X Coils for GPX/QED/GPZ detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JP,

I will be interested to see how you go with it, is it lighter than the GPZ19 ?

How does Minelab sit with your use of these coils, bypassing their security measures ?

Cheers, Rick

Araratgold said:
wiley coyote said:
G'day Rick. I'm interested in the 21"x 22" coil. Do you know what it will cost, and, how much it weighs? wiley.

Not sure yet mate although I do know that it will cost more than $1500, Dave seems to think around $1800.

Weight wise, I think they are getting it close to the standard GPZ14, as it is open spoke design, although still to be confirmed.

Cheers, Rick

G'day Rick

The Russian Manufacture is making two 22x21 coils and sending them to me, (for sale) one is sold already, and Araratgold may well get the other one. :perfect:

The cost is less than the initial indication, and more like $1600 and yes it is open spoke design and not sure of the weight yet but if it's similar to the first proto type it will be ok in that department as well

cheers dave

davsgold said:
Araratgold said:
wiley coyote said:
G'day Rick. I'm interested in the 21"x 22" coil. Do you know what it will cost, and, how much it weighs? wiley.

Not sure yet mate although I do know that it will cost more than $1500, Dave seems to think around $1800.

Weight wise, I think they are getting it close to the standard GPZ14, as it is open spoke design, although still to be confirmed.

Cheers, Rick

G'day Rick

The Russian Manufacture is making two 22x21 coils and sending them to me, (for sale) one is sold already, and Araratgold may well get the other one. :perfect:

The cost is less than the initial indication, and more like $1600 and yes it is open spoke design and not sure of the weight yet but if it's similar to the first proto type it will be ok in that department as well

cheers dave

I will put my name on that second one Dave ! :perfect:

Cheers, Rick

Going to put a full day in tomorrow and probably Thursday as well with the 17, going back over some of my old patches, now that the weather is starting to improve ! :D

Hope to get some vids done for my YouTube channel as well, with my new 4K dedicated video camera. :Y:

Cheers, Rick

Got out today for a few hours in between showers and managed to get one nice little 1.5 grammer in an area I have carefully gridded with stringlines. Was detecting in HY Normal, sensitivity 18 and no smoothing. 17 inch X coil.

Ground was damp and normal moaned a bit, but the targets still yelled out. Normal general ran noticeably quieter that normal HY.

Filmed in 4K with a new dedicated video camera, hope you enjoy. The X coil is dynamite, and I can see many more nuggets coming ! :D

Cheers, Rick

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/15qX2VSzqT4[/video]

Araratgold said:
JP,

I will be interested to see how you go with it, is it lighter than the GPZ19 ?

How does Minelab sit with your use of these coils, bypassing their security measures ?

Cheers, Rick

Hi Rick, I think you will like it in your ground where there is soil cover, in gravelly ground where there is no soil cover and the gravel is full of Magnetite and Hematite they will saturate quite readily. If you want to use General/Difficult you will soon discover it hates being rubbed or bumped, I found even sprinkling small gravels onto the coil caused some resonance responses through the audio, so they are quite bad for that!

Depth is good and of course it is a pleasure to use weight wise. I personally would have preferred a solid coil rather than a spoked design, as the edges of the spoke sections are always bad for sticks and rocks clipping the edges, even the GPZ 19 coil is bad for this (thankfully NuggetFinder make a solid skid plate for them).

My one is a Spiral wound, I actually prefer the spirals for sensitivity and having less rub and bump sensitivity compared to the traditional wound coils. The guy who builds them has not got back to me yet on why this is so. Spiral wound is a lot heavier though. My one also has a mod to get rid of the signal off the Ferrite, so will be a lot quieter in High X soils. It adds weight but runs a LOT quieter!!

As for your last question I am not at liberty to fully discuss this subject as it is ongoing. There have been reports of some coils bringing up a coil not connected alarm on some units which is NOT good, how Minelab would view this if a detector was to come in for repair I am unsure but am pretty sure they can easily tell by any damage that might result. Mine have been OK so far except for the odd Coil Overload message when changing Gold Modes and Ground Type Modes, I now just lift the coil into the air while changing modes to avoid the coil being directly coupled to highly mineralised ground. I have also discovered there is quite a bit of variation in these coils when comparing like for like, not sure if this is due to them making changes or just the difficulties in hand making them, either way one coil will be very good to use and the other average. The ground I tend to work is extremely variable and has high X signal, all detectors have their own behaviours in this type of ground.

In the right locations the coils will be beneficial purely for the weight reduction and variety of size options, especially the smaller ones in tighter places. Targeting quieter soils or areas that have a cover of quieter soils overlaying mineralised gravels are the best for these coils. I pinged a 8 gram chunk with the X 17 Spiral missed by me many times using the GPZ19 coil, this coil was really nice to use at this location in General/Difficult and slammed the 8 grammer really well!

JP

Love the video Rick...congrats.
Confidence must be growing as is mine and I haven't even got mine yet.

Anymore updates on the coil mate? Keen to hear more on the performance of these things before I get one for myself.

Big size of X-coils, 25"
1588235405_247529817_346331.jpg

Support the Russians, they probably need the money more than the local aussie companies at the moment :awful: