Far North Queensland / North Queensland information and questions (QLD)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Pig

Harry
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking at the prospect of returning to Townsville ( The Ville ) at the end of the year. Although I have done some recce trips to Charters Towers and the scores of mines with limited access, and panned fine gold at Ravenswood, is there good areas for detecting and or sluicing in the NQ area. I know that the Palmer has its reputation, but can be an ordeal to get to - or is it worth the trip. There little fields around like out the back of Greenvale Hodgkinson Georgetown Gilberton etc.

Any experiences or tips ? --- I am hoping that when I get there that I might be able to meet follow forum members and organise some outings like the Canberra based area one coming up in April.

Regards Harry

I'm sure there's quite a few forum members not too far away from the Townsville area...a "Tuena" style outing in the area would be a worthwhile exercise...best of luck if you venture up that way...Cheers Wal. :)

Good luck - I hope you find somebody willing to take you out. But gold prospectors are usually a secretive bunch.

If you google gold fossiking queensland you should see a link to the qld gov mines site. there are a few designated fossick areas in nq. other areas are as u mentioned. each area has its pros n cons. tyrany of distance isour main issue up here.. everyhng is a cut lunch and thermos drive away!

Hi guys and girls,
Heading up to Mackey at the end of the month and would like to do some fossicking on the way up,done all my fossicking in the south and west of nsw and none in the north and none in qld..Help with a few spots on the way up to have a fossick would a great help and what permits do I need for qld
Cheers GR.....

Ok mate I'll get ya started first camp rocky river Uralla it's got a free camp just outa town then maybe head up to glendon its about 4-5 hr drive but don't know what the camp fees are mate maybe someone can enlighten you, from there I got nothing, anyone else ?
cheers
Skip

Fosicker permit from mines dept online or buy from mining shop. bout $10 a mobth.. gympie.. is on the way. there are a few spots arond rockhampton. or clarence river area should be researched

Heres a link to the qld mines site, has a list of declared areas accessable with a qld fossicking permit. mines.industry.qld.gov.au

Hey all,

Im in Cairns and have some time off in August to go detecting or panning or whatever...its all fun!

If there's anyone heading out to FNQ gold fields that would like some company let me know; ) I have an instagram name Bondi Treasure Hunter...usually I detect along the beaches in Sydney. Using a minelab ctx3030 :)

Would be great to have some fun looking for gold. I live in a Van so can meet wherever!!

Look forward to hearing from you.

I am very interested, unfortunately itll be a little while before I can head up that way.
I have a friend who is trying to get permission for us at Coen but nothing concrete yet and we havent set dates.
Matt T

Hi guys and gals,

I bought my son a detector for his 10th bday.
Super keen to get amoungst it with him.

I have a question

Has anyone detected the NQ Greenvale area for either gold or relics etc ?
Im led to believe there is a large amount of Alluvial gold and the odd nugget.
Not looking for exact locations, just some personal experience in the area.

Thanks everyone.

Scott & Ryan. :perfect:

Hi Scott & Ryan,

Here is a photo that shows historic mines in the area that gold has been found. I put Greenvale dead centre.
1585352789_screenshot_20200328-074348_copy_600x800.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Doug

PS, welcome to the forum.

Latest posts