Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AngerManagement said:
As soon as you get water in the NOX; remove the battery ASAP. Only take a min or two.

Li Iron and shorts is not a good thing.

Yup, know this hence the oven nap. Wasn't going to pull the battery then have warranty denied due to "Tampering".

Nope so PerthTim. But then again, AusPost can't find mine atm

Perth Tim said:
Feral said:
Sent mine away last Monday Registered post, Was supposed to arrive Thursday. Has been "Delayed" for some unknown reason :mad: :N: :mad: . Good luck getting it back in a weeks time. AusPost is blaming the wog on the delays.

Sorry but can't help on the waterproof thing

I just got a message saying they are awating parts. I might need to buy a backup.

I've been thinking about a backup too, Tim. For something cheaper than a Nox 600, have you thought about the Nokta Makro Simplex (<$500). I'd like to see some more feedback on how they perform in salt water. They are supposed to be IP68 rated with the unit submersible to 3m like the Nox. Or have you thought about a Nokta PulseDive (<$300) which would be a good backup for diving - no bells and whistles but you should be able to find rings etc. that are a few inches from the surface.

I have been looking at the PulseDive and will be getting one soon. Saw something on another Forum about a larger coil, 8 inch. Waiting to see if that is real or not as I couldn't find any reference to it on the Nokta website.

1584830670_90442013_4067530353260789_7285089623003365376_o.jpg

From the Nokta Makro Faceplant page

I don't do faceplant, was from the link on another site. Looks like it is real.

Good video of a guy scuba diving with PulseDive. Looks like it does the job, but the coil is really small so an 8" would be good. If you weren't scuba diving you might be a bit limited with the depths you operate at. Tim, I assume with the Nox that you can detect on top of the water while breathing and then duck down for a target.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnoeXAb1EHI[/video]

Yep that's how i do it with the nox, however i bought a hookah unit this week so i can stay under. Killing me to not have the nox and give it a go.

Hi AngerManagement,
You mentioned getting a detector rated for 5m. Do you have any to recommend.
I've been looking at the Minelab Equinox or the TDI BeachHunter. I have a friend who has a Sea Hunter Mark 2.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on different detectors as I am looking for one now since my Surfmaster PI Pro is being service right now. :)
I'm specifically looking for one to use at the beach and in the water and fully in the water.

Found-It said:
Hi AngerManagement,
I've been looking at the Minelab Equinox or the TDI BeachHunter. I have a friend who has a Sea Hunter Mark 2.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on different detectors as I am looking for one now since my Surfmaster PI Pro is being service right now. :)
I'm specifically looking for one to use at the beach and in the water and fully in the water.

5M or there abouts... then the Excalibur II or maybe one of the Notka units . The pulse dive pinpointer with a big coil is also an option.

Depends on where you are using it and how. Scuba Vs Snorkling vs wading.

And all submersible equipment needs TLC. So often the faults and problems can all come back to lack of respect and duty of care by the user...

Danny13 said:
Perth Tim said:
Yep that's how i do it with the nox, however i bought a hookah unit this week so i can stay under. Killing me to not have the nox and give it a go.
How much did you pick up the Hookah unit for Tim?
I paid $1600 secondhand.

Danny13 said:
Perth Tim said:
Danny13 said:
Perth Tim said:
How much did you pick up the Hookah unit for Tim?
I paid $1600 secondhand.
Thats a good price
If you get one, get a lithium battery, much better run time and less fade

Thank you so much for your input.
I'd be doing wading and snorkeling.
I will look into the various ones you mentioned.
And yes, I agree completely about the TLC for the equipment.
Thank you again!
AngerManagement said:
Found-It said:
Hi AngerManagement,

5M or there abouts... then the Excalibur II or maybe one of the Notka units . The pulse dive pinpointer with a big coil is also an option.

Depends on where you are using it and how. Scuba Vs Snorkling vs wading.

And all submersible equipment needs TLC. So often the faults and problems can all come back to lack of respect and duty of care by the user...

Interesting thread, I have a nox600, fully dunked it maybe twice, but I try not to, just dunk the coil and keep the headpiece dry.

Hi all, am gonna be pimping up the nox very soon, with the red belly carbon shaft from detect ed, and was wondering if anyone knows if you can get coloured scratch plates?? Why not, bit of fun :playful: :fire:

I like the idea of 3D printing too, but after buying one for Kato and then getting her to work with Blender, some CAD software and then printing...

just odd things, it is a lot of work and time to get something to fit 'right'.

Your personal time is free, but someone else will charge you and make that an expensive coil plate to 3D print.

But if you can get it done cheap, let us all know please, I am on the edge of an 800 purchase. :)

My ACE 250 just has orange Gaffa tape on it,
Kato's CTX3030 just the original cover plate. (I have to check it, she probably has some damage on that one, works it hard)

:)

Latest posts