Kangaroo whistle - sonic repeller

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had them on all my vehicles over the past 25 yrs, never seen a roo ever. Driving with mates on same roads lots of big greys about. I was sceptical on them but would highly recommend to any body. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Kangaroo repellent devices belong on the same shelf as
1584915083_capture.jpg

Been using them for 20+ years and only one unfortunate roo didn't make it.
What I will say, check them regularly while in WA outback (can't vouch for other states) the pesty big yellow & black hornets love to plug them up with mud.
And the breathers on your fuel tanks also get a visit, some filters out of pop up retic sprinklers are a perfect fit.

Started using the plastic ones in the late 80's after doing 10+ hour trips at night from Sydney to Cobar/Booligal. Had heaps of near misses and a few hits. Put them on and never hit one, still had to slow for a couple but didn't hit any. I don't know if anyone drove the Booligal to Cobar road back then but in some places the Roos were every 50m for km after km.

goldtrapper said:
Started using the plastic ones in the late 80's after doing 10+ hour trips at night from Sydney to Cobar/Booligal. Had heaps of near misses and a few hits. Put them on and never hit one, still had to slow for a couple but didn't hit any. I don't know if anyone drove the Booligal to Cobar road back then but in some places the Roos were every 50m for km after km.

Yeah cleaned up 8 just out of Cobar heading south one night towing a trailer behind the MQ shorty. 2 lots in the space of about 100 metres right on dusk and didn't see them until they were in front which accounted for 6 and another 2 about 50k's down the road. Only damage was the exhaust separated at the muffler and the trailer plug was ripped off, fortunately had another plug/ tools to sort the exhaust to get home. The shooy things are for those who have had a good experience or those who like the idea, no right or wrong at the end of the day.

Helen Bender from Melbourne uni researched and showed these don't work in her thesis. Shu Roo has not provided any research of their own to show it does work which says it all. They rely on anecdotal evidence to keep selling them.

The Shu Roo was found to be inaudible over the noise of a vehicle at 50m (not advertised 400m), is not targeted at the sensitive part of the kangaroo hearing frequencies and made no difference to the behaviour of kangaroos in static tests.

Note that the sound from a Shu Roo does not travel faster than the sound from your car.

To quote the research:

"The ineffectiveness of the Shu Roo should caution people against using other ultrasonic deterrent devices, at least for kangaroos."

Here's a link:

http://hdl.handle.net/11343/38945

You don't see Shu Roo or others backing up their claims with 170 odd pages of research.

Save your money.

Been to Booligal, Cobar and around Nyngan , Giralambone and Ford`s Bridge in the late 80`s and they were everywhere. Didn`t have a bullbar or any type of shoo roos and came home with bent guards ,grills and broken spotlights and punctured tyres.

Is the Booligal / Cobar road the one with all the causeway and floodway signs every couple of miles ?

What's the go with new bull bar designs hugging closely the the vehicle!
Bloody waste of time!
25mm gaps are a joke!
150mm air gap on a steel bar minimum!
Too many people worried abouts looks than sense!

just starting said:
Been to Booligal, Cobar and around Nyngan , Giralambone and Ford`s Bridge in the late 80`s and they were everywhere. Didn`t have a bullbar or any type of shoo roos and came home with bent guards ,grills and broken spotlights and punctured tyres.

Is the Booligal / Cobar road the one with all the causeway and floodway signs every couple of miles ?

I think so, was a long time ago, went through two one horse towns as well if I remember.

Back in about 1991 I drove my swb cruiser from Adelaide to Broken Hill to Burren Junction (NSW) back thru Mildura to Adelaide over 4 days. I had a big steel bullbar fitted and I was towing a 6x4 trailer and drove both day and night.
Over the 4 days I hit 13 roos. About every 3 or 4 I would have to stop and realign the bull lights as the sudden jolt of hitting the roos put them out of alignment. The only damage that was done was from the last roo that missed the cruiser and hit the trailer. Pushed a mudguard onto the tyre and blew the tyre.
Would Shoo Roos have worked? Doubt it.

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Back in about 1991 I drove my swb cruiser from Adelaide to Broken Hill to Burren Junction (NSW) back thru Mildura to Adelaide over 4 days. I had a big steel bullbar fitted and I was towing a 6x4 trailer and drove both day and night.
Over the 4 days I hit 13 roos. About every 3 or 4 I would have to stop and realign the bull lights as the sudden jolt of hitting the roos put them out of alignment. The only damage that was done was from the last roo that missed the cruiser and hit the trailer. Pushed a mudguard onto the tyre and blew the tyre.

Cheers

Doug

Well Doug If you had read previous users experience and not cafe latte sipping scientists "evidence" you would have found they do work.

goldtrapper said:
Rockhunter62 said:

Cheers

Doug

Well Doug If you had read previous users experience and not cafe latte sipping scientists "evidence" you would have found they do work.

What, would you want me to put them on the trailer? The land cruiser suffered no damage what so ever so why worry? The poor old kangaroos had been dead for 14 years by the time that report came out. If you were around 29 years ago you could of told me to buy some shoo roos just so those roos could of stayed alive and over populate the country side. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Doug

This seems to be a popular subject and each to their own. But like i said: in my opinion, they don't work. I understand that a lot of you guys stopped hitting the roos after installing these things, but considering i NEVER hit one before installing them even after driving through everywhere from the sandover to tom price, im 100% sure they just dont work.

Latte sipping scientists may be just that, but they get their information from everyday people like you and i. and without these latte sippers, we would not have access to some great resources such as the DNMR and GeoRes, nor equipment such as our tried and tested gold detectors. so bearing that in mind, im going to trust these guys about their findings in the same way i dont need to go into space to believe that the earth is round. ;)

think of it this way- if you go out to your favorite spot and take samples in one very small area and dont find any gold, that doesnt mean there is no gold anywhere else in that area. (good) scientific studies follow this same policy. sample different places and then compile the data to create an overall picture of the study. its impossible to sample every case the same way its impossible to check every square cm of dirt down to the bedrock in a whole area, so we have to used data projection to build a picture of our report, be that one for a mineralogical survey of an area or a report on the effectiveness of sonic repellent devices.

Zyka said:
so bearing that in mind, im going to trust these guys about their findings in the same way i dont need to go into space to believe that the earth is round. ;)

You're in for a surprise Zyka, the earth is as flat as an open Corona in the fridge all night....... :lol: :p

Nightjar said:
Zyka said:
so bearing that in mind, im going to trust these guys about their findings in the same way i dont need to go into space to believe that the earth is round. ;)

You're in for a surprise Zyka, the earth is as flat as an open Corona in the fridge all night....... :lol: :p

:lol: :lol: well then, disregard everything i just said!

Latest posts