Good source of facet rough

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all,

I had planned to do a trip up to QLD Central Gemfields & Obriens creek in the next few months. That's obviously been put on hold for awhile. Which means less time looking for rocks & more time cutting.

All gem shows have also been postponed. So the avenues for getting hold decent stones to cut have narrowed down a lot. I have previously purchased stones through Ebay with varying success.

Can anyone please recommend any other good sources of rough for faceting?

Best regards

Bullwinkle

Hey Bullwinkle, I feel your frustration. I dont know if youre looking for sapphire in particular but Ive got a few clean pieces of Smokey quartz I could give you if your interested. They look like they would cut well.
If so PM me with your postal address and Ill post it to you.
I gather Australia Post is still working??

Martyz said:
Hey Bullwinkle, I feel your frustration. I dont know if youre looking for sapphire in particular but Ive got a few clean pieces of Smokey quartz I could give you if your interested. They look like they would cut well.
If so PM me with your postal address and Ill post it to you.
I gather Australia Post is still working??
Thank Martyz,
You're a legend. I have PM'd you.
Best regards
Mark

Wally69 said:
Happy to make a topaz donation to you Mark
Thanks Wally,
I really appreciate it mate & can hopefully repay you when I do get back out into the bush. I'll send you my details.
Martyz has also sent me some smokey, so I now have projects to keep me going for awhile, which is awesome.
Best
Regards
Mark

Bullwinkle look up

BR Gemstones: brgemstones.com.au
Aussie Rocks & Minerals: australianrocksandminerals.com.au
LA Gems: lagems.net

These guys all sell at shows, so are going to be struggling as well.

I've got plenty of clear quartz that I've chucked in the garden, a lot has nice clear sections once you cut out the inclusions, plus I can chop you a piece of really dark Brazilian smokey if you like.

Bullwinkle said:
Wally69 said:
Happy to make a topaz donation to you Mark
Thanks Wally,
I really appreciate it mate & can hopefully repay you when I do get back out into the bush. I'll send you my details.
Martyz has also sent me some smokey, so I now have projects to keep me going for awhile, which is awesome.
Best
Regards
Mark

No need to repay Mark, my reward will be seeing you transform some stones.

Dihusky said:
Bullwinkle look up

BR Gemstones: brgemstones.com.au
Aussie Rocks & Minerals: australianrocksandminerals.com.au
LA Gems: lagems.net

These guys all sell at shows, so are going to be struggling as well.

I've got plenty of clear quartz that I've chucked in the garden, a lot has nice clear sections once you cut out the inclusions, plus I can chop you a piece of really dark Brazilian smokey if you like.

Thanks Dihusky,
I really appreciate your kind offer, although I reckon Martyz & Wally might have me covered for awhile.
I will definately follow up with BR Gemstones
Best regards & thanks
Mark

Does anyone know where Lefty is these days? He's been MIA on here for a while now. Is he OK?

Cheers,
Megsy

I have a couple pieces of lapis, citrine and amethyst if that suits around 100 to 150 grams I would estimate, send contact details and will post off, cheers Noel.

pinfire opals said:
I have a couple pieces of lapis, citrine and amethyst if that suits around 100 to 150 grams I would estimate, send contact details and will post off, cheers Noel.
Thanks Noel,
I really appreciate your kind offer.
Best regards
Mark

Last I herd, Lefty has a Facebook ? page selling his cut Stones now.. :gemstone:

I don't do Fakebook so I can't do a search for you Megsy... :/

LW....

Thanks LW. Was a bit worried about our old mate. Glad he's OK.

I miss seeing his fabulous stones on here. Will search him up on Facebook.

Cheers,
Megsy

sent an email to Leftys advertised link

[email protected]
Re: Missing your comments on Prospecting Australia forum
30/03/2020 12:57 PM
To:Raymond Gill <[email protected]>
Gday, I'm still alive, the bug hasn't gotten me. Been so swamped with stuff since I started cutting for a living that I stopped commenting on PA, like King Solomon before me. I'll head on over and check out out when I get a chance. I hope you and your family are well - I don't think any of us will be meeting at the Anakie gemfest this year unfortunately. Hoping this thing is under control as quick as possible. Cheers, Jason (Lefty)

On 2020-03-29 14:53, Raymond Gill wrote:
> Hello I am Raymond Gill and have been following Leftys page on
> Prospecting Australia.
>
> I have also purchased 3 cut gems from him.
>
> ray

:gemstone: :gemstone:

Latest posts