⭐ Fossil show and tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1561849320_img_20190630_063119_hdr.jpg

Gassman said:

I've got a lot of fossils from Mt Britton when l lived in Mackay.
I used to drive out there and visit some of the old timers mining
I used to dig for old bottles and one property at Nebo l dug an old 38 revolver.
When l was having a rest l scratched some dirt out of the chambers and they still had bullets in them.
I give it to a guy l worked with as it was his sister and brother in laws property.
He left the sugar mill l worked at.
I then found out about a double murder in Nebo back in the 1920 era.
They blamed the Nebo copper but nothing was ever proved but he was sent to another area.
I reckon l had the muder weapon because l was within about a kilometre or so of Nebo which was in sight of where l was digging and who throws away a loaded 38 revolver.
The revolver was among old Queensland beer bottles which were dated 1917 to around 1920 or so

yep...went out to MT Britton whist i was there..very nice
.im a bottle collector myself....
.....good story.....i have also dug up up up a revolver in a tip in sth albury,,
but very old crusty guns the police cant or wont do anything....
too long gone....
if anyone wants directions to a place to go....
PM me...my back is RS so i wont be going back....just give me a coupla days to get back as Im not on the forum every day......

Gassman said:
yep...went out to MT Britton whist i was there..very nice
.im a bottle collector myself....
.....good story.....i have also dug up up up a revolver in a tip in sth albury,,
but very old crusty guns the police cant or wont do anything....
too long gone....
if anyone wants directions to a place to go....
PM me...my back is RS so i wont be going back....just give me a coupla days to get back as Im not on the forum every day......

Just as you turn right at Homevale station there is a big fossil bed but it's been picked over for many years.
A guy l worked with at Pleystowe mill worked at Homevale many years ago and bulldozed a lot of the rock to make a dam.
There is also spinel in and around that fossil bed that another mate told me is an indicator for sapphire.

And ironically a young apprentice and his mate dropped by to my place around the same time.
His mate worked on the ( l won't say where ;) ) very close to Nebo and said when they were grading the site they found sapphire but I've never been able to get there and test
I now live in Sydney.
The site is adjacent to the road and easily accessible

Dan the rock man said:
Is that like a star fish?
Same phylum from memory - echinodermata. But common name sea urchin. Imagine you take a star fish (the rarer 10 or 11 limbed species) and curve its legs upwards until they meet and it is a sphere - it will look like a sea urchin (without its spines).

1595049279_starfish-1-2017-2-1.jpg

1595049279_sea_urchin.jpg

1595049734_echinodermata.jpg

See my image.... there are heaps of fossil impressions on the cliff rocks of the Lake Maraboon. Many are impressions of soft jellyfish, some worm like creatures and others I can't work out.
However, I found these at the low water area in April 21 - by now they would be under a huge amount of water (thus protected).

Latest posts