Have You Found Coins Or Relics While Looking For Gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just starting said:
panther said:

Did the Loupe still have the glass in it , Panther ?

Yes it has. It doesn't look like it in the pic but it is a bit scratched. Not very powerful but it does work. :)

I wasn't initially looking for gold in the area but I also managed to find a few coins, junk, and bullet shells. After a few days of scouring the area I stumbled upon pieces of gold. It was a week to remember.

we were out having a swing a few weeks ago, at an old gold miners camp, and stumbled across an old 1850s era percussion pistol hammer and action/lock. just lying there on the ground. not many people have been over this ground i suspect, as the missus also found a sterling silver case frame of a gentlemans pocket watch, also lying on the ground un-buried. the base of the old ore crusher is about 200m from the old camp, and there appears to be a stone grave up the gully from the crusher, its a pile of non-ore bearing rocks, just bush rocks, about 7feet long, by 2-3 feet wide, very carefully laid and stacked in a mound about 18 inches high. they abandoned this mine around 1890, and there has not been much disturbance by man or cattle since as it is very dense bush and not very good country for live stock. we have never found detectable gold here, just flour gold in the creek beds, panning. awsome place though, and lots of history which i find fascinating.

Charlie79 said:
I found a 2010 10 cent coin the other day about a foot down in pretty untouched ground! Well so we thought.
Somebody probably buried that 10 cent coin deliberately to trick the next person to detect it (you) into thinking they had a nugget.

I was looking for gold rings a while back in a beach park situation. One of those nights where not much was happening , there had been a target that I walked over many times thinking it was junk or a number of drink cans close together . Anyways decided to dig it up and found my first coin hoard .

1585917401_1573daf2-6697-4bca-beed-ac83ec60fbef.jpg

The loupe has a glass. Just not visible in the picture. It is scratched but it works. When I first dug it up the solder had let go at the joints and I had to sweat it back together so it had obviously been buried for a very long time. It would have been devastating to the miner who lost it at the time I would guess.

Latest posts