reduce load off actual handle but this is probably determined by the cubit length of each operator as to what is comfortable

I made a new one from Meranti timber , it wasn't that hard , works well ,cost almost nothing, and unbreakable ( I hope )

Regards Bruce

1483681222_img_3884.jpg
1483681237_img_3886.jpg
1483681248_img_3885.jpg

The attached photo shows another fix for the weak Minelab handle.
The handle was broken at its lower portion where it meets the mount section.

A 25 mm "Forstner" bit was used to drill into the mount section.
A length of 25 mm aluminum tube was cut at an angle and fitted to the mount section. This was a good tight fit.
A 4mm bolt an nut was fitted as shown.
A 10mm oval-ed hole was made for the Quick-Track cable.
The old plastic handle portion was filed to fit snugly into the aluminum tube.

There is a need to use the "Forstner" bit slowly so as not to melt the plastic too much.
There is possibly a need to fit a small screw to fasten the old handle part to the aluminum tube.

1585696577_img_7923.jpg

G'day

Thought I had better strengthen the area where the 4mm bolt is.
The new image shows aluminum angled plates both sides of the mount section.
They are cut from aluminum angle extrusion.
The fix is, I guess, much stronger than the original Minelab handle

1586332843_img_7936.jpg

G'day Nightjar

It is off a friends detector. I understand he knocked the detector on a bush whilst detecting.

Latest posts