GP Extreme to GPX 4000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5286

Elijah
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been running the same GP extreme for about 6 years, and while i've found a bunch of gold with it, lately I'm noticing my hunting partner with his GP 3500 modified unit, icking up gold covering the same ground I've just been over, getting a bit frustrating.

So I'm considering stepping up to the 4000, What are you thoughts on this machine? I've sourced a couple for between $2200-2400..

Good price? is it a worth while upgrade? Can't really swing the funds for a 4500,5000 so ..

Any insight would be much appreciated..

Elijah
I own a 4000 and think their a good machine,the price your looking at would in my opinion be in the ball park should have stock standard stuff,but one would expect extras maybe extra coils ,should have two batteries.Basically everthing you need to go detecting,if you cant stretch the funds for a 4500 ,the 4000 will do the job .Go for it.

lordo.1 said:
Elijah
I own a 4000 and think their a good machine,the price your looking at would in my opinion be in the ball park should have stock standard stuff,but one would expect extras maybe extra coils ,should have two batteries.Basically everthing you need to go detecting,if you cant stretch the funds for a 4500 ,the 4000 will do the job .Go for it.

lordo.1,

Thanks for the reply, I've got some wiggle room in budget, but not too much, hopefully i can find a 4000 in the right price range, form other posts i've read here, i can see that people are having decent success with them..

Thanks again.

old hand said:
I think for $2400 you should pick up a older 4500 :Y:

That would be nice, though i haven't seen one that cheap for a while, I might ring around next week, see what some of the stores have, i hear marybrough gold centre get a lot of stock in and out..

i live just up the road from them they do get some good deals just ask if they do get a older one to give you a ring regards john

GP extreme to 4000 gives you a lighter control box, lighter battery, and Sens Smooth timing giving you the ability to run the flat wound monos in mineralised soils. Also a smoother threshold. I say you got nothing to loose. A 12x8" or even 14x9" Evo really wakes it up on very small stuff.

Run it for a while and then keep an eye out for a 4500 or 5000 down the track.

PhaseTech said:
GP extreme to 4000 gives you a lighter control box, lighter battery, and Sens Smooth timing giving you the ability to run the flat wound monos in mineralised soils. Also a smoother threshold. I say you got nothing to loose. A 12x8" or even 14x9" Evo really wakes it up on very small stuff.

Run it for a while and then keep an eye out for a 4500 or 5000 down the track.

Phase, thanks for the advice, excellent very helpful info. I actually own the 14x9 Evo currently, so it makes sense to grab a 4k and have a go..

Now i just have to find one at the right price lol..

Thanks again.

4000 is just as good as gpx 4500 for overall sensitivity and depth on all sizes gold. I owned a 4000 couple yrs and found gold. The gpx 4500 has more control over noise, was not impressed with gp3500 after running my 4000.

Can anyone recommend any dealers down in Victoria that might be worth contacting about used gear?
looking to blow about $2750 on something decent 4000,4500(if i'm real lucky)

Any info would be appreciated.
Though it might be a moot point, given all the covid19 stuff going down.

Thanks..

Elijah said:
Can anyone recommend any dealers down in Victoria that might be worth contacting about used gear?
Thanks..

Have you considered Cash Converters online shopping service? The prices are often very good and they'll usually give you a 90 day warranty. I've bought a pair of Celestron binoculars and an ArkPak 730 battery pack via the website recently - service and delivery was first-class in both cases.

GPX4000 $1,999:
https://www.cashconverters.com.au/s...s/metal-detectors/metal-detector/017100178536

GPX4500 $2,199:
https://www.cashconverters.com.au/s...s/metal-detectors/metal-detector/000800231224

Metal Detectors generally:
https://www.cashconverters.com.au/s...2262&query=metal detector&f[locations][0]=all

Hmm, 4500 missing a harness and battery pack and chargers, sounds like someone grabbed a detector and ran! I'd definitely be checking the serial number on that one to make sure it isn't stolen. Also, how do they know it's working if they don't have the battery for it??

PhaseTech said:
Hmm, 4500 missing a harness and battery pack and chargers, sounds like someone grabbed a detector and ran! I'd definitely be checking the serial number on that one to make sure it isn't stolen. Also, how do they know it's working if they don't have the battery for it??

Yeah looks a bit sus to me, and now the listing is no longer available..

grubstake said:
Elijah said:
Thanks..

Have you considered Cash Converters online shopping service? The prices are often very good and they'll usually give you a 90 day warranty. I've bought a pair of Celestron binoculars and an ArkPak 730 battery pack via the website recently - service and delivery was first-class in both cases.

GPX4000 $1,999:
https://www.cashconverters.com.au/s...s/metal-detectors/metal-detector/017100178536

GPX4500 $2,199:
https://www.cashconverters.com.au/s...s/metal-detectors/metal-detector/000800231224

Metal Detectors generally:
https://www.cashconverters.com.au/s...2262&query=metal detector&f[locations][0]=all

Actually ended up grabbing that GPX 4000 from Cashies, got a nice discount beyond the 10% plus free shipping to NSW.. PLUS 3 month warranty.
Looks a bit rough but as long as it does the job, I'll be happy.

Thanks for the suggestion grubstake.

Latest posts