You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

mudgee hunter
19 March 2020 09:21 pm

They are cheap as these days!
But a friend of mine ordered 2 from a camping mob from Vic.
OMG! Absolute crap!
Firstly the alloy extrusion was made up from 3 off cuts!
Crudely bolted together that was disgraceful!
The outrigger poles where drilled 1.5mm from the edge of the 0.9mm extrusion!
Tear off in no time!
The bag was totally seperate from the awning!
Like a gun bag!
And no way in hell can it be altered to be like it should be, without $$$
BEWARE of trying to save $20 on the cheapest of Chinese crap!

Member of the "Banker Gang"

3 users like this post: Simmo, RM Outback, CreviceSucker

Simmo
19 March 2020 09:32 pm

We actually bought the big Gull wing one from 4wd super store recently and I'm amazed at the quality of it.
Seems very solidly built?

Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.

1 user likes this post: mudgee hunter

Perth Tim
19 March 2020 09:55 pm

The best one I've seen is the one from supa peg. $280 i think but worth it as it has a middle beam so it doesn't collapse in the rain

2 users like this post: mudgee hunter, RM Outback

mudgee hunter
19 March 2020 10:00 pm

I will post some pics tomorrow...
Even paying $10......
You would be let down. poop

1 user likes this post: AngerManagement

Samantha Nichols
25 March 2020 11:23 pm

I don't know about your awning but I am using Dometic Camping Trailer Awning for my RV and I am pretty satisfied with it. It not only has good quality but also very easy to install and use. I think you can buy it for your RV.

Ridge Runner
25 March 2020 11:30 pm

Samantha Nichols wrote:

I don't know about your awning but I am using Dometic Camping Trailer Awning for my RV and I am pretty satisfied with it. It not only has good quality but also very easy to install and use. I think you can buy it for your RV.

Is that the one that looks like a Tent with poles or Air Tubes ??

J.

AKA, Fridge Runner....

AngerManagement
Repairs + X-pointers
Repairs + X-pointers
25 March 2020 11:41 pm

Mine is a side awning attached to the car and about 5 years old; but due to shoulder problems, I can put it up if no wind and I take care. But I can not pull it down without assistance, without doping poles and possible damaging the car.

Easy up with one person, is one factor. But the ability to drop with any sort of breeze, by one self; would be a big selling point for me.

Always have my eyes open, so feel free to post pics and experiences.

Best find - The Wife # Equipment - X-Pointer x 4, Nokta Fors Gold Plus, Excalibur II, CTX3030 and a Minore III with custom wood - and lots of other stuff

2 users like this post: RM Outback, mudgee hunter

Ridge Runner
25 March 2020 11:45 pm

AngerManagement wrote:

Mine is a side awning attached to the car and about 5 years old; but due to shoulder problems, I can put it up if no wind and I take care. But I can not pull it down without assistance, without doping poles and possible damaging the car.

Easy up with one person, is one factor. But the ability to drop with any sort of breeze, by one self; would be a big selling point for me.

Always have my eyes open, so feel free to post pics and experiences.

AM what vehicle is it for because I got one that slips over the tailgate which you just peg at the corners and it doesn't have a frame.

AKA, Fridge Runner....

AngerManagement
Repairs + X-pointers
Repairs + X-pointers
26 March 2020 01:59 am

Hilux dual cab 4x4. With a canopy. 3M x 3M side mount at the moment...

Had one that connected to the rear but it was a Super Cheap brands and the poles just all shattered after a couple of uses.

My original intent was to put out the Awning and then set up my Cot Tent under it. Worked a few times but as stated b4, wind and or shoulder issues = problems. All about what is functional for an Over night camp OR maybe longer.

Some of the bat wing awnings look OK, but I would take PA members feedback over the reviews I see on line. And as usual some are better than others.

Best find - The Wife # Equipment - X-Pointer x 4, Nokta Fors Gold Plus, Excalibur II, CTX3030 and a Minore III with custom wood - and lots of other stuff

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner
26 March 2020 03:56 am

AngerManagement wrote:

Hilux dual cab 4x4. With a canopy. 3M x 3M side mount at the moment...

Had one that connected to the rear but it was a Super Cheap brands and the poles just all shattered after a couple of uses.

My original intent was to put out the Awning and then set up my Cot Tent under it. Worked a few times but as stated b4, wind and or shoulder issues = problems. All about what is functional for an Over night camp OR maybe longer.

Some of the bat wing awnings look OK, but I would take PA members feedback over the reviews I see on line. And as usual some are better than others.

Dometic make some nice Tent type Side and End Awnings, some with poles and some that inflate and they have sewn in ground sheets so no Snakes and you end up with quite a usable room that's all fly screened, They have a large opening to the outside and a largish opening that clips to the side of the vehicle over the door area.

J.

AKA, Fridge Runner....

AngerManagement
Repairs + X-pointers
Repairs + X-pointers
29 March 2020 01:58 pm

Ridge Runner wrote:

Dometic make some nice Tent type Side and End Awnings, some with poles and some that inflate and they have sewn in ground sheets so no Snakes and you end up with quite a usable room that's all fly screened, They have a large opening to the outside and a largish opening that clips to the side of the vehicle over the door area.

J.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place... Can see lots of options for Vans etc, but almost nothing for 4x4's

goldtruck59
29 March 2020 05:53 pm

every car I see has a bloody Kings mail order awning on it from China. They are cheap and only worth the asking price.
The saving grace is that when it dies you can cut it up for what its really made for- poo paper.
Spend you get good.

GT smile

PX Ranger Super Cab Xterra705, GPX5000, GPZ7000, Dog called Nugget, wife called boss.
From Near Bendigo

2 users like this post: Rockhunter62, mudgee hunter

Redfin
29 March 2020 06:44 pm

goldtruck59 wrote:

every car I see has a bloody Kings mail order awning on it from China. They are cheap and only worth the asking price.
The saving grace is that when it dies you can cut it up for what its really made for- poo paper.
Spend you get good.

GT smile

Agreed there mate.
Cannot for the life of me how people can put sh!t awnings, roofracks, draw systems in a $60k car.

Last edited by Redfin (29 March 2020 06:45 pm)

Det used - Whites 6000D, ML SD2000, ML SD 2001, ML SD 2200D, Garrett Infinium. Minelab SDC 2300. Minelab GPZ 7000.
Current Det - Garrett ASD Groundhog. . Minelab GPX 5000. Minelab GPX 4500.

2 users like this post: mudgee hunter, OldGT

reynard
29 March 2020 07:54 pm

Don't want to hijack the thread,but i have a solar blanket, winch, air compressor, draws, and all work brilliantly.
And when we go over to wa we give it all a solid workout, (not there for the pose value). Its surprising how since Kings
Started selling things at realistic prices others have scaled back thier ripoff margins.
Jim

2x 4500,s sdc 2300 , pheonix to stay in ,landcruiser to get us there and BACK ,and a wife as keen as me

4 users like this post: mudgee hunter, stoyve, LoneWolf, Gunna

Gaff
29 March 2020 10:20 pm

Redfin wrote:
goldtruck59 wrote:

Spend you get good.

GT smile

Agreed there mate.
Cannot for the life of me how people can put sh!t awnings, roofracks, draw systems in a $60k car.

Maybe they've got no money left after buying a $60K car.
Or maybe they don't want to make their 60K car a 75K car.

1 user likes this post: LoneWolf

Occasional_panner
30 March 2020 09:10 am

I don't know if the Kings ones have changed their design, but the ones I have seen (a few years ago now) had aluminium rivets holding them together which fail.

They are easily fixed though, drilling them out and replacing with bolts fixes the design floor.

Better to do this before the fall off as when they come off at speed or on a rough track they are bent and twisted around like a twistie.

3 users like this post: mudgee hunter, Rockhunter62, LoneWolf

Rockhunter62
30 March 2020 03:52 pm

Occasional_panner wrote:

I don't know if the Kings ones have changed their design, but the ones I have seen (a few years ago now) had aluminium rivets holding them together which fail.

They are easily fixed though, drilling them out and replacing with bolts fixes the design floor.

Better to do this before the fall off as when they come off at speed or on a rough track they are bent and twisted around like a twistie.

Had all but the front rivet fail at 100kph. Had to stop and take it off. Now has twice as many stainless rivets.

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

xcvator
30 March 2020 04:54 pm

With a bit of thought a wind out awning could be adapted to use on a 4wd. I was going to set 1 up on the old Jackaroo untill we got the van.

2 users like this post: mudgee hunter, LoneWolf

Samantha Nichols
18 April 2020 01:07 am

I don't know about your awning but I am using Dometic Camping Trailer Awning for my RV and I am pretty satisfied with it. It not only has good quality but also very easy to install and use. you can read more about this product at rvweb.net

2 users like this post: mudgee hunter, LoneWolf

CreviceSucker
18 April 2020 01:50 am

Lots of awnings from china have manufacturing defects that could cause them to fall off the mounts and spear through an oncoming vehicle windscreen

If you drill out all of the soft aluminium rivets and replace them with 4.8 mm diameter stainless steel rivets plus use double the number of rivets too.

having your awning fall off your vehicle is one thing , having it spear through somebodies windscreen is another.

first photo before and after repair.

1587134874_1410090502_awning_fix.jpg

Second photo is the canvas cover torn away from the extrusion clips

2 users like this post: Ridge Runner, mudgee hunter

Ded Driver
18 April 2020 11:46 am

One point to be aware of, puting stainless rivets on aluminium is fine normally, but if you take your vehicle on the beach a fair bit (as we do here on the West Coast) then over time the damp salt air will penetrate into the mounting & the stainless rivets will cause electrolytic corrosion of the aluminium frame around the rivets.
When I bought my side awning & before mounting it, I put double the amount of large aluminium rivets into it.
Another key thing is to check them regularly if you do a lot of driving, especially on rough roads.
Mine has not come loose yet. If it ever does I will replace the rivets with galvanised gutter bolts

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

3 users like this post: CreviceSucker, mudgee hunter, LoneWolf

CreviceSucker
18 April 2020 01:55 pm

Ded Driver wrote:

One point to be aware of, puting stainless rivets on aluminium is fine normally, but if you take your vehicle on the beach a fair bit (as we do here on the West Coast) then over time the damp salt air will penetrate into the mounting & the stainless rivets will cause electrolytic corrosion of the aluminium frame around the rivets.
When I bought my side awning & before mounting it, I put double the amount of large aluminium rivets into it.
Another key thing is to check them regularly if you do a lot of driving, especially on rough roads.
Mine has not come loose yet. If it ever does I will replace the rivets with galvanised gutter bolts

Yup but Marine shops sell a thing called Duralac

It prevents galvanic corrosion which is an absolute mongrel as you mentioned , around salty air , or even salty soils.

2 users like this post: Ded Driver, LoneWolf

mudgee hunter
15 July 2020 10:29 pm

I just got my "kings" awning delivered.
I'm in the process of beefing up the W extrusion.
This requires a peice of 80x40x3mm alloy RHS.
Length depends on you mounting brackets. But 200mm is a good average.
You will get a pair out of one peice.
Basically measure in from plastic end clip 200mm.
Use tin snips to remove middle fin, up to back wall of alloy extrusion (15mm cuts)
And twist to remove biscuits.
If you don't have a die grinder to remove burr left behind, try a sharp wood chisel.
The 80x40x3mm box can be split up the guts. Enough to get a pair for either end out of.
Once you have made a C channel out of of the box section.
Approx 35mm?
You can dry fit it and copy the original swing arm hole specs.
You will gain a few mm's in clearance, this can be absorbed in SS steel mudguard washer.
There is enough clearance to fit 5 or 6mm SS button head bolts to affix the C channel.
Drill the vertical swing arm bolt to suit.
You will need 2of 50 x 6mm bolts to suit the increase of thickness.
Photos uploaded will depend upon interest.
Far less flimsy, and heaps stronger. .
Backing plate for added strength has also been done.
Out riggers now swing out even. Without stress etc.

Last edited by mudgee hunter (15 July 2020 10:39 pm)

2 users like this post: LoneWolf, crustydog

Muk
16 July 2020 08:05 am

Put some photos on keen to have a look cheers Muk.

brendomac
16 July 2020 09:08 am

I've had a kings 2.5m side awning and a 1m awning for the rear. They both worked fine and I was happy with what I got (except the brackets rust super quick). But I wanted to close the gap between the two, since I was always wandering from my camp on the side of the car to my fridge in the back and wanted to dodge the rain.

So I got a 270 degree Kings awning. I thought it would be easier for a one-person setup.

Nope, the 270 really is a pain the bum. One of the roof poles bent on my first trip and putting it up and away is really suited to two people. I think the bent pole was my fault, it was raining, I was on a slope and I just wanted it put away.

If I had my time again, I would be looking for a 270 degree awning that self-supported when you got it out or put it away.

2 users like this post: Simmo, mudgee hunter

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site