SD2000 Vs SD2100

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day guys I'm looking at 2 X detectors the SD2000 for $500 stock with 2 X coils or a SD2100 modded with 2 coils for $675 not sure which one I'll purchase.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

I had the standard SD2100 and thought it was a better detector, but the X Coils could make the difference for the SD2000.

Regardless unless you are detecting in WA or Tibooburra you are most likely going over ground already covered by operators in the Vic Golden Triangle in the past/now using a SD2200, GP3000,3500, 4000, 4500, 7000 and 2300.

Thats why I suggest the Gold Monster or a Nox 800 with the 6 inch coil to find gold in Trash areas in the Triangle that operators with the above detectors mostly avoid.

Peter

I would stay away from any modded detector.

You never know what any "wanna be Bruce Candy" has done / probably ruined a good detector.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

So long as it has the front mods, 2 dials, and the VCO mod on the back panel then it should be fine. Just ask who did the mods. There are a couple of other mods I think, but those 2 are the bees knees.

Axtyr.

I have just checked my SD2000 and it has the following modifications.

On the FRONT panel:

2 extra channels. This is probably the easiest of the modifications

Extra Ground Balance toggle switch. I rarely used this. This is when the other modifications cause the ground balance controls for channels 1 or 2 runs out of adjustment.

Extra Gain dial. This one I rarely used as well. I think it caused the problems with the ground balance.

On the REAR panel:

VCO 4 position rotor switch. This adds 4 extra frequencies to the detector. This is a very important modification.

2 position toggle switch. This selects either High Frequency or Low Frequency. It is probably part of the VCO circuit.

An extra dial. I have no idea what this dial does anymore. I will check my notes

It has been 5 years since I used this detector but I used it for about 18 months before I purchased my 7000. I can't verify how well it would have gone without the modifications but I used it almost exclusively with the Minelab 8" mono coil. The ground I was prospecting on at the time was very quiet.
The month before I bought the 7000 I bought a Coiltek Elite 14" mono coil and it ran nicely as well. The SD series were apparently not built to use mono coils but I had no problem with them. I also ran the detector at 7 volts instead of the standard 6 volts. This required the use of a 12 volt battery and a voltage regulator which I made up myself (purchased as a kit from Jaycar). Mick the Mechanic makes lightweight lithium batteries that can be used with the SD detectors and the voltage can be adjusted.

The first 12 months I used the detector with the 8" mono and I was on private property. I found almost an ounce of gold in that time, the largest piece being 13 grams, the smallest being about 0.06 gram. In fact I found quite a few pieces 0.1 and 0.06 gram. From 12 months to 18 months I also used a GPX 5000.

I hope this information helps.

1585120169_screenshot_20200325-180446.jpg

That looks really dusty. Hasn't been used for a while. That is the back panel and I can't make out what the modifications are. Google Minelabmods and it will take you to Ismaels website. Look under DIY and you will find instructions for doing the mods and which ones are suitable for which of the SD series detectors.

1585122833_p3250011.jpg

This is the FRONT panel of my SD2000.

The 2 RED dials are GAIN (sensitivity) controls for each of the 2 channels. BALANCE I is Channel 1 and BALANCE II is Channel 2, the 2 large black knobs.

The GB2+ toggle switch probably isn't necessary. I know I never used it.
The GAIN green dial is also not that important. I also did not use this.

1585123881_p3250012.jpg

This is the REAR panel of my SD2000.

The only mod you really need is the VCO. It is a 6 position switch with position 1 being off, then the next 4 positions are for 4 different frequencies, and the last position is for VCO only.

VCO is the only position I ever used. The toggle on the side is for the VCO and sets the frequency when in the VCO position to either HF or LF.
It's been so long since I used this detector that I can't remember what the green dial does.

Regards Axtyr.

Triton09.

Just had a look at the diagrams for the modifications. On the back panel the switches at the back are for,:

6 position switch: On/Off plus 4 extra frequencies plus the VCO

Toggle switch: Changes the VCO between Low Frequency and High Frequency.

Green Dial: Adjusts the voltage to the VCO via a variable resistor.

Latest posts