You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

mudgee hunter
19 March 2020 09:21 pm

They are cheap as these days!
But a friend of mine ordered 2 from a camping mob from Vic.
OMG! Absolute crap!
Firstly the alloy extrusion was made up from 3 off cuts!
Crudely bolted together that was disgraceful!
The outrigger poles where drilled 1.5mm from the edge of the 0.9mm extrusion!
Tear off in no time!
The bag was totally seperate from the awning!
Like a gun bag!
And no way in hell can it be altered to be like it should be, without $$$
BEWARE of trying to save $20 on the cheapest of Chinese crap!

Member of the "Banker Gang"

3 users like this post: Simmo, RM Outback, CreviceSucker

Simmo
19 March 2020 09:32 pm

We actually bought the big Gull wing one from 4wd super store recently and I'm amazed at the quality of it.
Seems very solidly built?

Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.

1 user likes this post: mudgee hunter

Perth Tim
19 March 2020 09:55 pm

The best one I've seen is the one from supa peg. $280 i think but worth it as it has a middle beam so it doesn't collapse in the rain

2 users like this post: mudgee hunter, RM Outback

mudgee hunter
19 March 2020 10:00 pm

I will post some pics tomorrow...
Even paying $10......
You would be let down. poop

Member of the "Banker Gang"

1 user likes this post: AngerManagement

Samantha Nichols
25 March 2020 11:23 pm

I don't know about your awning but I am using Dometic Camping Trailer Awning for my RV and I am pretty satisfied with it. It not only has good quality but also very easy to install and use. I think you can buy it for your RV.

1 user likes this post: mudgee hunter

Ridge Runner
25 March 2020 11:30 pm

Samantha Nichols wrote:

I don't know about your awning but I am using Dometic Camping Trailer Awning for my RV and I am pretty satisfied with it. It not only has good quality but also very easy to install and use. I think you can buy it for your RV.

Is that the one that looks like a Tent with poles or Air Tubes ??

J.

Dig em all,

AngerManagement
Repairs + X-pointers
Repairs + X-pointers
25 March 2020 11:41 pm

Mine is a side awning attached to the car and about 5 years old; but due to shoulder problems, I can put it up if no wind and I take care. But I can not pull it down without assistance, without doping poles and possible damaging the car.

Easy up with one person, is one factor. But the ability to drop with any sort of breeze, by one self; would be a big selling point for me.

Always have my eyes open, so feel free to post pics and experiences.

Best find - The Wife # Equipment - X-Pointer x 4, Nokta Fors Gold Plus, Excalibur II, CTX3030 and a Minore III with custom wood - and lots of other stuff

2 users like this post: RM Outback, mudgee hunter

Ridge Runner
25 March 2020 11:45 pm

AngerManagement wrote:

Mine is a side awning attached to the car and about 5 years old; but due to shoulder problems, I can put it up if no wind and I take care. But I can not pull it down without assistance, without doping poles and possible damaging the car.

Easy up with one person, is one factor. But the ability to drop with any sort of breeze, by one self; would be a big selling point for me.

Always have my eyes open, so feel free to post pics and experiences.

AM what vehicle is it for because I got one that slips over the tailgate which you just peg at the corners and it doesn't have a frame.

Dig em all,

AngerManagement
Repairs + X-pointers
Repairs + X-pointers
26 March 2020 01:59 am

Hilux dual cab 4x4. With a canopy. 3M x 3M side mount at the moment...

Had one that connected to the rear but it was a Super Cheap brands and the poles just all shattered after a couple of uses.

My original intent was to put out the Awning and then set up my Cot Tent under it. Worked a few times but as stated b4, wind and or shoulder issues = problems. All about what is functional for an Over night camp OR maybe longer.

Some of the bat wing awnings look OK, but I would take PA members feedback over the reviews I see on line. And as usual some are better than others.

Best find - The Wife # Equipment - X-Pointer x 4, Nokta Fors Gold Plus, Excalibur II, CTX3030 and a Minore III with custom wood - and lots of other stuff

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner
26 March 2020 03:56 am

AngerManagement wrote:

Hilux dual cab 4x4. With a canopy. 3M x 3M side mount at the moment...

Had one that connected to the rear but it was a Super Cheap brands and the poles just all shattered after a couple of uses.

My original intent was to put out the Awning and then set up my Cot Tent under it. Worked a few times but as stated b4, wind and or shoulder issues = problems. All about what is functional for an Over night camp OR maybe longer.

Some of the bat wing awnings look OK, but I would take PA members feedback over the reviews I see on line. And as usual some are better than others.

Dometic make some nice Tent type Side and End Awnings, some with poles and some that inflate and they have sewn in ground sheets so no Snakes and you end up with quite a usable room that's all fly screened, They have a large opening to the outside and a largish opening that clips to the side of the vehicle over the door area.

J.

Dig em all,

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site