Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indie i just bought my first myself this week. I researched until my eyes popped.
I went for an Equinox 800. Most of my detecting will be coin and Relic wirth some gold. I came very close to getting the Nokta Makro gold Kruzer too. I figured that there were so many good reports from so many people across the globe that playing the percentages was easier. Got mine at the Anaconda sales and the value was crazy good

Indie, what you haven't mentioned is if you will be mainly beach/coin/jewellery hunting, relic hunting, a mixture of that plus a bit of gold prospecting, or just purely gold prospecting. This influences what detector is best suited. There are a range of brands & models in your budget of $1500 that fit all these uses

DED

One of the sister inlaws messaged me a couple of nights ago about buying her hubby a detector for his birthday.
I asked what her budget was and what David would do with it.
She came back with the usual answer " looking for coins and gold"

I don't know what her budget is but I've suggested a few detectors in the $1000+/- region.
But I'm determined to suggest the best detector for David that his wife can afford.
They live at Dulacca Queensland formerly known as woop woop

My history with detectors isn't extensive it started in the 80's in Mackay Queensland with a Whites 6000D.
Now own a Minelab Xterra 70 and a Fisher 1350.

A couple of detectors l suggested were the Minelab etrac and the Garrett AT pro but l know there are many other brands and models in that price bracket that maybe better.
It's a minefield out there when looking at detector reviews
But keep in mind Dave hasn't had a detector before so something fairly simple will be the go.

Any other suggestions are welcome as she hasn't gotten back to me yet

Thank you so much for sharing this! For me, as a user of different metal detectors, this video was very interesting and useful. I'm an archaeologist, and due to my job, I am using the metal detectors pretty often. Recently, I have bought a very nice metal detector, called Garrett ACE 400 and I am really satisfied with it, as it has a lot of functions. However, I was always curious about how is a metal detector made and how does it work. Now I know more about it. Thank you for sharing this cool video, I really appreciate it.

Evening All,
I too am interested in doing some prospecting, mainly for gold in the bendigo and surrounding areas. although id say every bit of ground has been searched but it gets me out of the house.
i have the opportunity to buy an E-trac but i dont think its they way to go for my first detector.
There is so much to learn. looking to spend approx $1000

Hi Scotty.

The second post in this thread has some good links to threads about the same question - choosing a first detector.

The fact you know you want to prospect for gold is a good start.

This is also a great link but it is US $ so just need to convert to Aus.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-guides/steve-guide-gold-nugget-detectors/

Being around Bendigo a PI would be an advantage due to mineralisation but a VLF will do a job and also give you the versatility of doing a bit of coin/jewellery/park/beach/lake hunting.

Good luck.

We spend a fair bit of time using a metal detector, usually searching for gold but we're interested in relics as well and have separate detectors for that. For those times when we don't have the energy to swing the detector or just want a reason to get out and about we spend a bit of time Geocaching.

I'm not trying to distract you from this fabulous hobby but some simply don't enjoy it and Geocaching is a great incentive to get you out and about, is more of a shared experience and can be suitable to all ages and ranges of physical ability.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/xE-zMPhiAi0[/video]

Often we're heading off to some distant (secret) location in the search of gold or treasure when we need a spot to stop for lunch or an overnight stay. Mrs M will just log in to our geocaching app and find a geocache somewhere not too far ahead but usually off the beaten path. It adds another dimension to the journey :)

Thanks for the replies,
i think i have made my mind up on what direction i will go.
just need to decide between the Equinox 800 and the Gold monster 1000.
So many decisions and i haven't even left the house yet, i will be a nerves wreck by the time i get to hit the field.
my theory is a bad day detecting should be better than my best day at work.

Scott

Scottyc said:
Thanks for the replies,
i think i have made my mind up on what direction i will go.
just need to decide between the Equinox 800 and the Gold monster 1000.
So many decisions and i haven't even left the house yet, i will be a nerves wreck by the time i get to hit the field.
my theory is a bad day detecting should be better than my best day at work.

Scott

If you want to search for relics and gold, the Nox800 is the better machine...if you want to search for gold only, I think the GM1000 is probably going to be better suited but not by much..

If you go for a new Nox800 from a dealer, try to get a 6" coil thrown in the deal as that seems to be the preferred coil on mineralized or trashy soil.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would get a Nox800 first and if the bug took hold of me, I would then save for a used version of Minelabs dedicated upper end gold machines as that would be a very useful combo....

Hi Scott - I agree 100% with what Pete E said just above.

Nox is far more versatile and I think will also have better retail if you choose to sell it in the future.

Thanks Everyone,
I think the Nox it will be. i have noticed that the resale value is quiet high and very easy to move on.

Appreciate the help, there are alot of forums out there that don't seem to give information to beginners.

Scott

Could take the weekend (or 2 consecutive days) and try hiring a machine from Coiltek in Maryborough, only a short drive further down the road.

One or two days swinging around will give you a good feel for the gold detecting then you can consider your PI options.

The Nox is hard work on gold (less so with the 6 inch), same for GM, never mind the sales hype. Neither are bad detectors, just hard to use in hot ground and are only good on shallow targets. Ive owned both and tested their mettle. Both machines require a lot of mental patience.

The Nox is pretty darn good on coins though, and has more settings than youll ever need. If you spend time with it on the ground regularly you would recoup your outlay. I kept my 600 for that reason.

Im not trying to go against the grain on the above advice only to say that gold is hard to find, and so Id advise giving yourself the best chance.

I got my GM second hand for the same price I sold it for, plenty for sale if you are curious, a lot with warranty still. :perfect:

Edit I just read the above reply, good luck mate :Y:

Thanks OLD GT,

I think i will hunt around for one and try my luck, not expecting to get rich just get out and have some fun.

If anyone sees a Nox800 for sale please let me know.